Thread: I was hit in the face yesterday by a pitch

I was hit in the face yesterday by a pitch

Not sure if this belongs here. please move if it should be elsewhere

I came up to the plate with my team up 9-4 in the fifth inning. I worked the count full after fouling off the first 3 pithces, then on the 3-2, he threw me a curve ball that got away from him, I reacted wrong and took it right in the upper cheek to the right of my right eye. Amazingly, I was fine. I didnt hit the ground, I ate it. Now today I wake up and I have a bruise that looks like the stitching on a baseball on the side of my face.

Has anyone here ever been hit in the face by a pitch and not gotten hurt? Today I feel a little off and have had a slight headache all day. This is probably a stupid question as I should see a doctor and I plan on going toonigh, but do think I might have a concussion from it? Also, if I do, how long do you think I will have to be out, we only have a few games left and Im the ace of my pitching staff...my team really needs me to come up big down the stretch as we have a very good chance of getting a bye in the first round of the playoffs...we have the best record right now, but we are only one game better than the 2 teams behind us.

I've been hit in the face, but by a linedrive back to me when I was pitching. I got it above my right eye as a result I have a scar there. The day it happened my head was pounding and I was given a Vicoden (sp?) by the doctor at the hospital and he glued the cut shut. He only gave me a handful of the pills and I only ended up taking the 1 that first day. The second day my face was swollen even more and my eye was pretty much shut, could also have been because when I fell asleep I rolled over onto that side and slept that way the rest of the night.

I guess if your having headaches it could be a sign of a concusion, although I've never had one and don't know what it feels like. I'd take a pain killer and if the pain is still there then go see a doctor. I doubt it's a concusion because it hit your cheek and not your head, but I'm no doctor. Go get it checked out.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianKid View Post
    I've been hit in the face, but by a linedrive back to me when I was pitching. I got it above my right eye as a result I have a scar there. The day it happened my head was pounding and I was given a Vicoden (sp?) by the doctor at the hospital and he glued the cut shut. He only gave me a handful of the pills and I only ended up taking the 1 that first day. The second day my face was swollen even more and my eye was pretty much shut, could also have been because when I fell asleep I rolled over onto that side and slept that way the rest of the night.

I guess if your having headaches it could be a sign of a concusion, although I've never had one and don't know what it feels like. I'd take a pain killer and if the pain is still there then go see a doctor. I doubt it's a concusion because it hit your cheek and not your head, but I'm no doctor. Go get it checked out.
    thats what I was thinking, but Im not a doctor either and Ive never had this happen to me before. Thanks for the response

Blog Entries
    My son needed a titanium plate to reconstruct his lower eye socket.

Wow, sorry to hear about that, but it sounds like you escaped pretty minimally compared to what could have been. I agree with the prior poster.....a concussion is due to the brain getting "rattled or shaken" like jello.
    Did your head hit the ground when you fell? If not, then I doubt you have a concussion, but there are many things that could be giving you the headache like pain. Your sinuses could be effected too. Definitely go see a Dr. and see if he thinks you can continue to play. Sounds like you will be OK with a few days rest.

Quote Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
    Wow, sorry to hear about that, but it sounds like you escaped pretty minimally compared to what could have been. I agree with the prior poster.....a concussion is due to the brain getting "rattled or shaken" like jello.
    Did your head hit the ground when you fell? If not, then I doubt you have a concussion, but there are many things that could be giving you the headache like pain. Your sinuses could be effected too. Definitely go see a Dr. and see if he thinks you can continue to play. Sounds like you will be OK with a few days rest.
    well, I never hit the floor. But the spot where the ball hit me was very close to my temple, like a quarter of an inch away. Im going to the doctor tonight so Ill let you know. Thanks for you response

Blog Entries
    I am no doctor myself, but I do work at an ER.

You're not complaining of being sensitive to light or any vomiting, so that's a good sign. It sounds minor, so you'll probably need to take it easy for a couple of days and you'll be ok.
    Religion: Yankeeist

"Hanging out with him sucks because all the women flock to him. Let's see, he's been on the cover of GQ, is rich and famous, hits for average and power and is a helluva nice guy." - Tim Raines on Derek Jeter

Quote Originally Posted by RubeBaker View Post

You're not complaining of being sensitive to light or any vomiting, so that's a good sign. It sounds minor, so you'll probably need to take it easy for a couple of days and you'll be ok.
    no, none of that. Im optimistic that Ill be able to go Snnday. Thats all I really care about is being able to play and winning a championship..after that, I can die

Thanks for your input

In high school I remember throwing a wicked fast ball to the outside corner on this lefty, he ripped it back toward the mound. I moved slightly and the ball hit me square on my forehead. I fell to the ground , knocked me out. I hear the ball went straight over to the first baseman for the out. I woke up the next morning with a monster headache and a rawlings tattoo on my head. I rested for a few days and was alright to play. When it happened, everyone said they thought it hit near my eye and it could have shattered the optical bones. I guess you can say it was lucky to be so hard headed..

Do you go to WebMD for baseball knowledge?

While coaching baseball in the former Soviet Union, I had a player get hit in the face so badly that it actually broke his cartlidge away from his nasal area and moved it under the skin. It had to be moved back into place and "set" although that is a misnomer for what they can actually do to it. He was blind for a few hours. Very scary! He went on to be the catcher on a state championship team and was the starting catcher at a very good D-I school for 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by beisbolcrazy22 View Post
    and a rawlings tattoo on my head.
    wow that brings back some thoughts. i went to go block a pitch and the guy somehow foul tipped it, it hit below the bicep and above the forearm and i was yelping like a mad dog. Ii ended up with the baseball stitch marks on that arm for days and a giant welt.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Zizmor View Post

I came up to the plate with my team up 9-4 in the fifth inning. I worked the count full after fouling off the first 3 pithces, then on the 3-2, he threw me a curve ball that got away from him, I reacted wrong and took it right in the upper cheek to the right of my right eye. Amazingly, I was fine. I didnt hit the ground, I ate it. Now today I wake up and I have a bruise that looks like the stitching on a baseball on the side of my face.

Has anyone here ever been hit in the face by a pitch and not gotten hurt? Today I feel a little off and have had a slight headache all day. This is probably a stupid question as I should see a doctor and I plan on going toonigh, but do think I might have a concussion from it? Also, if I do, how long do you think I will have to be out, we only have a few games left and Im the ace of my pitching staff...my team really needs me to come up big down the stretch as we have a very good chance of getting a bye in the first round of the playoffs...we have the best record right now, but we are only one game better than the 2 teams behind us.
    GO SEE A DOCTOR.

You can recover relatively quickly, assuming you get proper care. If not, you can end up with brain damage.

yea its best to play it safe. Go see your doc, or even go to the ER just to make sure everything is intact and nothing came loose. I see too many ballplayers playing off an injury just to play and ending up getting hurt even more. u might have just gotten a bruse now, but it could affect your vision and even your thinking in time.

Nice trophy

PLEASE SEE A DOCTOR

If you don't want to see a doctor, you may want to take advice that I have heard for years from some very respected baseball coachs
    "just rub some dirt on it"

Just make sure the dirt is from the same baseball diamond that you got hit on. Best if dirt is taken from the spot you got hit.

respectfully yours,

drill
    Last edited by Drill; 08-21-2007 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RubeBaker View Post

I use to feel like that when I was in college many years ago.

drill

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Zizmor View Post

i never got hit with a baseball in the face.....but i did get hit by a metal bat. A concussion and 15 stitches later...good times
    Riding Revel8