Thread: Of The 30 - Pitchers Park, Hitters Park or Neutral?

Of The 30 - Pitchers Park, Hitters Park or Neutral?

Well, I guess this subject would be as apt as many others here at this board. Based on what we've seen at this point, which ballparks do you think favor pitching more than batting or vice-versa? Here are the choices you have:

Pitchers Park - Meaning that the ballpark is a haven for pitching
    Pitcher-friendly - More forgiving to pitchers than to batters. Generally favorable to defense
    Neutral/Not Certain - You don't think pitchers or batters are favored
    Hitter-friendly - Less forgiving to pitchers than to batters. Generally favorable to offense
    Hitters Park - Meaning that the ballpark is a haven for batting

Alright, this is going to be my best guess. It's based on years of watching the game and how the various ballparks have played through the years. Now, the stadiums in New York just opened this year but I have a good feeling about what they're favoring, so I'll give my opinions on them as well. OK, here it goes:

Oakland-Alameda Coliseum - Pitcher-friendly
    Safeco Field - Pitchers Park
    Angel Stadium - Neutral
    The Ballpark in Arlington - Hitter-friendly
    Kauffman Stadium - Pitcher-friendly
    Metrodome - Hitter-friendly
    The Cell - Pitcher-friendly
    Progressive - Hitter-friendly
    Comerica Park - Pitchers Park
    SkyDome - Hitter-friendly
    Fenway - Hitters Park
    Yankee Stadium III - Hitters Park
    Tropicana Field - Hitter-friendly
    Camden Yards - Hitters Park

Dodger Stadium - Pitcher-friendly (traditionally a pitchers park but less so recently)
    Petco Park - Pitchers Park
    AT&T - Neutral to pitcher-friendly (despite the short RF)
    Coors Field - Hitters Park
    Chase Field - My best guess is hitter-friendly
    Minute Maid - Hitters Park
    Busch Stadium - Hitter-friendly (maybe because of the Cardinal offense)
    Wrigley Field - Historically a wild card because of the famous weather but I lean towards Hitters Park
    Miller Park - Hitters Park
    PNC Park - Pitcher-friendly (maybe because of the anemic Pirates offense)
    Great American Ballpark - Hitter-friendly
    Citi Field - Pitcher-friendly (surprisingly more forgiving to batters than thought)
    Citizens' Bank Park - Hitters Park
    Turner Field - Pitcher-friendly (Was built to take advantage of their pitchers back when it opened)
    Joe Robbie Stadium - Pitcher-friendly
    Nationals Park - Pitchers Park
    For a realistic sports ticket and merchandise market

You may want to look at "park factors". You may be surprised by some of the numbers. For instance, Citizens Bank Park has played as one of the most average ballparks in baseball over the past few years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor

Quote Originally Posted by tomzpc View Post
    You may want to look at "park factors". You may be surprised by some of the numbers. For instance, Citizens Bank Park has played as one of the most average ballparks in baseball over the past few years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor

I think you have to look at these trends over a 5 year period. Look @ the Cell. Last year they were one of the worst hitter's parks in MLB but were in the top 10 since 2004.

I believe the type of team playing @ home affects the stats even though both teams are evaluated because you may have a crappy power hitting team @ home affecting 50% of the stats vs. on the road where they are as little as (roughly)2% and as much as (roughly)6% of the stats.