Thread: Rawlings vs. wilson

Rawlings vs. wilson

K so I was looking at two models of gloves gonna finally buy me a $150 or so glove not cheap here something that will last me for the rest of my baseball career at least another 5 years just in case,

rawlings HOH

http://www.cheapbats.com/product_inf...roducts_id=521

wilson A2K

http://www.cheapbats.com/product_inf...roducts_id=171

I really like the A2K but $280 is WAY too much for a glove I was thinking more in the $180 tops range.

didn't even read your post.... rawlings

The reason its so expensive is because the Rawlings equivelent of an A2K is a Pro Preffered.

A Wilson equivelent Heart of the Hide is an A2000

And I preffer Wilson gloves to Rawlings gloves.

again, your going to get biased responses, just put your hand in the glove and see which is more confy

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie#6 View Post
    again, your going to get biased responses, just put your hand in the glove and see which is more confy
    This is true. You need to find what feels better to you. I have always been a Rawlings guy (and still like them), but my next glove will be a Wilson. I really love how my hand fits and feels in a Wilson.

I cant do that I dont live even remarkably close to a store that carries both of these gloves unless big 5's or dick's sporting goods does, if anyone knows of one that carries the gloves in pueblo CO pm me and let me know.

even tho ppl have diff opinions and a glove is a personal preference, mine being rawliings, i'll still try to be of some help...rawlings pro preferred is similar to the wilson a2k however rawlings breaks in harder than the a2k, which is generally the same with the heart of the hide and a2000. the HOH is harder than the a2000 but breaks in softer than the pro preferred. ive had 3 pro preferreds and one a2000 but ive tried on a bunch of mi friends' gloves. i would recommend goin to a store and trying them on but its hard to try on a mitt and decide which one u like b4 it is broken in so see what some of your friends have. good luck.

no one here really has expensive gloves like that just tpx is the most expensive glove they have.

if you dont want to spend the money, get the wilson A1000, It's just as good as the A2000 or A2k . I have the A1000 and i dont even see the difference between my friends A2000

And the A1000 is only one hundred dollars.

This is a 'Coke or Pepsi", "Mary Ann or Ginger" type of question. I agree, just try them both on for size and pick whichever feels right to you.
    Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours. - Yogi Berra

I have both -- Wilson A2k KP92, two wilson A3000 K87 and 1955, Rawlings HOH 1993 USA made 12.75", and Rawlings Pro Preferred 12.75"

Rawlings is thicker, heavier and takes longer to break in. Wilson thinner, lighter, and breaks in sooner.

do you like heavier or lighter gloves? I suspect the Rawlings will outlast the Wilson by a good amount.

Thumbs up

I have the following:

Rawlings Pro Preferred 12.75 trapeze 50th anniversary series - awesome glove but it's for a collectible

Rawlings Pro Preferred PROS601kb Trapeze 12.75" - awesome glove

Wilson 12800 K14 First base mitt $120 at ballglovewarehouse.com. Great glove... not a Rawlings but its great. The wilson's seem a bit softer than the pro preferred gloves. I prefer the stiffer glove

Glovesmith Custom Elite Curried Retanned Leather 13.5" softball glove with modified trap web in black with tobacco welt. This is a custom glove with my name embroidered. glovesmith Custom Elites are probably the best gloves ever made. They are even better than the old Rawlings Heart of the Hide gloves made in the USA.

The new HOH gloves aren't as good as they once were, which is why I like the Pro Preferred gloves.

wilson a2000 series have anice fit but I don't like how soft they are when they are new. My A2800 K14 is a kip leather but feels much softer than my Rawlings Pro Preferred. I could close the AWilson without much effort after only a few tosses of catch. It does feel good on my hand, though. What is the biggest difference between deerskin lining and the deer-tanned lining in Rawlings gloves? The HOH have deer-tanned. The Pro Preferred gloves have deer skin. Is there a difference in feel? durability? etc

Quote Originally Posted by marlins3 View Post
    Glovesmith Custom Elites are probably the best gloves ever made. They are even better than the old Rawlings Heart of the Hide gloves made in the USA. The new HOH gloves aren't as good as they once were, which is why I like the Pro Preferred gloves.
    I agree. I have been a loyal HOH user for several years, and also played with the Akadema Pro gloves as well. I like the Glovesmith gloves for the quality of the leather and attention to the detailed craftsmanship in their construction (welt, lining, etc.). They are awesome gloves at a great price compared to the big name MLB companies.
    Have Fun and Play Hard!

Chuck Faulkner
    Tazewell TN 37879
    The Glove Medic

Quote Originally Posted by glovemedic View Post
    I agree. I have been a loyal HOH user for several years, and also played with the Akadema Pro gloves as well. I like the Glovesmith gloves for the quality of the leather and attention to the detailed craftsmanship in their construction (welt, lining, etc.). They are awesome gloves at a great price compared to the big name MLB companies.
    exactly. Fora custom glove, it was $219 for everything....including shipping. I only wish they made a trapeze model... which is why I still bought a pro preferred after buying my Glovesmith. I bought a softball-size glove from Glovesmith because I play both softball (church) and baseball. I could have used the Glovesmith for both but still loved the Pro Preferreds so.........

Blog Entries
    We used to have the old Rawlings HOH which took a long time to break in. It was was stolen. We went to the baseball shop and loved the old SSK Nomar model, which was a very nice glove. After 4 years, it was time to shop for a new glove, so we went back to SSK and found their quality has gone downhill.

We looked at the Rawlings ProPreferred, the Wilson A2K, the Nokona and the Akadema. We heard about the Nokona's getting floppy after a short time. My son chose the A2K and loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by marlins3 View Post
    For a custom glove, it was $219 for everything....including shipping. I only wish they made a trapeze model
    They do have a sort of trap model. I bought an 11.5" glove with their " emmanating trap" web. I was hoping it was a laced-in mod-trap, but it turned out to be a 5th finger (extension of the palm leather) with a spiral bridge across the top. It is still good, but I will specify next time I order a glove if they still offer a laced-in trap. For OF gloves, I prefer an H-web over the trap model so GS will be the way I go on my next glove.
    Have Fun and Play Hard!

Chuck Faulkner
    Tazewell TN 37879
    The Glove Medic

Quote Originally Posted by jamesh23 View Post
    I cant do that I dont live even remarkably close to a store that carries both of these gloves unless big 5's or dick's sporting goods does, if anyone knows of one that carries the gloves in pueblo CO pm me and let me know.
    Have you considered using your telephone?

Bob

for what? i know they dont carry those gloves, and i cant feel it over the phone.

wilsons are generally lighter and I prefer wilsons BUt it depends on what models you prefer.I like the rawlings trapeze better than the wilson.I like pedros model as well.go touch them

Here is my take on the gloves I have owned.

Wilson A2K - I know its expensive, I know its Kip, but to me its not nearly in the same ballpark as Rawlings Pro-Preferred's.

Rawlings HOH - They are "ok". Not nearly what the were since they stopped making them here.

Nokona's - Just way to heavy and get way too floppy for me.

Rawlings Pro Preferred...In my opinion an awesome glove, very well made and will last a long time....In my opinion its the 2nd best glove I ever owned.

With all that said the best glove I ever owned (and stupidly sold it for some jackass reason) is a Glovesmith Custom Elite. The leather is atleast as good as the old HOH's probably better. The construction and quality to detail is by far the best you will find anywhere. After searching for the right glove for a while I actually ordered two of these and they will be here shortly. Search over!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    With all that said the best glove I ever owned (and stupidly sold it for some jackass reason) is a Glovesmith Custom Elite. ....I actually ordered two of these and they will be here shortly. Search over!!!
    Which models did your order? Will you post images once they arrive. I always like to see what color combos folks come up with. I tend to go with the black shell and wheat palm, trim, and laces look.

Have fun and play hard!
    Have Fun and Play Hard!

Chuck Faulkner
    Tazewell TN 37879
    The Glove Medic

Quote Originally Posted by glovemedic View Post
    Which models did your order? Will you post images once they arrive. I always like to see what color combos folks come up with. I tend to go with the black shell and wheat palm, trim, and laces look.

Have fun and play hard!
    I was pretty boring. I play modified fast pitch softball. So I bought a 12 3/4" all Wheat CRS H Web glove for the outfield and a 12 1/4" all black CRS H web. I know the gloves are cut a little bigger than Rawlings for instance so those are the sized I went with. I know some guys use a 13 1/2" glove for the infield in softball but I just cant do it.

Not much imagination there but I will post them up when I get them.

Try Nokona

Very good glove that will last you the rest of your life. I love mine and won't ever ever ever use anything else