View Poll Results: The NL should adopt the DH rule

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    14 18.18%
  • No

    57 74.03%
  • Meh - no opinion

    6 7.79%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 48

Thread: Should the N.L. adopt the DH rule?

  1. #1

    Should the N.L. adopt the DH rule?

    Please - vote only if you are a fan of a National League team!
    Last edited by Elvis; 07-17-2006 at 11:41 AM.

  2. #2
    NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! The AL should drop the rule!!!!!!!! Interleague play would be fair at least........
    Our future.....Colby Rasmus.....Im his biggest fan!!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Halifax, NS
    Posts
    9,310
    Blog Entries
    4
    The Brewers are not my first team, but I do follow them, and almost all the memorabilia I own is Brewers stuff, so I'll vote.

    No way in hell.

    And I'm not a profane person at all.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Rockland County, NY
    Posts
    12,023
    Blog Entries
    1
    I voted no because I enjoy having an advantage over NL teams.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    21
    No, it takes away too much strategy and lessens the impact of the manager on the game. (I guess you could make an argument this would be a good thing, but I disagree)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NE Baltimore County
    Posts
    6,737
    I grew up an AL fan but came to watch a lot of NL on cable. I like watching both and actually enjoy the difference.

    I don't see where the AL has an advantage here. I think the NL has an advantage in direct competition due to the fact that their pitchers are more experienced hitters/bunters and DHs are usually just repositioned players anyway - all teams have them.

    BTW, neither league plays a superior brand of baseball. Either way, the rule has its pluses and minuses. Unfortunately, too many are swayed by current winning streaks. That's for the casual fans. Anyone that knows competitive sports realize it all equalizes.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Oakland, Ca
    Posts
    1,128
    Pitchers should hit .... period.

    Actually, no period ... let me explain my point. Hitters have to work as hard on defense, base running skills and being an all around player ... so should pitchers. You do have some guys who just specialize in hitting ... DH's and Barry Bonds these days .... yet, and still, I think MLB players should be conditioned and trained to be all-around players, not simply specialists. People thought Albert was horrible with the glove. Although he came up as a third baseman, moved to the outfield with the introduction of Rolen, he has worked very hard at not only be a great hitter - but a great first baseman. That is a model for what all players should do.
    Last edited by Brannu; 07-17-2006 at 01:54 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Daegu, SK
    Posts
    682
    The AL should drop the DH (although the PA will never let this happen now).

    The ONLY time I would be ok with seeing the DH is the All-Star Game. Granted they just use a pinch hitter all the time anyway so it probably works better for getting players in the game.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    1,185

    umm.... no

    I'm a Mets fan and I voted No. But I would like to have have voted NO WAY IN H... you get the picture.

    Although at times having a DH could certainly help the Mets. Cliff Floyd's awful fielding could be avoided.

    From the past, Piazza could still be a Met, with 500 to 550 PA at DH he might still put up some decent numbers, despite his steep decline in San Diego. Mo Vaughn likely could have extended his career for a few years as a productive hitter if he didn't have to field the ball.

    But I still say no way. There are advantages to not having a DH -- like not having to pay the DH. DHs are often veteran players with successful track histories and therefore demand high salaries. Not having to shell out that extra $8 to 12 million for a DH allows National League teams to spend on other need areas.

    It's a trade off, less offense for more organizational flexibility.

    My main reason is that I like the contrast of styles of play in the two leagues. I'm perfectly okay with the DH in the American League.

    I think in interleague games the DH should be abolished completely, no matter if the teams are playing in an AL park or not -- precisely because it almost always gives the AL an unfair advantage. The AL team usually has a veteran slugger to DH while the NL team has a fourth outfielder or back-up middle infielder to hit in the spot. For example, when my Mets play the Yankees they have Jason Giambi at DH and we usually have someone like Chris Woodward or Endy Chavez -- not exactly fair.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Marshall, IL
    Posts
    1,399
    Two words can describe why I voted no. Carlos Zambrano. He has 3 homers. He beat out a ground ball to 3rd Saturday, and if that wasn't enough, he then stole second. Do not take Zambrano's offense away from us. The Cubs need it very badly!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Coatesville, PA
    Posts
    1,760
    crap I clicked the wrong one, I meant to click for no. I was too busy watching the Braves/Cards game. Rats. Well....No DH for me or my Phillies Please.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    1,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Gomes
    crap I clicked the wrong one, I meant to click for no. I was too busy watching the Braves/Cards game. Rats. Well....No DH for me or my Phillies Please.
    But if there was a DH in the NL you could have Ryan Howard at 1B and Jim Thome and DH and between them they'd hit about 100 home runs.

    Yeah, I speak for every Mets fan when I say I'm glad there is no DH in the NL.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Coatesville, PA
    Posts
    1,760
    That is actually what I was thinking come the begining, but still....I like the NL how it is...although seeing Thome and Howard belt homers would be pretty sweet....o well.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    679
    I wont vote in the actuall poll because I am an A.L. fan. But I dont think having the DH for the NL would be a good thing. I personally love the Designated hitter for the AL because I like the extra offense. But I also like watching NL games sometimes because it shows a diffrent type of small ball baseball. If the National League instituted a DH it would lose its idenity really and both leagues would be the same. If that happens they might as well join leagues and not have two diffrent leagues. So a NL DH would be a bad idea.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    1,185
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxVT92
    I wont vote in the actuall poll because I am an A.L. fan. But I dont think having the DH for the NL would be a good thing. I personally love the Designated hitter for the AL because I like the extra offense. But I also like watching NL games sometimes because it shows a diffrent type of small ball baseball. If the National League instituted a DH it would lose its idenity really and both leagues would be the same. If that happens they might as well join leagues and not have two diffrent leagues. So a NL DH would be a bad idea.
    Very true, plus when you play those sweet interleague games against the, Phillies, you like to have the Ortiz vs. Delluci DH match up, huh? LOL, can't blame you there.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,607
    Voted no for my Braves. Altough Thorman and Diaz at the same time sounds nice...
    People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. -Rogers Hornsby

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas NV
    Posts
    3,076
    ABSOLUTELY NO WAY!
    The Mets pitcher hit a HR yesterday, I have seen Nomo win a game with a HR. Let the pitcher be a part of the entire game, and make them hold a bat the way NL does it.

    Note there were 5 'yes' votes and only Go Gomes has explained why (and that was a mistake in his click). Can we have some resasoning from the NL team fans as to why they voted yes - or perhaps a couple of AL fans have slipped thru the ring :-)
    Last edited by DownUnderDodger; 07-17-2006 at 08:14 PM.
    "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

    No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

  18. #18
    never!!!!!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Long Island!
    Posts
    10,293
    Sorry; I voted before I saw the part about only NL fans being allowed to vote.

    Personally, I couldn't imagine being forced to watch a pitcher hit on a regular basis. Even when I have to suffer it in the WS or All Star game, it gives me the heeby-jeebies. Just unnatural. Instituting the DH would go a long way towards letting me pay any kind of attention to the National League... the pitchers hitting is one of the primary reasons I haven't watched a regular season National League game on TV in almost twenty years (last regular season NL game I watched, Craig Biggio was catching Nolan Ryan for the Astros), and have only watched one playoff game in that same time span (Marlins over the Giants in game 4 of the 2003 NLDS... the Red Sox were playing the A's immediately after, so I happened to catch the last six innings while I was waiting for that game to start).
    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

    Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by ElHalo
    I haven't watched a regular season National League game on TV in almost twenty years (last regular season NL game I watched, Craig Biggio was catching Nolan Ryan for the Astros), and have only watched one playoff game in that same time span
    Geez, so you're a fan only of American league baseball, not of Major league baseball. I can't imagine completely ignoring an entire league.

  21. #21
    Abner Doubleday turned over in his grave the day the DH rule was adopted.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas NV
    Posts
    3,076
    Quote Originally Posted by ElHalo
    Personally, I couldn't imagine being forced to watch a pitcher hit on a regular basis. Even when I have to suffer it in the WS or All Star game, it gives me the heeby-jeebies. Just unnatural. Instituting the DH would go a long way towards letting me pay any kind of attention to the National League... the pitchers hitting is one of the primary reasons I haven't watched a regular season National League game on TV in almost twenty years (last regular season NL game I watched, Craig Biggio was catching Nolan Ryan for the Astros), and have only watched one playoff game in that same time span (Marlins over the Giants in game 4 of the 2003 NLDS... the Red Sox were playing the A's immediately after, so I happened to catch the last six innings while I was waiting for that game to start).
    Now that is bias to the Nth degree.....not a true baseball fan then??
    "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

    No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

  23. #23
    Why stop at only one DH? Why not two or three? They could replace the two weakest-hitting fielders with "hired guns" too and then baseball could be really exciting!

    Note: The following sarcastic post was brought to you by BALCO - proud sponsers of American League Baseball since 1973.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Long Island!
    Posts
    10,293
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgerBlue81
    Geez, so you're a fan only of American league baseball, not of Major league baseball. I can't imagine completely ignoring an entire league.
    Well, yeah. Before interleague play, it really wasn't as if the two were connected in any way other than the All Star Game and the World Series. It's like a car racing fan being a fan of Formula 1 but not NASCAR... no reason that you have to watch EVERYTHING to be a fan of one or the other.
    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

    Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    679
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgerBlue81
    Abner Doubleday turned over in his grave the day the DH rule was adopted.
    I dont think Abner Doubleday played a game of baseball in his entire life.

    The Designated Hitter isnt all that bad. With it their isnt a sure out, callus in the 9 slot in the lineup. Instead IMO the DH adds more flavor to the game. Although I dont support it for the NL because like I said it would lose its idenity and once in a while I like watching that type of baseball. But I wouldnt like it if the AL got rid of the DH. Just keep it like it is.
    Last edited by RedSoxVT92; 07-17-2006 at 08:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •