Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleveland Municipal Stadium

lollar,

Iím confused on how you think that the upper deck is closer at the Jake.
    Here is another photo of a section cut through both stadiums. CMS in red
    and the Jake in white.

Yep you're absolutely right.
    Last edited by lollar; 11-16-2009 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EdTarbusz View Post
    I think there were a few sections. I think that the GA sections started at about the bullpens.
    Regarding GA at the stadium, I can speak for the 70s and 80s only. GA started in the left and right field areas one section beyond the end of the field boxes. Often times, those sections were completely empty and created an earlier version of the NYS moat, although one merely needed to the ability to walk to transverse the moat. When a large crowd would be on hand, the red seats in those sections were sold as box seats, meaning only an aisle separated customers who paid for box seats from those who paid for GA. The aisles that marked the beginning of the GA sections was located between the end of the field boxes and the bullpen, but was very close to the bullpen. Seating charts from that era also showed outfield sections of the upper deck (yellow seats only) as GA, but fans were usually kept out by ushers so that there wasn't a need to clean those areas every night.

Here is a photo of my oldest son at the stadium from earlier in this same thread. This is an August 1993 game vs. the Yankees. We are seated in the right field GA area. All of the seats in those sections, both red and yellow, were GA. It was truely a first come first served seating scenario. In left field, you can see the one section that divides the field boxes from the GA area. Since this was a Sunday game against the Yankees, folks have paid the box seat prices to fill the divider section. For this game, the bleachers were open as well. During the 70s, the bleachers were open for every game. This changed in the 80s as the team only opened the bleachers for day games and games with large crowds expected.

In the 80s, I believe GA cost around $4.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Shakey View Post
    GA started in the left and right field areas one section beyond the end of the field boxes.

When a large crowd would be on hand, the red seats in those sections were sold as box seats, meaning only an aisle separated customers who paid for box seats from those who paid for GA.

In the 80s, I believe GA cost around $4.
    GAs right next to the boxes sure were a bargain, I sat there every time
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

I was watching the Ravens-Browns game yesterday from Cleveland Browns Stadium, and I got to wondering....how much of an overlap is there in the site between Municipal Stadium and Cleveland Browns Stadium? Is the gridiron at CBS located in the same or similar area that it was at CMS? Or did the field shift significantly between the two stadiums?

Quote Originally Posted by PeteU View Post
    I was watching the Ravens-Browns game yesterday from Cleveland Browns Stadium, and I got to wondering....how much of an overlap is there in the site between Municipal Stadium and Cleveland Browns Stadium? Is the gridiron at CBS located in the same or similar area that it was at CMS? Or did the field shift significantly between the two stadiums?
    post number 66
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteU View Post
    check out post #66 in this thread

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showpo...9&postcount=66

RuthMayBond,
    Here is my story. I think this happened back in 1992.
    One night I was sitting at work bored to death so to pass the time I was doodling a picture of the old stadium from the perspective of sitting behind home plate. A friend of mine saw my picture and commented how he saw Frank Howard hit a ball up into the upper deck and pointed at a spot half way up in the yellow seats and a few seats from the railing at the end of the grandstand in left field. He then told me that Howard hit another homer in the same game and the ball landed in the last row of the red seats and two sections to the left of the previous home run. Of course I said your full of horsebleep because both of those homers would have been farther than Luke Easters.
    According to all of the old programs and media guides that I have say that Easterís home run landed in the upper deck section 4 a total of 477 feet from home plate. The Indians had marked the seat with a sticker that gave the date and the distance.
    In getting more details of these home runs from my friend he told me that Sam McDowell gave up both homers. With that I got very existed because the following day was Wahoo Winterfest, an event the Indians would have just before the start of spring training. Anyway one of the guest speakers that day was Sam McDowell. So my friend and myself went down to ask Sam about the homers. During the seminar they took questions from the audience so my friend said to Sam ď I was at a game in May of 1968 and you gave up two home runs to Frank Howard ď. To witch Sam replied ď picky, picky, picky ď. After the crowd stopped laughing I said ď We donít care that you gave up the home runs, we just want to know how fare they went. After the crowd stopped laughing again he said. Well the first one I threw him a fastball, he hit it so hard I thought it was going into orbit. It landed in the first section of the upper deck in left field, half way up in the yellow seats and a few seats from the railing. He said if he would have hit it about four feet towards center that it would have gone out of the stadium. He then said that the next one he threw him another fastball and that he must not have gotten all of that one because it landed two sections to the left in the last row of red seats. Samís recollection of the events matched what my friend saw perfectly.
    After the seminar I walked over and I asked Sam why the Indians consider Luke Easterís home run the farthest at the stadium. He asked me, who did Luke Easter play for? I said the Indians. He asked who did Frank Howard play for? I said the Senators. He said thatís your answer.
    As we walked out of the seminar I bumped into Indians VP and head of PR Bob Dibiaso. So I asked him why Easterís is considered the farthest home run and he told me because right field is farther at the stadium. I told him that I had a copy of the blueprints and that the stadium is symmetrical. He said that my blueprints are wrong. I told him that he was crazy and walked away. I actually think there is a conspiracy and a cover up in the organization.
    My favorite part of the story is this. One day after working a game against the Yankees, I used to usher.
    I waited outside the Yankee locker room to ask Frank Howard, who was coaching first base for the Yankees, if he remembered the home runs. When he came out of the locker room I asked him if I could ask him few questions and if he could follow me up into the grandstand. To my surprise he said yes. As we stood in a tunnel in the lower deck behind home plate I pointed up into the upper deck where he hit the home runs. He told me that he wouldnít doubt that he hit balls up there but he said he hit so many balls like that that he has no idea where they landed. He said that when he played you hit the ball put your head down and ran the basses. He said he was sorry he couldnít help any more than that and I thanked him for his time.
    Although he didnít give me the answer I was hoping for it was still a cool answer non-the less.
    Since all of this happened I have met two other people that where at the game and they also confirmed where the balls landed. I have also found the box score on the internet the date was May 16, 1968

Here is a drawing that gives the distance on a flat line and the elevation at witch they struck the grandstand.

Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    Here is my story. I think this happened back in 1992.

After the seminar I walked over and I asked Sam why the Indians consider Luke Easter’s home run the farthest at the stadium. He asked me, who did Luke Easter play for? I said the Indians. He asked who did Frank Howard play for? I said the Senators. He said that’s your answer.
    Seriously, I totally believe this. I also wonder if players from OTHER teams reached the CF bleachers

<I have also found the box score on the internet the date was May 16, 1968>

I would love to get the newspaper account of this.
    Oh, and VERY cool story to be involved with
    Last edited by RuthMayBond; 11-17-2009 at 10:21 AM.

GA at the old stadium was the best! In 1990 for $4 and you could be right next to the foul pole, inches from the playing field.

Quote Originally Posted by tugger View Post
    GA at the old stadium was the best! In 1990 for $4 and you could be right next to the foul pole, inches from the playing field.
    I think they're now $27

Quote Originally Posted by RuthMayBond View Post
    Seriously, I totally believe this. I also wonder if players from OTHER teams reached the CF bleachers

<I have also found the box score on the internet the date was May 16, 1968>

I would love to get the newspaper account of this.
    Oh, and VERY cool story to be involved with
    I believe that story too.

On a similar topic: Are the Orioles the only team that marks HR's that go a far distance? At Camden Yards past the seats I remember brass markers all over by the building marking HR's for all players.
    ------------
    I have been to:

Citi Field, Shea, NYS, RYS, PNC, Fenway, AT&T, CBP, Rangers Ballpark, Minute Maid Park, Wrigley, Dodger Stadium, Angel Stadium of Anaheim, PETCO Park, OP@CY, U.S.F., Comerica, Nationals Park, GABP, Progressive, Trop, Miller, Oakland-A C., Miami, RFK, Olympic Stadium, Metrodome

Coming Soon 2014: Olympic Stadium, Chase Field?

Since Frank Howard was mentioned, this was posted on the Yankee Stadium Pre-Renovation thread. Take a look at the blast he hits off of Whitey Ford.....must have travelled 470 Ft......and it was only a double.....but he smoked it. The at bat is at the 4:09 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjmkVNG1_-M

Luke Easter HR

Fond memories of this park. Where I saw my first MLB game. As a very young boy my father would take me along on train and bus excursions in the late 1950's from Buffalo NY. A good number of Bosox and Yankee fans going down to Cleveland from Buffalo.

Here is a change in that distance to CF.

Wes Farrell homer

Chip any chance you could pinpoint this homer for me by drawing in
    section 43 on your map? How many rows in the section?

Elmer

elmer,

Section 43 was the last section of the grandstand in left field and it had 42 rows.
    If I measure to the center of section 43 and 10 rows back like the article says
    I come up with 458 feet. Billy Evans was definitely off in measuring 433 feet
    because it was 435 feet to the end of the grandstand.

I was just wondering if anybody has any information on the color of the seats.
    My earliest recollection of the colors would match the photos above from the late
    60’s to early 70’s with the seats behind the columns being yellow and the seats in
    front being switched over from I believe white to red.
    My question is what where they before that. I found some color photos on the net
    that shows them all green. Where they all the same shade of green? In some photos
    it looks like the seats behind the columns are a lighter color. Also I worked a Browns
    game guarding the elevator entrance on the roof. There was a seat up there that I think
    was one of the original box seats. The seat also looked like it had the original paint on it
    and it matched the teal green of the seats at Yankee Stadium.

Anyway here are the pics…….

Last edited by chip; 01-21-2010 at 10:35 AM.

Here is a photo of seats that someone restores and sells.
    Take a look at the color options.

elmer,

Section 43 was the last section of the grandstand in left field and it had 42 rows.
    If I measure to the center of section 43 and 10 rows back like the article says
    I come up with 458 feet. Billy Evans was definitely off in measuring 433 feet
    because it was 435 feet to the end of the grandstand.

Thank You Chip!!!

Elmer

Great pics Chip!

Not sure I've ever seen color pics of the interior of CMS from that far back.

Do you think those wooden seats w/ the straight backs were salvaged in 1995 or had all of the original seats been replaced with plastic by then?

They are probably from í95.
    The only plastic seats where the box seats in the upper deck.
    (All the seats in front of the columns)
    And the field box seats in the lower deck and the first four rows
    of seats across the isle from the field boxes.
    The rest of the stadium still had the original seats until the end.

Here is an old postcard drawing showing what the original lights looked like.
    I believe that Cleveland Stadium was the first major stadium
    built with permanent lights for nighttime events.
    I still think the old stadium was ahead of its time in some ways.

Look familiar New Yankee Stadium fans?

The rest of the stadium still had the original seats until the end.
    I guess the roof must have preserved them well.

Though if I were a Cleveland guy, I'd rather have my seats the way they looked in 1995 than all freshly painted today.

But of course I'd have to have one of those pictured if I were an Indians/Browns fan regardless of how it looked.

Here is an old postcard drawing showing what the original lights looked like.
    Any idea what the event was pictured in the post card?

Could it have possibly been just the artist's exaggerated rendering of CMS's monstrosity for her day?

There must be 200k in that crowd.

Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast