Thread: Most consecutive ABs with and without a hit

Most consecutive ABs with and without a hit

So I did a little research and the record for most straight ABs with a hit is 12 by former Tiger Walt Dropo.

I was curious what is the record for most consecutive PAs without a hit (or most straight PAs without a hit to start a season). I bring this up because current Tiger Brandon Inge is off to an 0-17 start this season with 3 walks (with an OPS+ of NEGATIVE 54). Is he even close to the record?

Robin Ventura had an 0-41 run during his rookie year in 1990. I'm not sure if that is the record though.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

http://sfgiants-forum.com/forum/index.php

That's too bad. I was hoping Inge could break that record. He might still have a chance at most consecutive hitless official ABs to start a season. Also, the way he's hititing 0-41 might not be impossible - he hasn't even come close to getting a hit. It's one thing to hit the ball well right at a fielder but Inge is either striking out and looking bad or hitting a really weak grounder or fly ball that even I could catch/make a play on.

The Wikipedia entry for Bill Bergen lists his hitless streak at 46 at bats and says it's the longest hitless streak by a position player, but you know how inaccurate Wikipedia is at times. It went on to say that, if pitchers are included, Bob Buhl once went 88 ABs without a hit. Not sure about the longest hitless streak at beginning of the season, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Bergen
    Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours. - Yogi Berra

Last year, Dan Johnson got off to an 0-27 start for Oakland.
    "In the end it all comes down to talent. You can talk all you want about intangibles, I just don't know what that means. Talent makes winners, not intangibles. Can nice guys win? Sure, nice guys can win - if they're nice guys with a lot of talent. Nice guys with a little talent finish fourth and nice guys with no talent finish last." --Sandy Koufax

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgerfan1 View Post
    The Wikipedia entry for Bill Bergen lists his hitless streak at 46 at bats and says it's the longest hitless streak by a position player, but you know how inaccurate Wikipedia is at times. It went on to say that, if pitchers are included, Bob Buhl once went 88 ABs without a hit. Not sure about the longest hitless streak at beginning of the season, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Bergen
    I've heard Bergen's streak other places. If you want a streak you can verify (on retrosheet.org), you have Todd Zeile around 9/22-4/5/97 and Tony Bernazard around 4/26-5/7/84
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

That would stink until you got off the shnide. It would be like nothing is going your way.

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle1 View Post
    That would stink until you got off the shnide.
    That's what we need, a thread about how certain baseball expresssions got started
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

i need a little help guys if you can.

who holds the career WS at bats without a hit?
    on why she had 12 kids, "i love my husband." i said "i love my cigar but i take it out sometimes"noc-noc out

In 1962 Bob Buhl went hitless in 85 PA's. Of course, he is a pitcher.

In 1936 Hal Finney went 35 PA's went without a hit, a walk, an HBP, a sac bunt, or a sac fly.
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cash View Post
    i need a little help guys if you can.

who holds the career WS at bats without a hit?
    I believe it's George Earnshaw, hitless in twenty-two AB

Quote Originally Posted by RuthMayBond View Post
    I believe it's George Earnshaw, hitless in twenty-two AB
    Heck, I could've beat that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by TRfromBR View Post
    Heck, I could've beat that.
    No, you aren't good enough to get 23 AB in the WS

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sweater View Post
    When you catch up to half of me, we'll talk

No, you aren't good enough to get 23 AB in the WS
    All I needed was more talent, perseverence and luck. Then I could've done it.

P.S. What does the AB and WS stand for?

Quote Originally Posted by TRfromBR View Post
    All I needed was more talent, perseverence and luck. Then I could've done it.

P.S. What does the AB and WS stand for?
    AB is At-Bats, and WS is World Series. As long as you're wishing for talent, why don't you wish for enough talent to set a positive record?

Hideo Nomo started his career 0-for-35 before singling against Bobby Witt.

I wonder if that is the record to start a career?

Quote Originally Posted by flash143817 View Post
    Hideo Nomo started his career 0-for-35 before singling against Bobby Witt.

I wonder if that is the record to start a career?
    Randy Tate was 0 for 41 for his career.

Also Ron Herbel started his career 0 for 55 before his first hit. He then went another 53 at bats before his 2nd hit so at one time his batting average was .009 (1 for 108). He did managed to get it all the up to .029 before he was done.