Thread: Washington signs 2-year PDC with the Syracuse Chiefs

Washington signs 2-year PDC with the Syracuse Chiefs

After 30+ years, the relationship between the Toronto Blue Jays and Syracuse Chiefs is over. The Nationals signed a 2-year player development contract with the Syracuse Chiefs.
    http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/1377/oak2jf0.jpg
    Trusted Traders: MadHatter, card-closure-man, duckydps, Rockhound, huberfan, AutographCollector, bravesautographs, CardinalMike

My Wantlist/Tradelist

Check out my eBay auctions, username hudsonharden

Good, I'm glad they're staying in the IL. Toronto lost out in the AAA game of musical chairs; they're stuck with Vegas, which means their players will be on the west coast most of the time when they need to call someone up. I hope the relationship with Syracuse will be a long term one; the Nats weren't ever expected to be in Columbus long term, since they wanted the Indians all along.

Yeah i was suprised Toronto let their long term relationship with Syracure go by the wayside. Their loss was Washington's gain.

G Man

Quote Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
    Yeah i was suprised Toronto let their long term relationship with Syracure go by the wayside. Their loss was Washington's gain.

G Man
    It surprised me too, I think it was Toronto's only AAA-affiliate in franchise history.
    http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/1377/oak2jf0.jpg
    Trusted Traders: MadHatter, card-closure-man, duckydps, Rockhound, huberfan, AutographCollector, bravesautographs, CardinalMike

My Wantlist/Tradelist

Check out my eBay auctions, username hudsonharden

Quote Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post

G Man
    Apparently, it was Syracuse's decision not to renew with the Jays. They weren't happy with the quality of players they were being sent. The same thing happened a few years ago between Rochester and the Orioles.

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonharden View Post
    It surprised me too, I think it was Toronto's only AAA-affiliate in franchise history.

Toronto might not have lost much except for geography. Syracuse is easily the most screwed up franchise in the IL and one of the worst run in all of the minor leagues. Ownership there is totally clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by NY16CATCHER View Post
    Toronto might not have lost much except for geography. Syracuse is easily the most screwed up franchise in the IL and one of the worst run in all of the minor leagues. Ownership there is totally clueless.
    A good fit for the Nats

According to the press release, the Washington Senators had a working agreement with Syracuse back in 1962.

With the Richmond Braves headed to Gwinett County, GA, I had a glimmer of hope that the Nationals would place a Triple A franchise in Richmond. However, the stadium issue in Richmond is a political football right now and they will probably not have professional baseball in Richmond next (2009) year.

Oh well, being a railway enthusiast, I really like the Chiefs logo.

Syracuse Chiefs website
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Quote Originally Posted by Aa3rt View Post
    According to the press release, the Washington Senators had a working agreement with Syracuse back in 1962.

With the Richmond Braves headed to Gwinett County, GA, I had a glimmer of hope that the Nationals would place a Triple A franchise in Richmond. However, the stadium issue in Richmond is a political football right now and they will probably not have professional baseball in Richmond next (2009) year.

Oh well, being a railway enthusiast, I really like the Chiefs logo.

Syracuse Chiefs website
    I am from Syracuse living in the DC area and I have mixed feelings on the new partnership. I am a die hard Mets fan so I was disipointed to see the Mets go to Buffalo. With that said I think that the Chiefs will be contenders again in the IL due to the fact that the NATS will allow the farm system to properly develop players. The problem with Toronto was the Jays were constantly screwing with the Cheifs roster. They would call up the stars and then let them ride the bench. Go luck Cheifs with your new parents. I hope that it will work out for you and the NATS.

Quote Originally Posted by gioconvj View Post
    I am from Syracuse living in the DC area and I have mixed feelings on the new partnership. I am a die hard Mets fan so I was disipointed to see the Mets go to Buffalo. With that said I think that the Chiefs will be contenders again in the IL due to the fact that the NATS will allow the farm system to properly develop players. The problem with Toronto was the Jays were constantly screwing with the Cheifs roster. They would call up the stars and then let them ride the bench. Go luck Cheifs with your new parents. I hope that it will work out for you and the NATS.
    In the short term, we might not see the top talent make it to AAA. The Nats are so starved for players that some of them will jump from Harrisburg or Potomac to DC. Of the Nats' three top minor league levels, Columbus was the only one with a losing record, and, as is sometimes the case, the Clippers were stocked more as an extended bench for the big team instead of developing youngsters.