Thread: MLB Scouts

MLB Scouts

This is pretty much a general question about how scouts operate. If you end up attending a DIII school do scouts look at you differently because you're not playing at a DI school?

I know scouts watch more DI schools because they're there to keep tabs on the drafted players, but what about the DII and DIII schools?

Thanks.

If you can play, then you can play. Scouts don't care where you go to school as long as you have the tools needed to be successful at the next level. Notice that I said tools. If you can throw the ball in the 90's or hit the ball a mile, you'll be seen one way or another. Scouts tend to gravitate to D1 games because the level of talent is supposedly higher. Someone putting up good numbers at a D1 college will get better looks than a player having good numbers at a D3 or NAIA school because of the perception that the D3 player does not face stiff enough competition day-in and day-out.

thats very true sometimes it just comes down to your coaches and if they have conections and you have to put yourself out there to by going to baseball camps and even tryouts that teams hold for those ameuters
    Cowboys to win the Super Bowl and Texas Rangers to win The Series

Some players are in D2 and D3 school because they developed late physically or talent wise. The good ones/possible prospects will get themselves in college summer leagues playing against mostly D1 players. This is where they can show scouts they can handle the challenge of a higher caliber of play.

A 6'2" or bigger, pitcher throwing 90+ heat can be playing at any level. The scouts will see tools coaches can develop.

Good thread.

Scouts are busy

The territory a scout must cover is vast. Scouts typically use a variety of tools to help screen talent, and players at the division I level have already been screened by the coaches that recruited them to play for the school. Playing for a lower division means less chance of being noticed.

Questions about talent scouts

Can you please help me with these:

1. Do scouts still consider amateur players who are 29 years old?
    2. What are the chances of a talented foreign player who never set foot in the US be picked by scouts?
    3. Aside in Japan, do we have scouts looking for prospects in the Philippines?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    The territory a scout must cover is vast. Scouts typically use a variety of tools to help screen talent, and players at the division I level have already been screened by the coaches that recruited them to play for the school. Playing for a lower division means less chance of being noticed.
    You would be surprised how many umpires are sub-scouts. They call the scouts with leads. Then the scout comes for a look.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bambino View Post
    Can you please help me with these:

1. Do scouts still consider amateur players who are 29 years old?
    2. What are the chances of a talented foreign player who never set foot in the US be picked by scouts?
    3. Aside in Japan, do we have scouts looking for prospects in the Philippines?

Thanks
    1) Probably not unless he has a 95+ fastball and can advance rapidly to the majors. A player typically spends 3-5 years in the minors. That leaves a 29+ at 32+ to 34+.
    2) It depends if he's in a player rich area like the Carribean.
    3) Is there quality competition there, or is a young pitcher throwing 90+?

do u guys have any idea if there is a way of knowing whats been written about u on a scout's report?

Quote Originally Posted by TG Coach View Post
    1) . A player typically spends 3-5 years in the minors.

TG,

Can you provide me with a source to back up your claim?

I am not challenging the veracity of your statement but I like to get a source for my own.

Thank you sir,

Quote Originally Posted by Cubano100% View Post
    TG,

Can you provide me with a source to back up your claim?

I am not challenging the veracity of your statement but I like to get a source for my own.

Thank you sir,
    I don't have a source. But let's use logic. And I'm talking about players who make it to The Show and stick, not players who try forever to get to the majors. There are five levels in the minors, Rookie A, Mid A, High A, AA and AAA. If a player comes out of high school and advances through each level one year at a time, that's five years. Some college players will be older and more advanced and may go through the minors quicker. A quality college player may start in high A. However, it's not uncommon for a college player to start at Rookie A ball just like a high school player.

A stud, high first round pick from our area out of high school is in his fifth year of minors ball. He's in AAA. He's played well and advanced each year. Another local kid was a seventh round pick and has struggled. I was surprised he wasn't cut after hitting below .200 for the second straight year of Rookie A and not having signed for a lot of money. He's in Rookie A for his third season. Chances are if he doesn't show enough to move up and start in mid level A next year, he'll be cut. If he ultimately makes it to the majors it will probably take him more than five years since he's in his third year at the first level.

Now let's take a college first round pick. D1 is equal to A ball. Carlos Quentin was a stud for Stanford and a first round pick of the D'backs. He didn't sign in time to play the summer he graduated. The next spring they put him in High A. He played well and spent the second half of the season in AA. He did well and spent the following season in AAA and did well. Now comes the hard part. Is there a place to play at the MLB level? There wasn't for him so he went back to AAA. He was called up midseason of his third minor league season and has stuck as a starter.

Another example is a friend of mine who signed out of high school and gave up after not being called up by the time he was twenty-seven. He was a late round draft choice. Statistically he succeeded at every level he pitched. After two years in AA and four years in AAA and being passed up for high priced bonus babies he gave up.

If you want to track the minor league careers of some current MLB'ers go to thebaseballcube.com.

Thank you, TG.

I thought you had some type of study about this issue. Anyways, I agree with your reasoning.

Blog Entries
    Does anyone know where scouts would go in Northern New Jersey?

Quote Originally Posted by NJMetfan4life View Post
    Does anyone know where scouts would go in Northern New Jersey?
    Anywhere there's talent.

Blog Entries
    No offense but it would help out more if there was a town or school or something.

Quote Originally Posted by NJMetfan4life View Post
    No offense but it would help out more if there was a town or school or something.
    Scouts don't hang out somewhere. They travel and check out the talent.

Blog Entries
    Scouts don't hang out somewhere. They travel and check out the talent.
    Ok didn't know that

I just want to make it clear;

For lefties, it's about the stuff you throw. If you can throw mid 80s, but have some good stuff, big moving splitter, power curve, you've definitely got a better chance that a LHP that hits 90 with bad control on his change and curve.

Righties mainly differ. If you're gonna have speed, you're at least gonna want to have some kind of moving change, or a big loopy curve that you can control.

I've heard for rightys we need a 90+ fastball, but I've also heard that these rightys are 6"2 and taller, what about a righty who is about 5"10? I know its not impossible to throw 90s at that height (Billy Wagner) but would that pitcher be at a disadvantage or would scouts maybe take a chance on him with an 80's FB?

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianKid View Post
    I've heard for rightys we need a 90+ fastball, but I've also heard that these rightys are 6"2 and taller, what about a righty who is about 5"10? I know its not impossible to throw 90s at that height (Billy Wagner) but would that pitcher be at a disadvantage or would scouts maybe take a chance on him with an 80's FB?
    A short righty throwing in the 80's probably isn't going to be in D1. If he has overwhelming college stats in D2 or D3 he could be a late pick in the draft. I read about a 5'10" kid throwing in the mid 80's won all but one (something like 34-1) of his D3 games. He was drafted really late. I can't remember his name so I don't know what happened to him. Chances are unless he puts up huge stats at each level of the minors his manager probably isn't filing reports on him.

Quote Originally Posted by JCM718 View Post
    I just want to make it clear;

For lefties, it's about the stuff you throw. If you can throw mid 80s, but have some good stuff, big moving splitter, power curve, you've definitely got a better chance that a LHP that hits 90 with bad control on his change and curve.

Righties mainly differ. If you're gonna have speed, you're at least gonna want to have some kind of moving change, or a big loopy curve that you can control.
    Scouts concern themselves with velocity. They figure the pitcher can be taught the rest.

Scouts concern themselves with velocity. They figure the pitcher can be taught the rest.
    Yea but velocity is related with mechanics. And most lefties don't have good mechanics. Coaches can teach mechanics and velocity will grow on them. It's easier to make adjustments than to educate a pitcher with a new pitch.

A guy from my school played at a CC college and still went pro. As a matter of fact he played in the Bigs as a reliever for 7-8 years. Granted, that was back in 1980 or so but I dont see why it couldnt happen now