Thread: Breath tech in batting?

Breath tech in batting?

Did a search on "breath technique" but I didnt find anything.
    Does anyone think about breathing when you swing the bat? Like do you exhale or inhale when you swing?

Alot of body exercises incorporate exhaling while contracting the muscles that are being worked on. Is there a proper way of breath (inhale, exhale or hold) during the batting sequence from start to finish?

I hold my breath, idk why i've always done that and now I cant break the habit, batting for more than 4 or 5 pitches will sometimes leave me winded lol, and im in pretty good shape.
    2008 varsity stats
    AB-35 K-5 BB-6 H-14 2B-3 3B-0 HR-0 RBI-10 BA- .400
    all stars pitching stats--- W-L= 1-0
    IP- 5 H- 1 BB- 2 HR- 0 ER- 0 K- 8 ERA: 0.00

I feel that proper breathing technique is actually important. It helped me focus and stick with a routine while hitting, which I also believe is important. I would inhale as I loaded and exhale as I swung, something I heard A-Rod does. As he exhales he visualizes blowing the ball out of the park, which he has been known to do on occasion.

If you think about it, when you lift weights breathing is important as well. Lets take bench press or squat for example. If it helps to focus on inhaling while going down with the weight and exhaling while going up with the weight, why wouldn't it help while hitting?

IMO if your breathing is right your body will work a lot better during the swing.

Soriano and Pujols do this as well.

Your weight lifting analogy is correct, Beemax.

I remembered posting this at one time, and thought there was something about breathing in it....is this where you remember it from beemax?

Hit Like Alex Rodriguez
    Still whiffing at Wiffle ball? Let A-Rod show you how to swing for the fences.

Step 1. Get comfortable
    With balls whizzing toward you at 95 miles an hour, you’ve got no time to be tense. Purge every thought from your mind, relax your body, and breeze up to the plate. “It’s really like I’m swimming or dreaming,” Rodriguez says. Bend your knees and get balanced, but don’t squeeze the life out of the bat. Rodriguez holds his with the last three fingers of each hand, his thumbs and forefingers barely touching the bat. “Really soft,” he says, “as if a 10-year-old girl could come up behind me a second before the pitch is thrown and slip the bat away from my hands.” You heard it here first, folks.

Step 2. See the pitch
    Watch closely to see how the ball comes out of the pitcher’s hand. If you see two fingertips a slight distance apart on top of the ball, a fastball’s coming down the pike. If they’re touching, expect a curve. If you miss the release, try to pick up on the ball’s rotation: A fastball will show backspin, while a curve will turn toward you. (Oh, and you have about 2/10 of a second to do this.) “Your eyes are muscles, and some days they’re able to lift 100 pounds,” says Rodriguez. “Other days they won’t see it quite as early.” If you wait any longer than that fraction of a second, you may as well keep ’em closed.

Step 3. Pull the trigger
    Bring the bat back, flex, and strike (“like a snake,” says Rodriguez), using your hips as well as your hands. “Like a golfer, your hips go back, the torque comes in, and whoosh!” Rodriguez says. Uppercuts may get oohs and aahs from the crowd, but Alex tries to swing down at fastballs to maintain a line-drive stroke. Stand square to the pitcher, aim straight up the middle, and for God’s sake keep those hands soft. “If you squeeze just before contact,” Rodriguez says, “the bat head will bounce an inch or two.” And your calculated sweet spot will go sour.

Step 4. Stay loose
    So you’ve made contact. Even though technically your job’s done, don’t pat yourself on the back just yet: Good follow-through mechanics can mean the difference between a bloop and a blast. Rotate your body smoothly, making sure your hips go through their full range of motion and your arms extend fully. Go ahead and let it all out: Rodriguez exhales on every swing, because holding his breath keeps him bottled up and tense. “I feel an illusion in my mind,” he says, “like I’m blowing the ball out of the ballpark.” If only it were that easy.
    Here's the link to The Article.
    "Coaches should teach people to play better baseball, not teach baseball to make better players."
    "In the Little League manual it says 'Baseball builds character' - that is not true. Baseball reveals character." - Augie Garrido

A nice big ole' exhale will do the trick. Promotes relaxation within the body. It's very tough to relax when holding a breath.

Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake.