Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yanks Tenor Ronan Tynan Fired From GBA Gig

Yanks Tenor Ronan Tynan Fired From GBA Gig

Wave goodbye to this idiot, about bloody time.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playof...ory?id=4572196
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    Wave goodbye to this idiot, about bloody time.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playof...ory?id=4572196
    You say stupid anti-semetic remarks, you lose my respect. I hope he doesn't come back. What a shame, he had a great voice.

Quote Originally Posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
    You say stupid anti-semetic remarks, you lose my respect. I hope he doesn't come back. What a shame, he had a great voice.
    I don't think he'll be back. Apparently he meant "God Bless America as long as you're not Jewish", and I don't think that interpretation is going to fly with any Yankees season ticket holders who might be Jewish, and I'll bet there are more than a few.
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

There are singers out there just as good who aren't going to make blatantly stupid comments.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

OR they could join the rest of baseball and ditch that crap for a more traditional 7th inning!
    Lisa: [showing off a tomato the size of a beach ball] I've grown a futuristic tomato by fertilizing it with anabolic steroids.
    Bart: The kind that help our Olympic athletes reach new peaks of excellence?
    Lisa: The very same.

-The Simpsons episode 9F14 "Duffless"

Quote Originally Posted by sturg1dj View Post
    OR they could join the rest of baseball and ditch that crap for a more traditional 7th inning!
    they could, but i doubt it...

Maybe they can train that eagle who swoops in majestically (or is it a hawk) to sing it. That entrance won't be topped.
    Robin JEDI

I'm a huge Yankees fan and a musician/singer.
    Tynan has always struck me as mediocre at best...purposeless.
    Oh wait...and he's racist too???
    Two words...

Buh

Bye.

So does this mean no more five-minute renditions of "God Bless America"? Darn.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
    Maybe they can train that eagle who swoops in majestically (or is it a hawk) to sing it. That entrance won't be topped.
    Or maybe even have someone sing a song about eagles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFmMGYv3mag

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle1 View Post
    Or maybe even have someone sing a song about eagles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFmMGYv3mag

He can probably use the gig.
    Robin JEDI

He made an inappropriate joke and everyone cries racism. Most, if not all of us, have made jokes that would be considered by some racist, sexist, or bigoted in some way or another at some point in our lives. Obviously what he said was wrong, but jumping all over him like he's a terrible person because he happened to get his name in the paper for it hardly seems fair.

Of course nobody cares that he has personally apologized to the woman, gave a donation to a charity of her choice, and has offered to sing for free for a charity event if invited. He's just a racist scumbag the world would be better off without...

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeDJW View Post
    He made an inappropriate joke and everyone cries racism. Most, if not all of us, have made jokes that would be considered by some racist, sexist, or bigoted in some way or another at some point in our lives. Obviously what he said was wrong, but jumping all over him like he's a terrible person because he happened to get his name in the paper for it hardly seems fair.

Of course nobody cares that he has personally apologized to the woman, gave a donation to a charity of her choice, and has offered to sing for free for a charity event if invited. He's just a racist scumbag the world would be better off without...
    We should be about second chances and making amends for mistakes. It seems Tynan has tried to right a wrong in an appropriate manner. I am offended by what he said but it doesn't make him a terrible person, per se. Making unprompted idiotic remarks isn't something that is going to be forgotten, but I can live with the man doing what he can to show what he said was a mistake, not an intentional one (and it seems that is what he really is doing) and returning to his job once the Yankees deem it appropriate.
    Robin JEDI

What the hell, how many times did they bring Billy Martin back? I suppose anything's possible. I still think he's an idiot, however much he apologizes. I'm not a fan of Tynan, or the song, or the Yankees' ham-handed attempt to make it the second national anthem and make us all stand at attention for it. But if they do bring him back, which I doubt they will, I will hold my nose and let the man sing.
    Last edited by ol' aches and pains; 10-20-2009 at 01:45 PM.

this is very true, but do you think he should be punished or not. I understand being fired and no punishment are not the only 2 outcomes...but what would you have be done to an employee of "the classiest" team in baseball who is also well known in a city with a large Jewish population?

I am not saying firing was fair, but neither is a slap on the wrist (or nothing at all).
    Lisa: [showing off a tomato the size of a beach ball] I've grown a futuristic tomato by fertilizing it with anabolic steroids.

this is very true, but do you think he should be punished or not. I understand being fired and no punishment are not the only 2 outcomes...but what would you have be done to an employee of "the classiest" team in baseball who is also well known in a city with a large Jewish population?

I am not saying firing was fair, but neither is a slap on the wrist (or nothing at all).
    Well, it certainly puts the Yankees in a tough spot, especially being in New York, and I can see why he was fired. I was talking more about people in this thread who are practically crucifying the guy. It's easy to criticize others when we don't have to worry about our own careless comments getting splashed across the front page.

Well, it certainly puts the Yankees in a tough spot, especially being in New York, and I can see why he was fired. I was talking more about people in this thread who are practically crucifying the guy. It's easy to criticize others when we don't have to worry about our own careless comments getting splashed across the front page.
    I don't know about you, but I'm half Jewish, maybe I take it a little more personally than you do. As CCN says, there are plenty of good singers who don't spew that crap. One expects a little more class from the Yankees.

its true. I mean you writing that they are practically crucifying could be seen as offensive to some. I mean being happy a guy got fired being compared to nailing someone to a cross is pretty silly. Maybe people should be more careful with the words they choose to use.

This is the world we live in though. And if a player made those comments they sure would be hearing it from every direction. If Hank made those comments people would also be going nuts.

people in this thread who are practically crucifying the guy.
    Possibly not the metaphor you want there, really.

As someone who's in the public eye more than you or me, Tynan and others have to be more mindful of what they say. It might not be fair, but that's just the way it is. The price of success, perhaps?

As far as my criticizm of him? Hey, the guy's got a great voice, I just don't like loooooooong, drawn out renditions of songs that are traditionally much shorter. I suppose that's why I don't care for bands like Phish and Widespread Panic.

who are practically crucifying the guy
    I really don't think we should talking about crucifixion in a topic about anti-Semitism.

I'm just saying.
    A narcissist is someone better looking than you are.

Quote Originally Posted by EricAnno View Post
    I really don't think we should talking about crucifixion in a topic about anti-Semitism.

I'm just saying.
    Why? The two are mutually exclusive, or at least different enough to not offend anyone--as a Jew myself, I didn't take acception to it. I know all about Jewish deicide but I still think it's a stretch. Now, if YankeeDJW had said "people in this thread who are practically gassing the guy", I certainly would have been offended. But he didn't, so it's all good.

Well, except that he's a Yankee$ fan

Quote Originally Posted by CorduroyCalves View Post
    I know all about Jewish deicide but I still think it's a stretch. Now, if YankeeDJW had said "people in this thread who are practically gassing the guy", I certainly would have been offended.
    The crucifixion metaphor could be taken badly because it compares critics of Tynan's comments (identifying with or defending Jews) to something Jews were alleged to have been complicit in, not the victims of. The other would be sort of backwards.

But I wasn't seriously concerned, actually. More like prodding at the idea of sensitivities being "offended" by offhand remarks.
    Last edited by Pere; 10-20-2009 at 08:51 PM.

its true. I mean you writing that they are practically crucifying could be seen as offensive to some. I mean being happy a guy got fired being compared to nailing someone to a cross is pretty silly. Maybe people should be more careful with the words they choose to use.

This is the world we live in though. And if a player made those comments they sure would be hearing it from every direction. If Hank made those comments people would also be going nuts.
    True. It's a word that has been somewhat transformed from it's original meaning, especially in this context. Still, I see your what you're saying...

Case in point, though I know most of you weren't actually offended. I personally have Christian beliefs, so I think crucifixions have as much, if not more, meaning for me than for Jews. That's neither here nor there though. My point is just that we all say stuff we regret, and this guy happened to be famous and it got out to the press. Now people are jumping all over him like he's a despicable person, which I don't think is fair.

Now people are jumping all over him like he's a despicable person, which I don't think is fair.
    Bigots are despicable. He made a bigoted remark, a remark that non-bigots would automatically know was not acceptable, and which, he must have known, given his stature as a public figure, could very well get back to the Yankees. Just because he's in damage control mode now, and saying all the right things, doesn't change the fact that he said a very wrong thing to cause this problem. This isn't the 1930's, you don't make coments like that and get away with them anymore. That's one way that the world has changed for the better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast