Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Public Address Announcers

My favorite PA announcer was Paul Sommerkamp who was the PA man for the Reds for many years.

He was credited with being the first to repeat the players last name. EX: Batting first...the third baseman Pete Rose...Rose. It was said he did that to give the fans who were keeping score, time to write the players name in the scorebook.

I believe Paul has passed away.

I agree on Sommerkamp. I never heard him at Crosley but I heard him at Riverfront. Everytime he introduced the team before all of those playoff games at Riverfront, I got goose bumps.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Solair Wright View Post
    This may have been posted from time to time, but does anyone have...a favorite PA announcer?
    Tom Green for the Staten Island Yankees is pretty good.

renel brooks-moon currently does the pa at mays field.
    the popular radio deejay replaced sherry davis, who announced at candlestick park as baseball's first female pa announcer.
    (maybe davis was the first female pa announcer of all the major professional sports.)
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Quote Originally Posted by west coast orange and black View Post
    the popular radio deejay replaced sherry davis, who announced at candlestick park as baseball's first female pa announcer.
    (maybe davis was the first female pa announcer of all the major professional sports.)

Quote Originally Posted by west coast orange and black View Post
    I think you are correct. Sherry Davis sounded familiar to me for some reason. Now I know why.

Quote Originally Posted by Solair Wright View Post
    ...the Giants' PA announcer is something-Moon. I can't think of her name, but she was the first woman to announce for a World Series game.

She's TERRIBLE! I've got nothing against women wanting to do this, but the way she yells and screams is so irritating. Her voice is pretty irritating, too - she sounds sort of like Jeanie Zylasko (sp?). Couldn't they have found someone else to be the first female PA announcer?
    Last edited by rdonahue; 09-16-2007 at 10:46 PM.

My favorite is the Phillies PA Announcer, Dan Baker.... he's got a great voice. I still get "goosebumps" when I here him say "Now Batting for the Phillies, Number 26, Secondbaseman.... Chase Utley".

I've gotta give number 2 to Bob Sheppard. What a great thing it is to hear him knowing he's been at Yankee Stadium since 1951.

The PA Announcer for the Red Sox is Carl Beane.

Fenway Park

"LADIES & GENTLEMEN, BOYS & GIRLS ... WELCOME TO FENWAY PARK"
    ..... Sherm Feller (28 years)

Currently it's is Carl Beane

John Kiley on the organ (live) is the only man ever to "play" for the Red Sox, Celtics & Bruins (35 years)

According to the Yanks' Media Guide the original PA man in YS was Jack Lenz, who had shared the duties with George Levy at the Polo Grounds and moved across the river with the Yanks, although on Opening Day in 1923 the crowd was so big they shared the duties again. This was before electronic PA systems, so he would walk around the stadium with an enormous megaphone and announce the lineups over and over to the sections. It looks like Lenz stayed through the 30's or so, and that Red Patterson, the Yanks' publicity man, did the announcing after WWII up through 1950. Then came Sheppard. It's Jim Hill now, and he will probably stay. He has the sound the Yankees want. It would appear they don't have a reliably complete list.

PA announcing at the Stadium was very bare bones until the mid-1960's. Most of it before the game with the greeting and lineups and the introduction of the player only for his first at-bat. After that only introduction of players as they replaced the original lineups.

Bob Sheppard is and always will be the greatest PA Announcer in all of sports, I really missed hearing him this year at the Stadium, but I'm hopeful that he'll make a comeback next year in the new park.

Bob Sheppard = The Voice of God

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    The Dodgers PA guy is Eric Smith: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESNlvOwtYYc Smith is also the PA for the Clippers.

The Angels is David Courtney, who is also the PA for the Kings, and the traffic reporter at KABC radio.

L.A.'s most well known PA guy was John Ramsey, the longtime PA voice of the Dodgers, Lakers, Kings, Angels and USC.
    For some reason, the Dodgers seem to go for the same style. Deep voiced but not a overly excited PA Announcer. Before Eric Smith, it was radio personality Mike Carlucci.

Joe Gentile was the long time Detroit Tigers PA announcer. He was awesome!

Pat Piper was the Bob Sheppard of Wrigley Field - announcing from either a table on the field in the very early days, or the first row of the grandstand later - he could always be counted on for his famous, "Ladies and gentleman, get your pencils and scorecards ready!"

Currently, it's Wayne Messmer who is the PA voice at Wrigley. He also occasionally sings the National Anthem. His story is really amazing, as he was shot in the throat in 1994 as a victim of a mugging.

Moose
    Last edited by Goober; 09-27-2008 at 02:40 PM.

I like Messmer at Wrigley, and the guy at Shea is good too.

The girl in Frisco is horrible.

Messmer is really classy

Blog Entries
    I remember Pat Pieper being the Cubs PA anouncer when I was a kid.
    He did the games at Wrigley for 59 years.

Pieper at Wrigley Field Sept. 1, 1932

Who can ever forget Paul Sommerkamp at old Crosley Field in Cincinnati and in the early years at old Riverfront Stadium. "Now batting No. 14 Pete Rose...Rose".

Bob Sheppard is hands down, my personal top Public Address announcer. I heard him for the first time when I was 9 at a game between the Yankees and California Angels. But when I returned to the stadium three years later in a game against the Mariners was I able to truly appreciate the man. I would be nice if he could at least do the first game next season at the new Yankee Stadium, even if his voice has to be recorded. Any indication if Derek Jeter will continue to use a recording of Sheppard's voice each time he comes to the plate at the new place?

Just to throw these trivia items in here, the PA announcer at Petco Park is Frank Anthony, who also doubles as a DJ for an oldies station. The former PA announcer at Jack Murphy/Qualcomm Stadium, Bruce Binkowski, has been the chair of the Holiday Bowl Committee for the last 10 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
    I like Messmer at Wrigley, and the guy at Shea is good too.

The girl in Frisco is horrible.
    I just saw/heard Wayne Messmer sing the anthem last week for the first time. He's very good. How many other PAs were singers as well?

The late Joe Gentile was the PA announcer for Tiger Stadium, for both the Tigers and Lions.
    Last edited by DaBigMotor; 09-27-2008 at 09:48 PM.

Charlie Jones at Sportsman's/Busch I.

Quote Originally Posted by icee82 View Post
    I agree on Sommerkamp. I never heard him at Crosley but I heard him at Riverfront. Everytime he introduced the team before all of those playoff games at Riverfront, I got goose bumps.
    Paul Sommerkamp was THE best stadium announcer I have ever heard...period.

I have seen MLB games in 22 different parks and Sommerkamp tops them all.

Yes, he passed away a number of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Philtration View Post
    I remember Pat Pieper being the Cubs PA anouncer when I was a kid.
    He did the games at Wrigley for 59 years.

Pieper at Wrigley Field Sept. 1, 1932
    And he made a very nice living selling hats on the side.

Bob Sheppard is a legend, but he's quite old and frail now. I'm sure every effort will be made to have him there when NYS opens, but I don't know what else he'll be able to do.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast