Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 189

Thread: Running across the mound

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Round Lake Beach, Il
    Posts
    2,480

    Running across the mound

    http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/art...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

    What do you all make of this story?

    I never heard of it before, I guess its understandable, though I dont think it was something to get that upset about.
    "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
    -Rogers Hornsby-

    "People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
    -Rogers Hornsby-

    Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    7,554
    Well considering A-Roid is an idiot, this comes as no shock. Braden is right - someone with as much "status" ought to know better. But wait, don't people know that rules don't apply to Alex?
    WAR? Prove it!

    Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    An hour from Cooperstown
    Posts
    8,153
    I've been watching baseball for 50 years, and I never saw anyone do that, so there must be something to it. A-Rod should know better, but maybe he's too big for the game.
    "Only twice in my life has the hair on the back of my neck stood up straight. The first time was when I saw Michaelangelo's Sistine Chapel. The second time was when I saw Sandy Koufax's fastball" - Al Campanis.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,556
    I was watching the Met game and the announcers were talking about it. Ron Darling said no player ever did that when he was on the mound. I don't recall seeing it in any game I've watched. This is just A-Rod being a jackass.
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

    "If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

    "At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New Fairfield, CT
    Posts
    416
    I have seen so many players do that and many other things during a game. Did he defiantly stand on the pitching rubber, kick at the dirt, and spit in Bradens face? No. (he couldn't have ventured more than a foot onto the mound) Since most players tend to have superstitions and quirks/beliefs...I can understand him being a little annoyed, but to blow that so out of proportion and get so visibly upset in the middle of a game was quite rediculous. Perhaps he should have commented on the fairly decent game he pitched today against a very good team. I can't wait to see the supposed "retaliation" (for such a horrid, classless display by the most vile, dispicable creature to every play the pure game of baseball) later this year. Thats it Braden, stick it to the big bad man!
    Last edited by Gehrig27; 04-22-2010 at 10:31 PM.
    ..."I might have been given a bad break, but I've got an awful lot to live for."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,511
    Rick Sutcliffe said he was unsure of this unwritten rule. Another guy on Baseball Tonight (a former player - I can't think of his name) said he never heard of it.

    Here's the video of ARod running across the mound. It'll probably be deleted by Youtube soon.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty54Rjrb3QI
    Last edited by ipitch; 04-22-2010 at 11:11 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Redwood City
    Posts
    2,221
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubsfan97 View Post
    http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/art...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

    What do you all make of this story?

    I never heard of it before, I guess its understandable, though I dont think it was something to get that upset about.
    I guess you aren't aware or appreciate how pitchers groom the mound either.
    To your credit you can imagine why a pitcher's mound being *stomped on* might be considered bad form. I can understand why a pitcher would get PO'd.

    I can imagine it wan't purposeful on his part too. I would expect it wasn't intentional , but simply stupid mindless oversight.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,511
    Quote Originally Posted by CandlestickBum View Post
    I guess you aren't aware or appreciate how pitchers groom the mound either.
    To your credit you can imagine why a pitcher's mound being *stomped on* might be considered bad form. I can understand why a pitcher would get PO'd.

    I can imagine it wan't purposeful on his part too. I would expect it wasn't intentional , but simply stupid mindless oversight.
    How can you say it's a "stupid mindless oversight" when it's an unwritten rule that all some MLBers aren't even aware of?

    And, he didn't stomp on the mound. He merely ran across it. He likely did far less "damage" to the mound than his infielders do when they have a meeting on the mound.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,142
    This is the same clown who bellowed into a fielder's ear on the basepaths a couple of years ago, not to mention that little Ruth Buzzi act he pulled in the '04 playoffs at first base.

    For all of his obvious talent, he has no idea what he's doing or how to act on a diamond. Someone should have set him straight, long ago.
    3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

    Im honored to go into the Baseball Hall of Fame with such a great group of men. - Tom Glavine.

  10. #10
    A-rod Didn't even make it out of April before being cussed.

  11. #11
    what a silly silly thing to be upset about. pitchers can be the biggest prima donnas around.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Waterloo, IL
    Posts
    1,290
    Quote Originally Posted by rockin500 View Post
    what a silly silly thing to be upset about. pitchers can be the biggest prima donnas around.
    By far. Pitchers are idiots. Really? This is something to get that ticked off about? Just pitch and quit b#tching.
    Mike Hopper
    Former Gateway Grizzlies Intern

  13. #13
    I wonder how many people here are bad mouthing A-Rod over it, but didn't know about the rule themselves, but because they hate A-Rod they bad mouth him anyway.

    Sorry, it may be an "unwritten" rule, but to get PO'd over it is ridiculous.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,273
    I'm sorry, but not knowing about an unwritten rule (that's completely asinine anyway) isn't a big deal. Sure, A-Rod's done some dumb things in the past, but this just doesn't really matter. And kicking stuff in front of his own dugout just made him look like a clown.

    A-Rod should have apologized, not because what he did was bad, but just to be diplomatic.
    The Dark Knight is the best movie I've ever seen.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    I wonder how many people here are bad mouthing A-Rod over it, but didn't know about the rule themselves, but because they hate A-Rod they bad mouth him anyway.

    Sorry, it may be an "unwritten" rule, but to get PO'd over it is ridiculous.
    very true!! this has more to do with it being A-Rod then what he did. people need to calm down.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    7,554
    Quote Originally Posted by finch5682 View Post
    very true!! this has more to do with it being A-Rod then what he did. people need to calm down.
    Of course it's all about A-Roid. He's BOTH a cry baby and a cheater.
    WAR? Prove it!

    Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

  17. #17
    Maybe Pay-Roid did it absent-mindedly. Just kind of a brain fart moment. You know, kind of like when that guy pulled his pants down in front of the whole stadium to brush the dirt off after sliding into first.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by finch5682 View Post
    very true!! this has more to do with it being A-Rod then what he did. people need to calm down.

    I don't say all but I'm sure that there are a number making a big stink over this..............because they just don't like AROD.
    It probably wouldn't be as big a deal if some other player did the same.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,511
    Bill James:
    "I've never heard of such a rule. To be honest, people are always coming up with unwritten rules that you're not supposed to do something that they don't happen to like, but usually, it's some old manager who is upset about a kid bunting to break up a no-hitter or something. THAT'S annoying, but when it's a fairly anonymous player springing an unwritten rule on a 34-year-old Hall of Famer who has been on the All-Star team since Dallas Braden was in the 6th grade. . .well, what can you say?"

    Keith Hernandez:
    “I don’t know if there is an unwritten rule, but I would never do that.”

    Michael Duca (author of a book on baseball's unwritten rules):
    "It was very common (to observe the rule) in the '40s, '50s and '60s. Bob Gibson was very well versed in protecting what he called his office. He told people to say the ... out of my office. Had that been Gibson on the mound, A-Rod would have picked himself off the grass to get back to first. He would have decked him. No question about it."

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    22,202
    Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    I wonder how many people here are bad mouthing A-Rod over it, but didn't know about the rule themselves, but because they hate A-Rod they bad mouth him anyway.

    Sorry, it may be an "unwritten" rule, but to get PO'd over it is ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
    I don't say all but I'm sure that there are a number making a big stink over this..............because they just don't like AROD.
    It probably wouldn't be as big a deal if some other player did the same.


    Exactly. It's just an excuse to whine about A-Rod again. A-Rod haters are simply a ridiculous lot.
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 04-23-2010 at 11:45 AM.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    Exactly. It's just an excuse to whine and A-Rod again. A-Rod haters are simply a ridiculous lot.
    But, but, he gets paid for playing baseball. And he took steroids, I mean, really took steroids. And out of the hundreds of players who did he really took steroids.
    I can understand why a player should not cut across the pitcher's mound as he's making his way back to first from third. Little attempts to crack the pitcher's concentration and such make sense as an "unwritten rule," regardless of who is on the mound or who is walking across it. The fact this happens to be A-Rod just gives more fuel to the tunnel-visioned haters.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill JEDI

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    Exactly. It's just an excuse to whine and A-Rod again. A-Rod haters are simply a ridiculous lot.
    The problem I had with A-Rod was what he said after the game. Basically called Dallas Braden a nobody and he shouldn't be listened to.
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

    "If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

    "At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    725
    Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    Exactly. It's just an excuse to whine and A-Rod again. A-Rod haters are simply a ridiculous lot.
    Well, I'm not an A-Rod hater - I've never really complained about anything he's done. Even when he left Seattle, I sympathized with a guy that was offered $25 million dollars to play baseball. Who WOULDN'T accept that? Even so, I look at his behavior, some of the things he's done since cashing that paycheck, and I start to agree that he really doesn't respect the players and the game as much as he should.

    I haven't heard of this unwritten rule - but I have seen it in effect. On plays identical to this one, I've seen players take a nice banana route around the mound. In fact, in 20+ years of watching and playing baseball, I've never seen anyone do what A-Rod did. I believe he did it on purpose to upset Braden -- not because he knew of this unwritten rule, but because he's A-Rod (the guy that admitted to using steroids (cheating), yelled "I got it!" on an infield fly ball as a baserunner (unsportsmanlike), and allegedly gave up his pitchers' pitches to opposing hitters in exchange for the same favor(treason)).

    Just seems like something he'd do to give himself or his team an edge.
    Swing and a drive! This one is deep! This one is... over the fence and into the neighbor's yard!

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by NYMets523 View Post
    The problem I had with A-Rod was what he said after the game. Basically called Dallas Braden a nobody and he shouldn't be listened to.
    I should hope when ac tual issues with A-Rod are pointed out, garbage like that is the main reason why he is disliked. Sometimes the source should be considered when someone speaks up like Braden did, and sometimes a jerk is a jerk.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill JEDI

  25. #25
    And just like that, Dallas Braden's Baseball-Reference sponsorship mentions the incident.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •