Thread: Radar Guns - Suggestions

Radar Guns - Suggestions

I'm in the market for a decent radar gun for baseball pitch velocities. I understand that Stalker and JUGS make the "best" ones, but I'm not convinced that I need to shell out $400+ for a decently working gun.

I've used the glove radar (terrible) and I'd like an upgrade. Does anyone have any experiences with the sub-$100 price range, or perhaps some research links that compare the accuracy of them together? Thanks.

The Bushnell gun is under $150 and is accurate and very durable.

I also have a Bushnell that my wife got me for Valentines Day a few years back (she really knows me well! Best Valentines Day gift ever). I really like it and it has been quite durable and accurate. I believe it was around $120-$130.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/busspeedrads.html

Works great like above posters mentioned.

Thank you all. That was one I was considering.

In my experience the bushnell and there's another one out there around $200 didn't work very well. Most coaches I've worked with that use guns only use 2. the Jugs and the new Stalker Sport 2.

So I'm glad you guys are having good experiences with the Bushnell. I was thinking about diving back in to the Radar Gun market this week, but didnt want to shell out the $750 to $850.

So the real question is whats the difference between an $800 gun and $200 gun?

Wink

I don't like that cheap Bushnell. I would throw the same speed pitch and it would give a differencial of about 10mph. You have to be right behind the catcher or the catcher hold the gun in order to get an accurate reading. I would spend a little more money and get a better product.

Range, accuracy, and precision are the three differences.

The cheapies often have a usable range that requires you to be fairly close to the pitcher, sometimes as close as the catcher. This is okay for practice settings if you are one of the team coaches and can be right down on the field; however, if you use the gun at games, you will need to make sure that its usable range allows you to take readings from 75 - 100 ft from the pitcher.

The cheapies also have an intrinsic precision that is usually +/-1 mph, or more. Their accuracy is also suspect, but can be calibrated with a tuning fork.

High quality guns, like Stalker and JUGS, have a long usable range--far more than you need under most any normal circumstances. Their precision is +/- 0.5 mph and they come with a pre-calibrated tuning fork so you can know the absolute accuracy of your numbers.

There are additional bells and whistles on high-end radar guns--functions for getting an average velocity versus peak velocity, timing base-runners, etc, etc, but most people just want to know a highly accurate peak velocity for their pitchers.

for me the bushnell was as accurate as a jugs. The only difference is sometimes the bushnell won't pick up a pitch (1 out of 20 maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by laflippin View Post
    Range, accuracy, and precision are the three differences.

The cheapies often have a usable range that requires you to be fairly close to the pitcher, sometimes as close as the catcher. This is okay for practice settings if you are one of the team coaches and can be right down on the field; however, if you use the gun at games, you will need to make sure that its usable range allows you to take readings from 75 - 100 ft from the pitcher.

The cheapies also have an intrinsic precision that is usually +/-1 mph, or more. Their accuracy is also suspect, but can be calibrated with a tuning fork.

High quality guns, like Stalker and JUGS, have a long usable range--far more than you need under most any normal circumstances. Their precision is +/- 0.5 mph and they come with a pre-calibrated tuning fork so you can know the absolute accuracy of your numbers.

There are additional bells and whistles on high-end radar guns--functions for getting an average velocity versus peak velocity, timing base-runners, etc, etc, but most people just want to know a highly accurate peak velocity for their pitchers.
    I need it to use as a coach - to stand behind the catcher or pitcher and get accurate readings from a bullpen. I don't really need it in a game, though it would be useful.

Well, the lower end guns shouldn't be a problem for bullpen-distance measurements. I don't know if the cheaper guns come with a tuning fork--one way or the other, though, you should be able to calibrate any cheap gun either with a tuning fork or by comparing your readings on a given moving target with those of a fully calibrated gun.

Even Glove Radar and SpeedCheck (both of which only measure velocity of the ball when it is very near the plate) can be calibrated. Key is to realize that pitched balls lose about 7-8 mph over 55 ft of distance due to air resistance, so you can add the 7-8 mph back to every pitch and get a very close idea of their initial velocities at release.

Quote Originally Posted by rkbenn View Post
    I don't like that cheap Bushnell. I would throw the same speed pitch and it would give a differencial of about 10mph. You have to be right behind the catcher or the catcher hold the gun in order to get an accurate reading. I would spend a little more money and get a better product.
    Mine works fine.