Thread: Jackie Robinson- GM of the Brooklyn Dodgers

Jackie Robinson- GM of the Brooklyn Dodgers

I discovered this in a not so recent issue of THE SPORTING NEWS (5/14/66):

"Jackie Robinson.....the former Dodger star entered the pro football ranks, May 2, when he was named general manager of the Brooklyn Dodgers, a new club in the Continental Football League.
    Jackie will run the team for a syndicate of wealthy sportsmen, but will not relinquish several political and financial posts he also holds."

Head Coach---- Andy Robustelli

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    I discovered this in a not so recent issue of THE SPORTING NEWS (5/14/66):

"Jackie Robinson.....the former Dodger star entered the pro football ranks, May 2, when he was named general manager of the Brooklyn Dodgers, a new club in the Continental Football League.
    Jackie will run the team for a syndicate of wealthy sportsmen, but will not relinquish several political and financial posts he also holds."

Head Coach---- Andy Robustelli
    Jackie Robinson was a football star at UCLA in the 1930s. Duke
    Snider was an LA native and Robinson the gridder was one of
    his idols as a boy.

Brownie31

I'm a sports nut, and I'd never even heard of this league before!

The "Brooklyn Dodgers" club was only around for one year out of the ContFL's five (1965-69). They never actually played in Brooklyn. They just played a few games at Downing Stadium on Randalls Island -- remember, some Ebbets Field lights went there -- and didn't draw. They were then a road team for the rest of the year before folding.

Mary Kay Linge's bio of Jackie notes that he was very busy that year with a lot of civil rights work, among other things.