Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best right-handed hitters of all time?

Best right-handed hitters of all time?

why are right handed hitters in general not as good? 1 in every 9 people is left handed, so there's 8 times the talent pool of righties to choose from right?

anywho

Rogers Hornsby
    Josh Gibson
    Jimmie Foxx
    Hank Aaron
    Willie Mays
    Joe Dimaggio
    Alex Rodriguez (climbing season by season)
    Vlad Guerrero (with SB's I rate him above Manny)
    Manny Ramirez
    Hank Greenberg

give Pujols a few years and he'll be on the list

today on the radio I was hearing people say Manny was the best right handed hitter they had seen in the last 40-50 years. not sure if I can agree on that.
    Last edited by Blackout; 03-25-2008 at 07:24 PM.

Because they face mostly right-handed pitchers, they're closer to first, right-field fences are often shorter, and they're exposed to more testosterone while in the fetus. Plus, they're more sinister.

How's that for a guess?

Blog Entries
    At this point, I'd give Ramirez a significant edge over A-Rod if we are only judging them as hitters and not on the total package.

A-Rod: .306/.389/.578, 147 OPS+ in 1,904 games
    Manny Ramirez: .313/.409/.593, 154 OPS+ in 1,950 games

Plus, I think you might be forgetting Frank Thomas. He's easily a better hitter than Vlad.

A few other great ones that come to mind are Honus Wagner, Dick Allen, Mark McGwire, Frank Robinson, Ed Delahanty, and Jeff Bagwell.
    Last edited by GiambiJuice; 03-25-2008 at 09:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    My candidates for the Greatest Right-Handed Hitters of All Time:

1. Rogers Hornsby
    2. Honus Wagner
    3. Willie Mays
    4. Hank Aaron
    5. Nap Lajoie
    6. Cap Anson
    7. Harry Heilmann
    8. Alex Rodriguez
    9. Jimmy Foxx
    10. Joe DiMaggio

Honorable Mentions:
    Mike Schmidt, Frank Robinson, Ernie Banks, Al Kaline, Roberto Clemente, Hank Greenberg, Manny Ramirez, Jackie Robinson, Kiki Cuyler, Ed Delahanty.
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-27-2008 at 01:37 PM.

Blackout,

What do SBs have to do with hitting?
    Quote Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Yankeebiscuitfan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    At this point, I'd give Ramirez a significant edge over A-Rod if we are only judging them as hitters and not on the total package.

A-Rod: .306/.389/.578, 147 OPS+ in 1,904 games
    Manny Ramirez: .313/.409/.593, 154 OPS+ in 1,950 games
    Ramirez is a player that can drive a GM nuts. I think that his mood swings make him one of the most underestimated players.

Quote Originally Posted by Proctor, CF View Post
    Because they face mostly right-handed pitchers, they're closer to first, right-field fences are often shorter, and they're exposed to more testosterone while in the fetus. Plus, they're more sinister.

How's that for a guess?
    I know that the Italian word for left is "sinistre"...one word that's handy to know for understanding directions ("destre" for right). The word "sinister" means what it does to us because of the long standing reputation of left handed people...

I'd say that Frank Thomas at his best was more impressive than Manny, although Manny has been far more consistent throughout his career. I like Manny's swing a lot better, Frank had a base hitter's stroke but 300 lbs of muscle behind it. Frank would hit some balls that would just scare the crud out of infielders.
    I'm going to make a list by era, sort of...
    Anson
    Delahanty
    Wagner
    Hornsby
    Beast
    Greenberg
    Clipper
    Kiner
    Mays
    Aaron
    F Robby
    Allen
    Killebrew
    Schmidt
    Frank Thomas
    Manny
    ARod

The advantage that lefty hitters have in compiling good numbers as hitters is huge...I think that a typical platoon differential is about .100 for OPS, which is a LOT.
    One thing to remember is that not all lefty hitters are actually left handed...Cobb and Ted Williams, for example, were both righty throwers. The advantage to hitting left becomes obvious even at a young age...anyway, the breakdown of hitters into lefty/righty does not follow the population's proportions of left handed and right handed people.

mike piazza deserves a mention.

All RH hitting team

C Piazza
    1B Thomas
    2B Hornsby
    3B Schmidt
    SS Rodriguez
    LF Rameriz
    CF Mays
    RF Aaron

--I'd actually give the edge to 5 of the 8 over the LH hitting team (of course most LHers do play OF/1B)

C Berra
    1B Gehrig
    2B Morgan
    3B Mathews
    SS Vaughan
    LF Williams
    CF Cobb
    RF Ruth

Quote Originally Posted by Westlake View Post
    Blackout,

What do SBs have to do with hitting?
    it adds to your total offensive package

Just wanted to throw Edgar Martinez out there.

and Dick Allen

Clemente for his top 5-7 years.

And also Mickey Mantle from the right side.

1 Rogers Hornsby
    2 Hank Aaron
    3 Honus Wagner
    4 Willie Mays
    5 Jimmie Foxx
    6 Frank Robinson
    7 Ed Delahanty
    8 Nap Lajoie
    9 Cap Anson
    10 Frank Thomas
    12 Joe DiMaggio
    13 Manny Ramirez
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Honerable Mention

In his prime- Piazza

Quote Originally Posted by blackout805 View Post
    it adds to your total offensive package
    So, again, what do SBs have to do with hitting -- baserunning has nothing to do with hitting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Olliemets View Post
    In his prime- Piazza
    I agree. Piazza was a great player in his prime, and deserves an honurable mention here.
    MySpace Codes

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KCGHOST View Post
    1 Rogers Hornsby
    2 Hank Aaron
    3 Honus Wagner
    4 Willie Mays
    5 Jimmie Foxx
    6 Frank Robinson
    7 Ed Delahanty
    8 Nap Lajoie
    9 Cap Anson
    10 Frank Thomas
    12 Joe DiMaggio
    13 Manny Ramirez
    Why have you skipped no.11??
    MySpace Codes

Blog Entries
    1. Hank Aaron
    2. Rogers Hornsby
    3. Honus Wagner
    4. Willie Mays
    5. Jimmie Foxx
    6. Nap Lajoie
    7. Joe DiMaggio
    8. Frank Thomas
    9. Frank Robinson
    10. Alex Rodriguez
    11. Mike Piazza
    12. Manny Ramirez
    13. Ed Delahanty
    14. Mike Schmidt
    15. Cap Anson
    16. Johnny Bench
    17. Ernie Banks
    18. Hank Greenberg
    19. Robin Yount
    20. Dale Murphy
    Last edited by stejay; 03-26-2008 at 12:32 PM. Reason: My bad
    MySpace Codes

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stejay View Post
    1. Hank Aaron
    2. Rogers Hornsby
    3. Honus Wagner
    4. Willie Mays
    5. Jimmie Foxx
    6. Nap Lajoie
    7. Joe DiMaggio
    8. Frank Thomas
    9. Frank Robinson
    10. Alex Rodriguez
    11. Cap Anson
    12. Manny Ramirez
    13. Ed Delahanty
    14. Mike Schmidt
    15. Johnny Bench
    16. Mike Piazza
    17. Ernie Banks
    18. Hank Greenberg
    19. Robin Yount
    20. Dale Murphy
    Bench over Piazza as hitters makes absolutely zero sense, no matter what stats you look at. If we're only talking offense, Bench probably doesn't even make the top 60 right handers.

Blog Entries
    Oh sorry man, my bad. Read the title wrong. I thought it said, top right handed batters of all time. I have edited it now.
    MySpace Codes

1.Rogers Hornsby
    2.Honus Wagner
    3.Jimmie Foxx
    4.Joe Dimaggio
    5.Willie Mays
    6.Hank Aaron
    7.Frank Thomas
    8.Mike Piazza
    9.Manny Ramirez
    10.Alex Rodriguez
    11.Vladimir Guerrero
    12.Edgar Martinez
    13.Mike Schimdt
    14.Frank Robinson
    15.Albert Pujols(assuming he plays at least another 7 or 8 years he will be higher)
    16.Ralph Kiner
    17.Hank Greenberg
    18.Jeff Bagwell
    19.Harmon Killebrew
    20.Ernie Banks

Mantle should be there somewhere but being a switch hitter,was'nt sure how to rank him. This is not an exact rank because I did'nt have the time but I'm pretty sure this would be my top 20 more or less.
    "I would walk through hell in a gasoline suit just to play baseball."-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by blackout805 View Post
    why are right handed hitters in general not as good? 1 in every 9 people is left handed, so there's 8 times the talent pool of righties to choose from right?

anywho

Rogers Hornsby
    Josh Gibson
    Jimmie Foxx
    Hank Aaron
    Willie Mays
    Joe Dimaggio
    Alex Rodriguez (climbing season by season)
    Vlad Guerrero (with SB's I rate him above Manny)
    Manny Ramirez
    Hank Greenberg

give Pujols a few years and he'll be on the list

today on the radio I was hearing people say Manny was the best right handed hitter they had seen in the last 40-50 years. not sure if I can agree on that.
    Who were you listening to? Mike and The MadDog? Those guys are numbskulls. And Manny is a better hitter than Vlad, and it really isn't close.
    Ball game over. World Series over! Yankees win thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Yankees win!

Quote Originally Posted by Proctor, CF View Post

How's that for a guess?
    I'm putting that one on the top the greater number of RH pitchers.
    One more thats probably minimal but over the course of a whole careeer could mean more hits over the long haul.

In the case when there is a runner on first and they choose to hold the runner on, the LH batter has a bigger hole to hit through, between the first and second baseman.

Quote Originally Posted by hellborn View Post
    I know that the Italian word for left is "sinistre"...one word that's handy to know for understanding directions ("destre" for right). The word "sinister" means what it does to us because of the long standing reputation of left handed people...

I'd say that Frank Thomas at his best was more impressive than Manny, although Manny has been far more consistent throughout his career. I like Manny's swing a lot better, Frank had a base hitter's stroke but 300 lbs of muscle behind it. Frank would hit some balls that would just scare the crud out of infielders.
    I'm going to make a list by era, sort of...
    Anson
    Delahanty
    Wagner
    Hornsby
    Beast
    Greenberg
    Clipper
    Kiner
    Mays
    Aaron
    F Robby
    Allen
    Killebrew
    Schmidt
    Frank Thomas
    Manny
    ARod

The advantage that lefty hitters have in compiling good numbers as hitters is huge...I think that a typical platoon differential is about .100 for OPS, which is a LOT.
    One thing to remember is that not all lefty hitters are actually left handed...Cobb and Ted Williams, for example, were both righty throwers. The advantage to hitting left becomes obvious even at a young age...anyway, the breakdown of hitters into lefty/righty does not follow the population's proportions of left handed and right handed people.
    Do you think that Cobb and Williams were aware as kids that there was an advantage to batting left handed,not to say that was not true with certain players. I think it's not often thought out that way, it's just the way they were first taught. I know a number of guys I played ball with over the years that threw RH and batted LH. In their case as I know of it was not by design, just happened that way.

My theory on why there is a greater number of RH batters, more so years ago was because their first instructors, older friends, brothers, their fathers taught them to bat the way they did RH.

I can say with certainty that the generation that came before me and even earlier was comprised of more RH batters, the public and even MLB.

Countless times I saw fathers teach their sons the batting stance for the first time, same sight. The more often RH dad putting his son in the RH batting stance and standing behind him showing him how to swing............bring back memories.

Also more RH throwers when I was a kid. Anyone remember playing as a kid, there was always one or two LH throwers who had to use a RH mitt because there were not that many LH mitts around.

I would say most RH hitters batted that way for no special reason, only that their first teacher were more often RH themselves.

Blog Entries
    I think that there are some things that one doesn't even have to think about. Batting RH/LH is one such thing. It's like writing. How many sit down and think about which hand to write with? No too many I'd imagine.

Same thing with sexual orientation. I know I never thought about it. I never asked myself if I liked girls or boys. Just naturally wanted to look at girls, think about them, fantasize about them, etc. Some things just happen, and we go with the path of least resistance. Who makes a conscious choice anyway? Few. Maybe some, but not most.

I don't think Dad's try to make their kids bat a particular way. Batting is determined by which side of one's brain is more dominant. If one's left side of their brains are more dominant, they write right-handed, bat RH, bowl RH, shoot a gun with their right hand, etc. The left side of the brain concerns order, organization, structure, while the right side of the brain concerns art, subjectivity, love, emotion, passion, etc.

That is not to say that anyone is all one side or the other. We're all all both, but one side will predominate. Like 60/40. We go back and forth all day long, every moment. It's called balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Murderers Row View Post
    Who were you listening to? Mike and The MadDog? Those guys are numbskulls. And Manny is a better hitter than Vlad, and it really isn't close.
    colin cowherd was the first to say it, then the 2nd was one of the afternoon guys (on the mike tirico show or steven a smith)

i don't know if Manny is better than Vlad, it's easy to put up big numbers in a star studded lineup. Vlad had nobody in montreal.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast