Thread: Mike Schmidt Astrodome HR video

Mike Schmidt Astrodome HR video

I have been looking for a video (youtube, google video, anything!) of Mike Schmidt's Jun 10,1974 HR which hit a speaker 300ft away and 100 feet high at the Astrodome. The only thing I've found is the radio call, which doesn't really help (but is pretty entertaining, listening to the puzzled commentator trying to figure out why the ball dropped from the sky all of a sudden: http://www.astrosdaily.com/audio/74schmidt.mp3)

Mike Schmidt

Mike Schmidt hit some Sick homeruns. That guy was a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsburg2599 View Post
    I have been looking for a video (youtube, google video, anything!) of Mike Schmidt's Jun 10,1974 HR which hit a speaker 300ft away and 100 feet high at the Astrodome. The only thing I've found is the radio call, which doesn't really help (but is pretty entertaining, listening to the puzzled commentator trying to figure out why the ball dropped from the sky all of a sudden: http://www.astrosdaily.com/audio/74schmidt.mp3)
    Was it ruled a single??

It dropped and with much of the confusion, Schmidt was held to a single. The Phillies beat the Astros 12-0.

Quote Originally Posted by duckydps View Post
    Was it ruled a single??
    As Astros stated, Schmidt was held to a single.... the ground rules at the Astrodome stated that any ball hitting anything hanging from the ceiling (speaker, etc) was a live ball, and a fair ball (if the said speaker was also in fair territory, as Schmidt's was).

Certainly the hardest hit single of all time.

I recently listened to a Mike Schmidt episode of the Baseball History Podcast, and it stated that the speaker was 329 feet from home plate, and 100 feet in the air..... imagine a ball clearing the wall down the line at ANY park (most of which would not hold a ball hit 329 feet) and then imagine that same ball, (at the exact moment it was clearing the 329 foot marker on the wall down the line) STILL as high as a TEN STORY BUILDING.

Incredible, and quite hard to fathom, really.

Quote Originally Posted by StanTheMan View Post
    As Astros stated, Schmidt was held to a single.... the ground rules at the Astrodome stated that any ball hitting anything hanging from the ceiling (speaker, etc) was a live ball, and a fair ball (if the said speaker was also in fair territory, as Schmidt's was).

Certainly the hardest hit single of all time.

I recently listened to a Mike Schmidt episode of the Baseball History Podcast, and it stated that the speaker was 329 feet from home plate, and 100 feet in the air..... imagine a ball clearing the wall down the line at ANY park (most of which would not hold a ball hit 329 feet) and then imagine that same ball, (at the exact moment it was clearing the 329 foot marker on the wall down the line) STILL as high as a TEN STORY BUILDING.

Incredible, and quite hard to fathom, really.
    Which is why I hope I can eventully find video of it, so I can send over to www.hittrackeronline.com and have him figure out how far it would of went if the speaker wasn't there.