Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: COPABE Pan Am Qualifying and other

COPABE Pan Am Qualifying and other

Ok...COPABE appears to run a lot of things, including the South American games I attended in Colombia, but they are loathsome when it comes to finding out information. Does anybody know where I can find information on the what is listed as the COPABE Pan Am Qualifying in San Juan in October (1st-10th) and the 16U Pan Am Championships in Culiacan the following week.

I would like to attend one of those, but I'm curious on which countries will be participating. I can't find ANY information on this at all.

Oh well

I see that COPABE has a newer updated web site, which is nice, but there is still very little information on it. I wrote USA baseball, and finally got a message back from a friend through Facebook, and not through USA baseball, about the qualifier in San Juan. I wrote Canada baseball, and got an answer back through a friend, which was, we know nothing, but at least he answerd. It didn't matter. I booked my ticket and I'll be there for the first six days of the tournament. I could not stay for it all, but I'll see a lot of it. I just can't wait until they post a schedule and a way for me to get tickets.

Ha ha. This is international baseball you're talking about here. Did you really expect it to be well organized?

It sure was easy to find information for the European Championships. That stuff was posted WAY ahead of time, and had plenty of information.

Okay, I should have been more specific -- This is international baseball in the Americas that we're talking about. Almost no chance of it being well organized.

Rosters set at 24 (Cuba right now has 39 practicing, Nicaragua 29).
    Twelve countries will participate; besides Cuba and Nicaragua the host country, Puerto Rico, will be there, and the Dominican Republic, Mexico, Netherlands Antilles, Venezuela, Colombia, Argentina, Canada, Aruba and the United States. They will be divided into two groups. No Major Leaguers (40-man roster) will be permitted to play, but all others pros will be allowed.
    Panama has indicated they would be willing to replace any last minute cancellations.
    The top seven teams qualify to the 2011 Pan American games in Guadalajara, Mexico. Of those, the top six will participate in the World Cup, not awarded yet to any country.
    At the end of October the Intercontinental Cup (by invitation) will be held in Taiwan, which will be the second and last elite tournament of the year.

I am surprised it is Aruba and not Panama. Otherwise everything follows their Top 12 Rankings in COPABE. Where are you getting your information titorondon, and where can I buy tickets? Also, are they using Roberto Clemente and Hiram Bithorn, 3 games a piece at each stadium? Will there be a tournament pass I can get or is it by the game or by the day? Help me out man

How did Panama get left out of this? That seems very odd.

Where can I find copies of the preliminary rosters for Cuba and Nicaragua? What is the official name of the tournament?

As far as I know, even though I'll be there, the official name is the COPABe Pan-American and World Cup Qualifying Tournament. And good luck finding rosters. I can't even find a schedule yet, and the thing starts in 3 weeks. There is not any ticket information, and I've even had contact with the locals renting me a condo, who are avid baseball nuts in Puerto Rico and they told me they have not even HEARD of this tournament at all. Nobody as any idea it is going on. Of course that makes it easier for me to get tickets, but I would prefer a tournament pass so I can come and go between Hiram Bithorn and Roberto Clemente as I please.

Quote Originally Posted by Mischa View Post
    Where can I find copies of the preliminary rosters for Cuba and Nicaragua? What is the official name of the tournament?
    Cuba announces its National Pre-Selection Baseball Team

Unit312J -- I don't think there will be much "coming and going" between stadiums. I read that the first round is at one stadium and the second round is at another stadium, with, at most, a couple of games at a third stadium during the first round.

In Spanish:
    http://www.laprensa.com.ni/2010/09/08/deportes/37102
    Basically, Group A, Argentina, Aruba, Canada, Dominican Republic, Panama and Puerto Rico. Group B ("Death Group"): Colombia, Cuba, Mexico, Netherlands Antilles, Nicaragua, United States.
    Four qualify from each group for the next round.
    The stadia to be used are Cholo Garcia in Mayaguez, Clemente in Carolina and Montaner in Ponce. There will be two games each day in each park.
    The schedule: Ponce, Canada-Panama and P. Rico-Aruba;nMayaguez, Colombia-Nicaragua, Cuba-Venezuela; Carolina, USA-Mexico and Dominican-Argentina.

They must have changed the scheduling. The last article in P.R. said one stadium for round one and then another stadium for round two, with a few games at a third stadium.

I noticed Panama is now included. I also noticed Group B is much stronger than Group A. I wonder if the organizers are hedging in case Cuba pulls a last-minute no-show. If Cuba does that, the groups would be balanced at six teams apiece. Only 22 days 'til the games; we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Agente Libre View Post
    I wonder if the organizers are hedging in case Cuba pulls a last-minute no-show. If Cuba does that...
    why should Cuba???? Did they ever do so? There are other teams I would bet on for not showing up!

btw I wonder where are the "highly ranked teams" like Brasil, Guatemala, Honduras etc that are mentioned in the WBC thread about needing to be a participant??
    The only thing you know is you never know and that you know for sure!

I have been in contact with one of the big supporters and stuff with the Cuban team. They will be there. They've announced their rosters, preliminary, and there have been several articles written about it. He wrote me that there delegation is stunned that Cuba and USA are in the same group. The announcement that games will be played in Mayaquez was a surprise, as that is no where near San Juan. Hiram Bithorm must really be a piece of crap if they are skipping that. I'll be seeing games in Ponce and Carolina all week

As for a no-show think Venezuela. They are the ones that have been jerking everybody around. They almost cancelled the South American games, they did not show in the Haarlam Week, they were late in Thunder Bay, and they arrived in Germany last year without the proper equipment. Yet they are mentioned as the possible World Cup host next year. Not good.

My only decision is whether to go to Ponce and see my 1st Aruba game on day 1 or to go to Carolina and see another USA vs. Mexico game

Hiram Bithorn is probably too expensive.
    If you look at the groups, since 8 teams go to the next round, 7 qualify for the Mexico PanAms and six for BWC, it stands to reason than 90 percent of the objective is achieved by beating two teams in the first round. In other words, Puerto Rico only has to beat Aruba and Argentina to advance, then beat two more teams (difficult) and they make it.
    Notice that P. Rico has announced Carlos Delgado (again, he did not play in the CA & Caribbean games) plus a bunch of active pros.
    Nicaragua has decided to save $6000 and has not called Ofilio Castro, active double A player, or any other active (OB) pros.
    There is what they call a "Technical Meeting" the day before play starts, when they approve rosters, schedules and maybe some special rule. Rosters are pre-inscribed so what they do is just pare them down to 24, and that takes care of last minute abscences, injuries, etc.
    The problem is that they skimp on computer savvy people, and we wind up without detailed rosters, boxscores, etc. There have been tournaments in which I just sat next to the official scorer and copied him, in order to have a record, info, and a little scouting. Puerto Rico is famous for being allergic to the internet...

Quote Originally Posted by Paula59 View Post
    why should Cuba???? Did they ever do so? There are other teams I would bet on for not showing up!
    Cuba has no-showed so many events that it's hard to count them all. For one thing, Cuba just boycotted the entire 2010 Central American & Caribbean Games which were held ... in Puerto Rico.
    Last edited by Agente Libre; 09-09-2010 at 02:58 PM.

Doesn't Mexico, as host, have an automatic bid to every event in the 2011 Pan Ams?

Once again, Cuba gets a big break in an international event. They restructured the groups for the P.R. tournament and now, lo and behold, Cuba is in the 6-team Group A, with only the D.R. as a serious threat (with P.R. and Panama as much lesser threats). Meanwhile, the 7-team Group B retains the U.S., Canada, Venezuela, and Mexico.

"Doesn't Mexico, as host, have an automatic bid to every event in the 2011 Pan Ams?"

It's not clear! They were talking about seven qualifiers, but since Mexico is participating, now they mention eight.

My guess is that the PanAm qualifiers will be Mexico (the host nation at Guadalajara) and the best seven others.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast