Thread: Big Barrel VS. Stanard

Big Barrel VS. Standard

Our team is moving up to a 50/70 field in the fall and there is no bat restrictions. Is there really a difference between Big Barrel bats 2 3/4" Vs. standard size barrel 2 1/4"? I know I'm going to be asked this question a lot and I'd like to be informed. Thanks
    Last edited by starman; 06-07-2009 at 06:15 AM. Reason: missed spelled Standard

Yes there is a difference.... Stating the obvious, the hitting surface is larger. An even bigger point to remember.... 2 1/4" bats will for the most part carry the 1.15 BPF limitation allowing it to be used in little league play. The BB bats do not carry this restriction so they can be tuned for max performance. Given a choice, I go with the big barrel.

Blog Entries
    I would stick with a 2-5/8's barrel. This is the maximum allowed for high school and college ball. I am expecting 2-3/4 barrels to get phased out as my 9 year old eyes his older brothers barely used 777 32-22.5. I would also look at a drop 5 if you have a bigger or stronger kid.

IMHO, I don't think barrel diameter matters that much. I do think that any bat that helps with bat speed, and confidence is what you need to look into...

I can tell you based on USSSA/AAU 12u Major/Ice-Level baseball in Florida, that A LOT of players use that B-1 Combat bat (the drop -10 version) which has a 2 1/4" Long-barrel... This bat produces, without a doubt, the longest bombs we've ever seen... consistently across the board - from team-to-team, and player-to-player... On our travel-team, one of our kids hit 10 HR's in a month this past Fall season with one of those Combat B-1's...

Personally, I can tell you that my son (age 11) has hit more than 30 HR's (on 230, 225, and 205 foot fences) within the last year or so between AAU, USSSA & Cal Ripken, using a Rawlings Gold Plasma (Model SLLMPG8 - 2 3/4" barrel -8, 30/22), TPX Dynasty (Model SL206 - 2 3/4" barrel -9, 30/21), a Easton Stealth CNT (Model BCN14 - 2 5/8" barrel -9, 30/21), and an Easton Stealth CNT (Model LCN7 - 2 1/4" barrel -9, 30/21)...

2 of his longest HR's were hit with the league ball 2 1/4" bat (a few measured at around 260-270+/-)... He's hit just as many bombs with the 2 5/8" composite bat than he has with 2 3/4" Alloy bats, and a few as far as with the 2 1/4"...

I agree with it's not the arrow, it's the Indian statement... Very little has to do with the width of the barrel...

-Good luck.
    Last edited by Bolts-Baseball; 06-07-2009 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baseball gLove View Post
    I would stick with a 2-5/8's barrel. This is the maximum allowed for high school and college ball. I am expecting 2-3/4 barrels to get phased out as my 9 year old eyes his older brothers barely used 777 32-22.5. I would also look at a drop 5 if you have a bigger or stronger kid.
    2-5/8's are also max size for Little League Jr., Sr., and Big baseball divisions too.

A good hitter can hit with any barrell. ALL others benefit from the larger hitting area if the bat is within the right "wndow" for length and weight for the kid.

Period, end of story.

And many of the better hitters prefer the bigger barrel as well. Do big leaguers hit with the "pea shooters" guys like Tony Gwynn used to use? an't remember the model numbers... P271's? 241's?

A buddy of mine used to work for the AAA Indianapolis Indians, and I have about a dozen broken bats. He has 100+. How many are the little barrells... or the equivalent of a 2 1/4 inch for a kid in 5th grade or older?

Very, very few. I have a Tom Foley bat, which has "National League" smudges and imprints all over it from foul balls, and it is a toothpick. I've hit infield with it at my son's fall ball league before (7th, 8th, 9th graders) and it is immediately the smallest bat at the park the moment I show up.
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."