Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building muscle to throw harder?

Building muscle to throw harder?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I have heard mixed opinions on how to throw harder. I may be misguided, but for a while in the past I believed that strength does not make you throw harder, only mechanics can. Then I heard about Clemens having to get in shape to be a power pitcher. So my question is, even if it is an obvious one: Will getting stronger help me to throw harder? What parts of my body should I be training? I have been focusing on the legs and abs a bit more than anything else. Core is a distant third, and triceps fourth.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charger567 View Post
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I have heard mixed opinions on how to throw harder. I may be misguided, but for a while in the past I believed that strength does not make you throw harder, only mechanics can. Then I heard about Clemens having to get in shape to be a power pitcher. So my question is, even if it is an obvious one: Will getting stronger help me to throw harder? What parts of my body should I be training? I have been focusing on the legs and abs a bit more than anything else. Core is a distant third, and triceps fourth.
    I guess another way to ask this question is will losing strength help you throw harder? Probably not...

Strength conditioning will help you perform better as an overall athlete, to includes throwing.
    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
    - John Cotton Dana (18561929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Core is a distant third, and triceps fourth.
    You should definitely fix this.

Squats/deadlifts will work both your core and your legs, and are MUCH better exercises than 95% of stuff in the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by kylebee View Post
    You should definitely fix this.

Squats/deadlifts will work both your core and your legs, and are MUCH better exercises than 95% of stuff in the gym.
    I do everything at home. I run straight uphill on my treadmill and do dynamic warm ups for my legs, bench dips for my triceps, and various exercises for my abs.

So could you clarify, will this make me throw harder?

I do everything at home. I run straight uphill on my treadmill and do dynamic warm ups for my legs, bench dips for my triceps, and various exercises for my abs.

I can't authoritatively say it will make you throw harder, but a strong body is a good one. I am of the opinion that mechanics are first and foremost and that strength conditioning will help in you in your quest. It should also help mitigate injury risks.,

Don't run uphill, there's no running uphill in baseball, and yes, there is a difference between running uphill and flat ground.

It won't make you throw harder unless you have obvious lack of strength. Ask yourself how much strength does it take to throw a 5 oz baseball?

The right work outs can help you practice longer, improve heat-tolerance, help you mentally and decrease your chance of injury, which allows you to pitch more (giving good mechanics), which equates to more velocity.
    While I do prefer to interact with people in a gentle manner... I'm also not at all opposed to establishing my dominance in a reign of terror.

I'm 6'3 220 with a lot of muscle and my arm is the weakest on my team. Don't know why. Sure is annoying though.

So I would say that muscle mass has little to do with arm strength.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrUniverse09 View Post
    I'm 6'3 220 with a lot of muscle and my arm is the weakest on my team. Don't know why. Sure is annoying though.

So I would say that muscle mass has little to do with arm strength.
    I don't think Charger was talking about muscle mass - just arm strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Patterson View Post
    I don't think Charger was talking about muscle mass - just arm strength.

Heh...kind of a misleading thread title then.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrUniverse09 View Post
    Heh...kind of a misleading thread title then.
    Strength is needed, mass can be limiting.

I don't know why anyone would say you shouldn't do hill sprints for overall fitness. I am not saying you have to, I am just saying that adding additional resistance is likely good thing. Find a steep grade, and sprint up the hill full out 10-15 seconds, walk back down, do this 6-8 times once or twice a week. It won't kill him and the heavy interval training is complimentary to the type of work he'll do pitching.

Another option would be to simply go to a track, and do this for a short time on flat ground, and make sure all the tendons, joints, and muscles are primed a bit, before adding uphill resistance.

I am guessing Clemens has a strong squat and deadlift, though I have never heard any specific numbers.

Getting stronger will help you throw harder. Since you're thirteen a lot of that strength will come just from growing. Be careful what kind of training you do and how much during these important growth years. Do not do something, or to the extent it could damage growth plates.

Some of the 13yo's you're around are throwing harder because they have physically developed earlier. Your turn will come.

I would focus on the core, and anything that rotates the torso, which should include your abs and lats. I would also do some leg work.

I would also focus on conditioning your rotator cuff.

Biceps and Triceps work is a waste of time (in terms of pitching).

No.

What you need to do are straight and rotating sit-ups and related exercises that work your core.

I hit the gym during the offseason. I spent 3 months. I did total upper body, lower body, core etc every thing. I trained like i was a football player, a basketball player, and a baseball player. I would go to the gym 2 times a week for about 8hrs all together (a week). I ran alot, i biked alot, I did every work out possible (hence i spent so much time in the gym, and the doctor said that i never stunted my growth). Along with growing an inch (Since I was 13- 14 in theese 3 months), my power went up, my speed went up, my arm strenght went up 100 ft (Along with improved mechanics). And, this is not from growing because it is my growing time or whatever. I got great results from working out, and i would definatley recomend exercising everything (Every muscle, even if it is quote on qoute useless for baseball), because it makes you a better overall athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris O'Leary View Post
    No.

What you need to do are straight and rotating sit-ups and related exercises that work your core.

I would have to disagree with you Chris (Wow, this is a first, and you will propably prove me wrong, but it's worth a try). I believe that running uphill does help alot for pitchers especially younger ones, in fact only younger ones. Here's why...

I don't know if this is true everywhere, but alot of kids are over weight, and by running uphill, you burn off alot of weight, therefore your a better athlete, quicker... follow what i'm saying. In my opinion, to do any type of physical sport and do it well, you need to be in great shape. If your in great shape, you'll be a better athlete..;.

I hope that makes sense, I know I may not of been to clear...

Oh and, your page on rotational hitting is amazing. I did most of the stuff, but now I know what its called, and how rotational hitting actually works... your site rocks.

Most weight regiments for building arm strength will do nothing to help you throw harder. Obviously being a better athlete is to your advantage but that's not the goal in question.

Mike Marshall didn't used to recommend (biological) 12-15 year olds using his wrist weight and iron ball exercises, but I think he rescinded that stance. Someone your age can do his exercises with five pound wrist weights and (I think) two pound iron balls. If done properly, that would strengthen your rotator cuff muscles, bones and ligaments. I think you could continue throwing "traditionally" but the exercises would have to be done Mike's way.

Marshall cites Tommy John and Rudy Saez as those who've utilized his iron ball throws, and I'm fairly certain they didn't use his pitching motion.

I'm the one that said not to do running up-hill (as opposed to doing no running at all. If they are over weight, then heck, do both, but baseball is not played running up-hill)

40.7: "For example, training for running on the flat does little for hill running. Both forms of running need specific training for adequate training effects to occur (Noakes, 1986). For a player's sprinting to imrpove, sprinting has to be part of the training program. A great deal of the strength of the principle of specificity resides in the selective adaptation of the muscle functioning for particular actions. This suggests that enhancement of oxygen extraction in muscles can only be trained by using the form, speed, and intensity of the targeted competitive activity as a training stimulus. Since baseball involves upright runningm it would seem that running would be the best aerobic training activity. While other activities (e.g., cycling ergometry, rowing, Stairmaster) also produce aerobic work, it would not be specific to running and would only transfer partially when a player was in a state of very poor fitness."

So why not just stick with running on the flat?
    While I do prefer to interact with people in a gentle manner... I'm also not at all opposed to establishing my dominance in a reign of terror.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Cardinals View Post
    I would have to disagree with you Chris (Wow, this is a first, and you will propably prove me wrong, but it's worth a try). I believe that running uphill does help alot for pitchers especially younger ones, in fact only younger ones. Here's why...
    I don't have a problem with running (or running uphill) from the standpoint of general conditioning. The legs are involved in the throw and thus this could be beneficial.

However, I think there are other things that a pitcher could and should do that would benefit them more directly (and that are pretty much missing from the workout plan described above).

Quote Originally Posted by Chris O'Leary View Post
    I don't have a problem with running (or running uphill) from the standpoint of general conditioning. The legs are involved in the throw and thus this could be beneficial.

However, I think there are other things that a pitcher could and should do that would benefit them more directly (and that are pretty much missing from the workout plan described above).
    Ohh, ok, thank you... that makes sense...

building muscles to throw harder? if that's true, Sandy Koufax should've had Gabe Kapler arms

One thing I've been wondering about is this. I know that Jays pitcher Brandon League is currently on the 60-day DL because of the fact that he worked out too much in the offseason, and apparently tired out his arm or something (I believe he has ligament damage or something).

Can too much working out (too much bulk) be a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Richmond Hill Phoenix View Post
    One thing I've been wondering about is this. I know that Jays pitcher Brandon League is currently on the 60-day DL because of the fact that he worked out too much in the offseason, and apparently tired out his arm or something (I believe he has ligament damage or something). Can too much working out (too much bulk) be a bad thing?
    If by working out you mean heavy duty weightlifting, the answer is yes.

The biggest problem is muscle imbalances. In essence, you build up your accelerators (e.g. pecs) without building up your brakes. Poor technique can also cause problems in the shoulders. The same thing goes for lifting too much weight.

You have to follow a balanced workout program that works all of the muscles in your arm (e.g. both sides of the shoulder joint). Usually that can be accomplished using just 3 to 5 pound barbells.

And also, if you do heavy lifting, then pitch without proper rest, you can damage yourself further.

As well as, you don't want your speed of movement to decrease, which happened to Pedro Martinez, gaining 25-30 pounds of muscle and he can barely hit 90 now, and has had injuries.

Oh, and didn't Brandon League got the very reverse 'benefit' of lifting during the offseason? I remember reading the article that he got injured so bad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast