Thread: Semi- Pro Baseball

Semi- Pro Baseball

So there is alot of diffrent leagues out there that are amateur baseball and in those leagues there are a few semi pro baseball teams that play in the league. Is there any good semi pro baseball league's anymore. I played in the IBL and that was one of the best I have seen around. Does anyone else know of any other good leagues out there?

What is considered "semi-pro"? I thought that used to just be another word for rminor league.

As it's name suggests, semi pro baseball is normally one step below professional baseball and one step above amatuer baseball. Back in the Old Timey Days, lots of smaller cities and towns could not afford to spend big bucks for pro players for their team. Another name for a semi pro team back in baseball's earlier days was an Independent team.

Towns wanted to support a club though so a local factory might employ the ballplayers during the week and they would get paid to play ballgames on Saturdays. Smith Corona Typewriters, for example, supported a team called the Coronas for over thirty years. The manager recruited throughout the Northeast and some of the youngers players went on to pro careers (Wild Bill Hallahan was one). Semi pro teams could play minor league clubs, other semi pro teams, or amatuer teams. There usually was a semi pro league to compete in. The players were young high school grads or college kids, some of the best local players in their 20's, and even former pro ballplayers in their 30's and 40's. The best players earned tryouts with pro ballclubs.

The brand of ball was generally excellent and most teams had two or three outstanding pitchers. I used the past tense because the trend seems to be moving away from semi pro ball.

Wouldn't the nearest current equivalent be the summer collegiate leagues?

So would the collegiate summer leagues be considered "semi pro"?
    I've often heard that term used in adult baseball leagues but none that I've seen playing are even close to competing for a major league job. However, there have been a few former pro players that are now amongst us working people that play weekends in an adult baseball league (ie. NABA & MABL)

No I play semi pro baseball and the league is very diffrent from those college leagues. Semi-Pro can take as many ex-pro players as they want. Amature leagues normally only can take two to three depending on the league.Also in the semi pro league you have to declare you'r team is semi pro. With that you can pay some players as well as pay for some other things like road trip stuff. Also alot of semi pro teams start there first games in April and go till mid Sept. One of the best Semi pro leagues out there today is the IBL in Ontairo.

I meant the modern summer collegiate leagues seem the most like the old semipro leagues in terms of the median age and caliber of players, and the relationship to their communities. The aspirations of the players may be different.
    Last edited by Pere; 01-04-2009 at 07:40 PM.

I wonder if their is a relationship between the lack of adult baseball leagues today and the popularity of semi-pro ball a couple of generations ago? Back then towns had one semi-pro team that hand-picked the best local talent as well as talent from near and far. So what did the rest of the local ballplayers do who didn't make their semi-pro club?

Was that why softball leagues sprang up everywhere? Good ballplayers had no adult leagues to play in nor access to baseball diamonds. They still wanted to play a sport every summer. Pretty soon there were both men's and women's adult softball leagues playing games on fields that required less maintenance without any stands.

Once the semi-pro teams folded nobody wanted to give adult baseball leagues a go. But that seems to be changing little by little in some areas.

Quote Originally Posted by manistee View Post
    One of the best Semi pro leagues out there today is the IBL in Ontairo.
    manistee, I'd be interested to hear more about this league. Some online references lump it together with summer collegiate leagues, but I did find some references to "semi-pro" status also.

For example, did some of your teammates envision playing professionally? Of those that had already played professionally, what kind of experience did they have? What kinds of facilities did you use? What was the atmosphere of the games? Did players have host families in the local community? Etc...
    Last edited by Pere; 01-09-2009 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spark240 View Post
    manistee, I'd be interested to hear more about this league. Some online references lump it together with summer collegiate leagues, but I did find some references to "semi-pro" status also.

For example, did some of your teammates envision playing professionally? Of those that had already played professionally, what kind of experience did they have? What kinds of facilities did you use? What was the atmosphere of the games? Did players have host families in the local community? Etc...
    Here is a hyperlink to there main website. This should give you alot of info on the league.

http://www.theibl.ca/