Thread: Youth Catcher's Mitt?

Question Youth Catcher's Mitt?

My son is 8 years old, and is currently playing on a coach pitch tournament team. I am probably going to buy him a catcher's mitt pretty soon because he seems to have settled in as the near full time catcher, and he really enjoys catching. I don't want to spend a fortune because he may not get to play catcher next year when he moves up to kid pitch, but as long as he's enjoying himself, I want to do what I can to help him. This weekend was the first time he's ever complained about his hand hurting, so up to this point, he's just been catching with his regular glove. That is obviously part of the reason why I want to go ahead and buy him a mitt.

I'm looking at a few models and was hoping for some advice:

Akadema Prodigy Series AGC98 - 32" - $60
    Rawlings Gold Glove 32.5" - $83
    Louisville Slugger Helix Series 32.5" - $70

Can anyone provide any feedback on these gloves? Are there other youth sized mitts out there that I should consider that would be in a similar price range (up to $120 or so)?

Thanks for the help! I can't contribute much to this website, but I enjoy lurking and reading the threads.

It would probably be best to let him go and feel each one on his hand if possible.

I got my nephew one like this on closeout at dicks at christmas time. It was nice as it was pretty much broken in already.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Nike-Air-Sho...item335abf9ba5

My son plays 9u they use an all star mitt - i think it is this one - http://www.ballglovewarehouse.com/pr...ew.aspx?p=4680

I hadn't thought about eBay yet. Thanks for the reminder and the links.

Unfortunately, there aren't many baseball stores where I live. We went to Academy and he tried on one mitt that fit him pretty good, but it just didn't seem to have a whole lot of padding. We also went to our local indoor training facility which has a pro shop, and they didn't have any mitts for righties. Those two places are really the only two places that would've had a good mitt. I would have loved for him to get to demo a few mitts, play some soft catch and let him figure out which one he likes the best, but unless we drive 1.5 hours, that won't be possible. I've read reviews on the three gloves listed, and they all seem like solid gloves. I sure wish my son could play with all three gloves, but I figured that someone out there would know if one of these gloves really stood out.

I'll check eBay, now.

My 11 year old still catches with his Akadema AGC98- 32. Great glove small amount of break in time and I highly recommend for 8-12.

You get what you pay for (usually). I'd go with the Rawlings.
    Jason
    Five Tool Prospects
    www.fivetoolprospects.com

"I try to hit every ball as far as I can."
    ~Matt Stairs

In addition to the Akadema - which is a nice glove, you can try to locate an Easton TB22. They're fairly cheap (under $50 when my son got his a few years ago), and are a good size for younger kids.

My son used his from his last season of coach pitch through his last season of Mustang level, so about 5 seasons (spring/fall). It held up fine without any issues.

Thanks for all of the replies so far! I appreciate the feedback and help.

I've found the Worth "Prospect" series to be a pretty good value at that age level. I'm trying to figure out how a kid's hand hurts in coach pitch. Usually, the leagues are using "Soft Strike" or "Incrediball" balls. And the ball isn't coming in very hard anyway, so that often kids are better off using their regular fielder's glove behind the plate. (And, if his hand hurts, it's cheaper to get a $18 Palmguard 'underglove' than a $60 catcher's mitt.) Also, you may want to wait until near the beginning of the season when he'll be catching kid pitch to make the investment, to see what he's comfortable with.

I know it sounds strange, Ursa. My son has caught 22 games so far, and it's never been a problem with his hand hurting so he's always used his regular glove because that is what he's comfortable with especially if he has to catch a throw and make a play at the plate. But, we use regular baseballs, and the team we faced on Sunday, the coach threw much harder than any coaches that we seen so far. There was no arc to his throw...it was just a straight, hard pitch, but his kids handled the faster pitches very well. They hit the crud out of the ball. It was the first time I've seen an 8 year old hit one over a 200' centerfield fence, and it was a no doubter as soon as he hit it.

I tried to do the best research that I could, and I appreciate all of the responses to my question. It came down to the Akadema or the Rawlings, and since I couldn't decide, I let my kid pick which one he liked the best. He thought that the all black Rawlings looked cooler so that's the one he picked. I went ahead and ordered it, so once it comes in, we have to start the process of breaking it in. Thanks, everyone!

Hard balls for coach pitch? 8 year olds hitting 200+ foot homers? Sheesh! What's next? An African-American president? A woman getting a Best Director Oscar?

Quote Originally Posted by Ursa Major View Post
    Hard balls for coach pitch? 8 year olds hitting 200+ foot homers? Sheesh! What's next? An African-American president? A woman getting a Best Director Oscar?
    Holey home-run batman! A 200 ft no-doubter by an 8 year old? And who's the mental giant letting 8 year olds play with regular baseballs. Someone is going to get hurt. Unless it is a league full of travel teams. There are some very good 8 year olds but I cant imagine a whole league full of them. I've got 12 year olds who shouldn't be playing with hard baseballs.

When will this madness end?

My sarcasm-meter might be broken because I can't tell if Ursa and bballdad are being serious or not. This was a SuperSeries tournament in central Texas, so all of the teams were travel teams. But, even in our local Little League, we use regular baseballs but it is machine pitch and not coach pitch. The teeballers use the softer balls for the 5-6 year olds.

Quote Originally Posted by bvaughn97 View Post
    My sarcasm-meter might be broken because I can't tell if Ursa and bballdad are being serious or not. This was a SuperSeries tournament in central Texas, so all of the teams were travel teams. But, even in our local Little League, we use regular baseballs but it is machine pitch and not coach pitch. The teeballers use the softer balls for the 5-6 year olds.
    Yes, I was being sarcastic but it was late and I was tired.

I'm very surprised at the use of regular baseballs in 7-8 rec league play. I understand that some kids will have the ability but there are a good amount of others who don't. Check out the level 5 wilson baseballs. They are much "harder" than a t-ball like an easton incrediball, but still with more "give" than a regular baseball. Every now and then one of my 12U kids will play catch with one that gets in the bucket and they hardly notice. The 8U won't notice at all...