Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleveland Municipal Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    Ruth,
    Are you kidding?
    I haven't read up on its history, but I have heard that mentioned
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Quote Originally Posted by RuthMayBond View Post
    I haven't read up on its history, but I have heard that mentioned
    It's true. Back then Cleveland was the #5 Metropolitan area in the U.S. It was built in a failed attempt to host the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammo View Post
    It's true. Back then Cleveland was the #5 Metropolitan area in the U.S. It was built in a failed attempt to host the Olympics.
    I also read that the city of Cleveland did NOT sign the Indians to a lease before they built Muni, so at least it wasn't built for baseball
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

James Toman's excellent book "Cleveland Stadium" published by the Cleveland Landmarks Press in 1981 and revised several times through 1997 addresses several of these questions.

According to the book the stadium was built primarily for baseball although designed for other events too. It was assumed that the Indians would move permanently to the lakefront. The breakdown of negotiations with the Tribe to sign the expected lease came long after the stadium had been designed and was under construction.

Also, according to Toman's book, while the stadium was designed to accomodate track and field, Cleveland never bid on or even contemplated a bid the 1932 Olympics. That is an urban legend, albeit an often repeated one. I know I have read it repeated as fact in more than one ballparks history book.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Ballpark View Post
    According to the book the stadium was built primarily for baseball although designed for other events too. It was assumed that the Indians would move permanently to the lakefront. The breakdown of negotiations with the Tribe to sign the expected lease came long after the stadium had been designed and was under construction.
    Built primarily for baseball but didn't have the Tribe under contract before construction started? Cleveland government hasn't changed

Ammo,

You’re thinking of the Labinski plan.

Art Modell had Ron Labinski from HOK do the design.
    Basically the plan called for lowering and moving the field forward.
    They would add more rows of seats to the front of the lower deck and eliminate
    the lower deck seats behind the columns. More loges would be built under the
    existing. There would be retractable seats from the foul poles to the bleachers
    to bring them in closer for football. The entire roof would be removed and a new
    crown shaped canopy built. There would also be new locker rooms and team museums
    built behind the bleachers. Also all of the aluminum louvers would be replaced with black glass.

I had wondered why CMS and OYS had kind of the same look, and looked closely akin to each other, now I know why that is.
    I remember seeing Cleve. Yankee games on TV and being overwhelmed by how big it was (and how empty most of the time).
    I just couldn't believe there was a stadium bigger than OYS.
    It was VAST!

Ammo,

You’re thinking of the Labinski plan.

Art Modell had Ron Labinski from HOK do the design.
    Basically the plan called for lowering and moving the field forward.
    They would add more rows of seats to the front of the lower deck and eliminate
    the lower deck seats behind the columns. More loges would be built under the
    existing. There would be retractable seats from the foul poles to the bleachers
    to bring them in closer for football. The entire roof would be removed and a new
    crown shaped canopy built. There would also be new locker rooms and team museums
    built behind the bleachers. Also all of the aluminum louvers would be replaced with black glass.

Wow...I wish they went with this plan for the stadium...except built exclusively football because I like the fact that the Tribe moved to the Jake.

Thanks for the pics!

Why didn't theydo it? Could they not agree on the funding?

Stadium Video

Here's a link to some footage of the stadium during its final days

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n...wns-Browns.flv

Geez, where do I begin. I suppose first and foremost, the Indians were usually a very bad team when I started watching them play there. And yes, the Stadium was way too big for baseball... but not necessarily a bad place to see a game. The field box seats were really a treat. As I got older the thing to do was to sit in the general admission area in left field, lower level... usually you would find like minded people there. You could walk right up to the gate and get a ticket. The place was massive, but when it was filled, it was quite a site. Never sat in the bleachers.

There were an old overrun gardens on the side nearer the lake... built for the Great Lakes Exposition of 1936, I think... but they looked like a ruins to me... impressive ruins.

After years of seeing games at Muni Stadium, I was literally amazed at how close the grandstand was to the playing field at Tiger Stadium when I first saw a game there. I will never forget that...

Boiled bratwurst put a buddy of mine on the toilet during a Nolan Ryan outing.

Saw the Tribe snowed out on April 11, 1990 (Opening Day)... Sandy Alomar's first home game (he hit a no-count single). Keith Hernandez at first base.

Was last there for a Pink Floyd concert in 1994. Troughs for urinals.

Can honestly say, in spite of all the nostalgic memories stirred by looking back through these photos, that I never missed, nor do I miss, Cleveland Stadium.

Memories

I will share my thoughts about the stadium with you. Cleveland Stadium was the first place that I ever saw a major league baseball game. I’m sure that many have found memories of the first park that they ever entered. I still remember seeing the roof of the stadium and lights for the first time as my father and I approached the stadium traveling from the East on interstate 90 as you could see it on the shore line for a few miles before you actually made it to the stadium. I can also remember seeing the field for the first time. I’ve read some comments on here about the poor condition of the grass, but for a seven year old I was in amazement over how such a wonderful green field could be inside of a massive brick and steel structure. It was at Cleveland Stadium where I first fell in love with Stadiums.

I always thought the stadium was a great place to see a game. I would often sit with the 5 or 10 thousand people and imagine what it would be like to watch a ball game there with 70 thousand others. You could sit anywhere you wanted to and nobody ever bothered you. You could also be sure that the other people there were true ball fans and not some yuppies on a tourist trip.

I went to the last baseball game ever at the stadium in 1993 with my dad and brother. They sold tickets for the final series in a three game set and you couldn’t just by tickets for the last game. That was a real classy move by a franchise who hardly ever put a product on the field that was worth watching and had trouble breaking a million fans for a season. We went to the game without tickets but my father had promised me we would see the game. We tried to buy tickets from scalpers for over two hours but my dad didn’t have enough money to pay over 100 bucks per ticket to get in. After the game had started, we were about to give up when we saw a guy by an auxiliary entrance. He called us over and let us in the stadium for $ 20. We stood through the whole game and had a great time.

I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

The world's least comfortable commode.

I found some new/old photos.

First event-Max Schmeling vs Young Stribling

Line for World Series tickets 1948

Indians Yankee double header 1961

Rolling Stones 1975

as far away as you could get.

I found some new/old photos.

Line for World Series tickets 1948

[/IMG]
    This may a line to get into the World Series, itself. Tickets for the 1948 World Series were sold strictly by mail order, and were not sold at the box office.

Ed,

I found that photo on a Plain Dealer photo archive site and it was titled the way I stated.
    But they could be wrong.

Here are a few more……

From Sports Illustrated Vault:

[QUOTE=chip;1616180]Ed,

I found that photo on a Plain Dealer photo archive site and it was titled the way I stated.
    But they could be wrong.

Here are a few more……

Never thought I'd make a comparison of Cleveland and Paris. But that tree lined park in the center of this photo reminds me of the park where the Eiffel Tower sits in Paris (although the park above is much smaller in scale) Does that tree lined park still exist in Cleveland?
    Last edited by johnfre; 10-06-2009 at 01:38 PM.

Why, yes it is still there, according to bing maps:

"Shake it off. That's part of the game, you know. Baseball, hotdogs, apple pie and a shot in the mask." - Bob Uecker.

Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast