Thread: anyone ever make a homemade pitching net?

anyone ever make a homemade pitching net?

Hey all. i'm thinking of making a homemade net in the backyard to practice some pitching/tossing and perhaps some golfing. anyways, ive been thinking of making it out of a large tarp(6'x8'), some abs/pvc tubing as a frame, and some bunji cords to connect the net to the frame. do you guys think this would hold up to a baseball? of course i probably only throw at like 55-65 mph(i'm 23 but ive never really played baseball before).
    has anyone made their own net with success?
    where do i get cheap baseballs anyways? i tried looking on ebay and the cheap balls usually become uncheap by the time they sell. i'll check out some of the local sports stores last this week, but i dont know if they'll have anything cheap yet since its still snowing here.

I get soft toss balls at this place called Play it Again Sports and they have used baseballs for 50cents

i use an old matress haha...works pretty well though

pitching net made easy

yeah, I used the pvc piping and filled with sand. Then went out any purchased some 1 1/4 square mesh nylon netting from a fishing place. fixed it with cinch ties.
    When I needed it for golf, I went and purchased 3/4 stretch mesh for the netting. Put it all together for around $40

thanks for the replies and tips you guys. still havn't found a place that sells balls for cheap, but i'll keep on looking. my brother said he saw a catching net for pitching practice at walmart for like 30 dollars so we might go that route, though i dont think it'll too well for golf.
    beisbolcrazy22, what size of pvp piping did you use? i was thinking of using 2" but wasn't sure if it'd hold up to accidental impacts.

Cheap Baseballs

"Do not dismiss what you do not understand"
    "A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice." - Bill Cosby
    "There are sound intellectual grounds for holding faith positions" - Fungo 22

THe pvc surpisingly held up very well. I didnt start to damage it until I started using if for golf. Then I went to using aircraft cable suspended between two trees and connected the net with brass snap hooks. I pull it out like a curtain and hit balls into it. works great.

I made a golf/pitching net with a frame of 2x4's about 10ft/10ft. Then I stapled an old bed sheet to the top, and attatched the bottom with a couple bungie cords. It held up pretty well...

As for the cheap baseballs, the Play it Again Sports (mentionned before) near me has some.
    "Does this message discuss our national pastime in an interesting manner?"
    -BBF Policy, Section VII

chesspirate, thanks for the link. i emailed them about shipping to canada, and sadly its 25 bucks to ship so its not too worth it.
    yesterday i was moving some stuff to my brothers place and it turned out we moved 2 bed frames and he only needed one. then it turned out we don't even know where the second frame came from so i think i might turn it into a frame for the net, should save me some cash.
    i checked for some play it again sports near me and there are none in saskatchewan. theres like 6 of them in alberta and one in manitoba but i don't really feel like driving 5 hours and spending 50 bucks on gas for some baseballs.