Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Public Address Announcers

Quote Originally Posted by nymfan9 View Post
    Bob Sheppard is still alive...
    Hard to believe that the Yankee's PA man is older than the Titanic.

Bob Shepard is something like 96 years old and had done the PA work for the New York Giants football club until about a year or two ago. He will always be the best IMO. The other ones that I am currently familiar with is Dan Baker for the Phillies and there is also a woman in San Francisco. According to an article on mlb.com, her name is Renel and is also a morning radio show host. I don't know much about her other than that she is the first woman to be named a pa announcer for a baseball team.
    Last edited by Great One; 09-01-2007 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Candlestick60 View Post
    The mets past PA announcers included Jack lightcap Lauren Mathews and jack franchtti
    Jack Lightcap and Jack Franchetti were the only two men to be PA announcer at Shea in a year when the Mets won the World Series. Hopefully Alex Anthony will be able to add his name to that exclusive club.

I remember during the 1986 NLCS, the first game was played at Houston, and they included the Astrodome PA's introduction of the players. Naturally, the guy went all "homer" when it came time to introduce the Astros, such that the broadcasters commented something to the effect that the guy at Shea would have a pretty tough job beating that. Unfortunately, America never got to find out, because when they broadcast the first game at Shea, the TV did not include Jack Franchetti's introductions... we'd have to wait until the World Series to hear his voice on the TV.

The Mets' media guide, which I don't have on me at the moment, lists all of the club's public address announcers.

But who can forget the unknown (to me) gentleman who announced the players in Montreal's Jarry Park? Thanks to him, fans of a certain era will never forget the names, at least, of such "commons" as... Jooooooooooohn Baaaaaaa.....ka-bell-laaaaaaaa (John Boccabella).

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    The Mets' media guide, which I don't have on me at the moment, lists all of the club's public address announcers.
    I have mine with me.

Jack E. Lee (1962-August 1966)
    Dan Reilly (Two homestands in 1966)
    Jack Lightcap (1966-1970)
    Loren Matthews (1970-1976)
    Jack Franchetti (1977-1987)
    Pete Larkin (1988-1993)
    Don/Doug Gould (1994)
    Del Demontreaux (1995-1999)
    Roger Luce (2000-2003)
    Alex Anthony (2003-present)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    Jack Lightcap and Jack Franchetti were the only two men to be PA announcer at Shea in a year when the Mets won the World Series. Hopefully Alex Anthony will be able to add his name to that exclusive club.

I remember during the 1986 NLCS, the first game was played at Houston, and they included the Astrodome PA's introduction of the players. Naturally, the guy went all "homer" when it came time to introduce the Astros, such that the broadcasters commented something to the effect that the guy at Shea would have a pretty tough job beating that. Unfortunately, America never got to find out, because when they broadcast the first game at Shea, the TV did not include Jack Franchetti's introductions... we'd have to wait until the World Series to hear his voice on the TV.

But who can forget the unknown (to me) gentleman who announced the players in Montreal's Jarry Park? Thanks to him, fans of a certain era will never forget the names, at least, of such "commons" as... Jooooooooooohn Baaaaaaa.....ka-bell-laaaaaaaa (John Boccabella).
    The guy in Montreal was named Claude Mouton who also did PA work for Canadiens at the Forum....but it was totally bush league and I still think the PA announcer is an integral part of the officiating of the game (after all once the PA announces a player is in the game and not before the player is in the gam)...they should be required ot announce the players of eqch team exactly the same way during the game.....

My favorite PA announcer was Paul Sommerkamp who was the PA man for the Reds for many years.

He was credited with being the first to repeat the players last name. EX: Batting first...the third baseman Pete Rose...Rose. It was said he did that to give the fans who were keeping score, time to write the players name in the scorebook.

I believe Paul has passed away.

I agree on Sommerkamp. I never heard him at Crosley but I heard him at Riverfront. Everytime he introduced the team before all of those playoff games at Riverfront, I got goose bumps.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Solair Wright View Post
    This may have been posted from time to time, but does anyone have...a favorite PA announcer?
    Tom Green for the Staten Island Yankees is pretty good.

renel brooks-moon currently does the pa at mays field.
    the popular radio deejay replaced sherry davis, who announced at candlestick park as baseball's first female pa announcer.
    (maybe davis was the first female pa announcer of all the major professional sports.)
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Quote Originally Posted by west coast orange and black View Post
    the popular radio deejay replaced sherry davis, who announced at candlestick park as baseball's first female pa announcer.
    (maybe davis was the first female pa announcer of all the major professional sports.)

Quote Originally Posted by west coast orange and black View Post
    I think you are correct. Sherry Davis sounded familiar to me for some reason. Now I know why.

Quote Originally Posted by Solair Wright View Post
    ...the Giants' PA announcer is something-Moon. I can't think of her name, but she was the first woman to announce for a World Series game.

She's TERRIBLE! I've got nothing against women wanting to do this, but the way she yells and screams is so irritating. Her voice is pretty irritating, too - she sounds sort of like Jeanie Zylasko (sp?). Couldn't they have found someone else to be the first female PA announcer?
    Last edited by rdonahue; 09-16-2007 at 10:46 PM.

My favorite is the Phillies PA Announcer, Dan Baker.... he's got a great voice. I still get "goosebumps" when I here him say "Now Batting for the Phillies, Number 26, Secondbaseman.... Chase Utley".

I've gotta give number 2 to Bob Sheppard. What a great thing it is to hear him knowing he's been at Yankee Stadium since 1951.

The PA Announcer for the Red Sox is Carl Beane.

Fenway Park

"LADIES & GENTLEMEN, BOYS & GIRLS ... WELCOME TO FENWAY PARK"
    ..... Sherm Feller (28 years)

Currently it's is Carl Beane

John Kiley on the organ (live) is the only man ever to "play" for the Red Sox, Celtics & Bruins (35 years)

According to the Yanks' Media Guide the original PA man in YS was Jack Lenz, who had shared the duties with George Levy at the Polo Grounds and moved across the river with the Yanks, although on Opening Day in 1923 the crowd was so big they shared the duties again. This was before electronic PA systems, so he would walk around the stadium with an enormous megaphone and announce the lineups over and over to the sections. It looks like Lenz stayed through the 30's or so, and that Red Patterson, the Yanks' publicity man, did the announcing after WWII up through 1950. Then came Sheppard. It's Jim Hill now, and he will probably stay. He has the sound the Yankees want. It would appear they don't have a reliably complete list.

PA announcing at the Stadium was very bare bones until the mid-1960's. Most of it before the game with the greeting and lineups and the introduction of the player only for his first at-bat. After that only introduction of players as they replaced the original lineups.

Bob Sheppard is and always will be the greatest PA Announcer in all of sports, I really missed hearing him this year at the Stadium, but I'm hopeful that he'll make a comeback next year in the new park.

Bob Sheppard = The Voice of God

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    The Dodgers PA guy is Eric Smith: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESNlvOwtYYc Smith is also the PA for the Clippers.

The Angels is David Courtney, who is also the PA for the Kings, and the traffic reporter at KABC radio.

L.A.'s most well known PA guy was John Ramsey, the longtime PA voice of the Dodgers, Lakers, Kings, Angels and USC.
    For some reason, the Dodgers seem to go for the same style. Deep voiced but not a overly excited PA Announcer. Before Eric Smith, it was radio personality Mike Carlucci.

Joe Gentile was the long time Detroit Tigers PA announcer. He was awesome!

Pat Piper was the Bob Sheppard of Wrigley Field - announcing from either a table on the field in the very early days, or the first row of the grandstand later - he could always be counted on for his famous, "Ladies and gentleman, get your pencils and scorecards ready!"

Currently, it's Wayne Messmer who is the PA voice at Wrigley. He also occasionally sings the National Anthem. His story is really amazing, as he was shot in the throat in 1994 as a victim of a mugging.

Moose
    Last edited by Goober; 09-27-2008 at 02:40 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast