Thread: Baseball letter of recommendation...

Baseball letter of recommendation...

I recently had a parent ask me if I could write a letter of recommendation for her son. I have never done this for baseball, so I am curious if anyone here could show me a sample letter or lend me some advice on the best way to do this.

I want to make this good because this kid is a solid baseball player and can play at the next level. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

What is the recommendation for and what are the particulars of your relationship with her son (coach, friend, instructor, . . . )?

The letter is for consideration to college baseball programs. I am his assistant high school baseball coach.

Here's one you can use as an example/template (not mine, but okay), however, . . . unless you personally have had previous connections/communications with the particular college they are writing to, I haven't seen or heard of unsolicited (by the college) letters doing much good.

If the student is still playing for you, I would suggest writing the letter as an "encouragement of recruting", IOWs encouraging them to come to see him play at one of your games or at a showcase game(s) that you know he might be participating in . . .

Good luck

Is there a reason that they haven't asked the head coach (or has he turned them down)? Make sure that you coordinate with the head coach, as the entire program's credibility is on the line, and you shouldn't make unilateral decisions. If you send a recommendation letter to a school and they (a) come view him and he stinks, or (b) they take him into their program, and he stinks, your school's ability to attract further attention from that college may be impaired. The school's athletic director may also want to be involved.

Step carefully, as this could be a minefield. The parents may be expecting you to extol the kid as the greatest high school prospect since Kirk Dressendorfer (and if you have to ask who he is, I've made my point), when you really don't think you can go that far.

It may be that their purposes will be served with a letter more generally addressing the kid's character and contributions as a teammate. That's usually easier to write.

I write letters on an almost daily basis. Last week I wrote 4. I think that Ursa's suggestion is appropriate. Make sure that you and head coach are on the same page and I'm sure that the head coach won't mind. In fact, I think it is good that you too are writing letters. I address things like work ethic, attitude, commitment, academics, ... I have 3 "styles" of letters that I write. I am ALWAYS honest about what I am going to say to a player. I let them and their family read it before I send it out. Finally, when and if you ever feel the need to say no, say it! You'll only hurt your school's program by being kind to someone that might not deserve a letter of recommendation.
    Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.