Thread: Always hitting the ball off the end of the bat

Always hitting the ball off the end of the bat

Ok, so my son is 16, uses a 32/29 bat and almost always hits the ball off the end of the bat and pulls the ball down the 3rd base side on 75-80mph pitches.

Any common issues with mechanics or is it just a timing issue that causes this?

The ball isn't always hit hard but sometimes it gets tagged.

Without knowing anything else, sounds like swinging too early.

Impossible to know without video. It's not the bat. Swinging early, bat drag and hands outside the ball are my guesses.

RK

I'll try to get a video when I can but since we are in Canada our season doesn't start for another couple weeks.

He also has these swings where he makes contact with both arms fully extended which I find odd.

Your son may be stepping back (away from the plate) with his front foot when swinging.
    My daughter was doing this and it made her open up and she was losing all power when swinging. Every thing she hit was slow dribbles down to third or she was popping up.
    After we got her momentum going back toward the pitcher, she started hitting better.

Check his front foot when swinging.

G.G.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    www.shop.beebesports.com

Something is pulling his hands--and therefore the bathead--prematurely off the ball and towards the third base dugout. Either he's pulling his whole body off the ball, which pulls his hands off the ball, or he's OK with the core of his body but pulling his hands (only) around in front of his body, which cuts off his swing prematurely.

It's usually pretty obvious is someone is pulling the core of the their body off the ball, whether it's stepping in the bucket or jerking the shoulder in a major way. When it's the hands only, it can be harder to detect without using video.

The type of hits you describe also occur when a batter swings around the ball, but that's also pretty obvious to the naked eye.

Quote Originally Posted by 3up3down View Post
    He also has these swings where he makes contact with both arms fully extended which I find odd.
    Swinging too early. And wrists are rolled (which makes the bat head go up and the ball go down)

Quote Originally Posted by songtitle View Post
    Swinging too early. And wrists are rolled (which makes the bat head go up and the ball go down)

I agree. I didn't read OP carefully enough. I thought he was tapping the ball back to the pitcher.