Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: 6 ways to get on base without a hit?

  1. #1

    6 ways to get on base without a hit?

    There are 6 ways to get on base can you name them all. No cheating. And yes a intentionally walk and a walk are count as the same.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Long Island!
    Posts
    10,307
    There's actually seven.

    1. Dropped third strike.
    2. Walk.
    3. HBP.
    4. Error.
    5. Fielder's choice.
    6. Catcher's interference.
    7. Inserted as a pinch runner.
    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

    Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Yountville, CA (Napa Valley)
    Posts
    2,584
    Quote Originally Posted by ElHalo
    There's actually seven.

    1. Dropped third strike.
    2. Walk.
    3. HBP.
    4. Error.
    5. Fielder's choice.
    6. Catcher's interference.
    7. Inserted as a pinch runner.
    You only named four, technically speaking.

    5..You're just replacing another runner.
    6..Ditto.
    7..Catcher's interference is an error.
    1..The proper term is "Third strike not caught".


    Bob
    Last edited by bluezebra; 07-12-2006 at 08:15 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Evansville, IN, USA
    Posts
    1,111
    Quote Originally Posted by bluezebra
    You only named four, technically speaking.

    5..You're just replacing another runner.
    6..Ditto.
    7..Catcher's interference is an error.
    1..The proper term is "Third strike not caught".


    Bob
    Not arguing, just confused . . . I realize that after interfering with a batter's swing a catcher is charged with an error, but isn't that play still ruled (and marked into the scorebook) as "Catcher's Interference"? If true, then an error and CI would be two distinct and independent ways for a batter to reach base.
    "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

    "My name is Yasiel Puig. I am from Cuba. I am 21 years old. Thank you."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Westchester County, NY
    Posts
    3,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Outta Here
    Quick Question...

    Does a streak like O. Cabrera's (consecutive games reached base) still count if you get on with a F.Choice???
    no, it doesn't

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    2,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Outta Here
    Quick Question...

    Does a streak like O. Cabrera's (consecutive games reached base) still count if you get on with a F.Choice???
    A hitting streak ends when a player does not get a hit in a game he makes a plate appearance. But if he walks or sacrifice bunts or HBP, the streak will continue. A Sacrifice fly would end the streak because he was trying to get a hit. Same with a fielder's choice.
    As for Cabrera's streak, I do not know why it would not count. He did reach base. Maybe someone could expound on why it would not count on a fielder's choice.

    Welcome back ARod. Hope you are a Yankee forever.
    Phil Rizzuto-a Yankee forever.

    Holy Cow

  7. #7
    Is it July already? Seems like only a month or so since we've seen this question. Or has it been two?
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior JEDI

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Outta Here
    Quick Question...

    Does a streak like O. Cabrera's (consecutive games reached base) still count if you get on with a F.Choice???
    Does a hitting streak end if you draw walks on 3 plate appearances and a catcher's interference on the 4th? (I'd assume not if it wasn't a plate appearance).

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by soberdennis
    A hitting streak ends when a player does not get a hit in a game he makes a plate appearance. But if he walks or sacrifice bunts or HBP, the streak will continue. A Sacrifice fly would end the streak because he was trying to get a hit. Same with a fielder's choice.
    As for Cabrera's streak, I do not know why it would not count. He did reach base. Maybe someone could expound on why it would not count on a fielder's choice.
    Here's one. First, if a player is at bat when the winning run scores from 3rd, does the batter get an RBI?

    If so, there is one way to earn an RBI without a plate appearance.

    Second, if a batter is replaced in the middle of an at-bat, and has walks in all of his other at bats, would that end a hitting streak?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,605
    Quote Originally Posted by bluezebra
    You only named four, technically speaking.

    5..You're just replacing another runner.

    Bob
    You don't necessarily have to replace a runner on a fielder's choice. Say there's a runner on second and the batter hits it back to the pitcher. The pitcher tries to get the runner going to third but is too late. The batter gets to first on a fielder's choice but is not replacing a runner because the runner is safe at third.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Outta Here
    Quick Question...

    Does a streak like O. Cabrera's (consecutive games reached base) still count if you get on with a F.Choice???
    The proper term for Cabrera's streak is "reached base safely by a hit, walk, or hit by pitch". This, by explicit definition, excludes Fielder's Choice.

    From Angels website News:
    SEATTLE -- Orlando Cabrera entered Tuesday with a streak on the line.
    In the last 60 games, the Angels shortstop had reached base safely by a hit, walk or hit by pitch. Cabrera carried the suspense into the sixth inning when he hit a clean RBI single past Adrian Beltre to extend the streak to 61 games.

    While there is some uncertainty about where it ranks exactly in streaks of that nature, the Angels believe it has had a positive impact on the club.

    "On-base percentage is huge for our club and his ability to get on base during this streak has been remarkable," manager Mike Scioscia said. "It is one thing that is mostly a team-oriented goal. I know that if Orlando had a guy on base and he had a chance to move him over to sacrifice the streak, he would."

    The streak is somewhat murky. Elias Sports Bureau has Ted Williams with the Major League record of 84 straight games set in 1949. They also know that Cabrera's streak is the longest since 1960, having passed Barry Bonds' mark of 58 straight games set in 2003. But precisely where Cabrera falls behind Williams is still being researched.


    However, back to the original question, "get on base" includes fielder's choice. And Bob, if you're going to be so proper about the term for dropped third strike, you can also be more proper with reading the question. Fielder's Choice is a way of reaching base. Period. There's nothing in the question that excludes replacing another runner. It may not help your team in any way and it may even produce an out, but the question was "ways to get on base without a hit"; it doesn't matter....
    Last edited by Ribeye; 07-14-2006 at 10:25 AM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,605
    The batter is not charged an at bat on catcher's interference.

    AB - At Bats
    A batter is charged with an at-bat when he makes an out (unless credited with a sacrifice bunt or sacrifice fly), or reaches base on a base hit, on a fielding error or on a fielder's choice. A batter is not charged with an at-bat if he is credited with a walk or hit by pitch, or reaches base on catcher's interference..

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Yountville, CA (Napa Valley)
    Posts
    2,584
    Quote Originally Posted by Utter Chaos
    You don't necessarily have to replace a runner on a fielder's choice. Say there's a runner on second and the batter hits it back to the pitcher. The pitcher tries to get the runner going to third but is too late. The batter gets to first on a fielder's choice but is not replacing a runner because the runner is safe at third.
    Thank you. For some reason I didn't think of that scenario. I will lash myself with a copy of Rule 10.

    Bob

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,605
    The ways a batter can reach base without a hit depends on if you're talking about offensive scoring or defensive scoring.

    OFFENSIVE (these are all scored differently for the batter by the official scorer)
    1. Strikeout - third strike not caught
    2. Walk (including intentional)
    3. HBP
    4. Error (with a charged at bat)
    5. Catcher Interference (error with no charged at bat)
    6. Fielder's choice
    7. Sac Fly dropped by a fielder
    8. Sac Bunt with an error

    DEFENSIVE (these are all scored differently for the defense)
    1. Strikeout with a passed ball
    2. Strikeout with a wild pitch
    3. Walk (including intentional)
    4. HBP
    5. Error (includes catcher's interference, sac flies, and sac bunts)
    6. Fielders Choice

    COMBINING THE TWO YIELDS ONLY 5 WAYS FOR THE BATTER TO REACH FIRST:
    1. Strikeout
    2. Walk
    3. HBP
    4. Error
    5. Fielders Choice

    I did not inlcude pinch runner because it's ways a BATTER can reach base

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Portland, ME
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by ElHalo
    There's actually seven. . . .
    7. Inserted as a pinch runner.
    So I guess Herb Washington holds the record for most consecutive games on base?
    The ball once struck off,
    Away flies the boy
    To the next destin'd post,
    And then home with joy.
    --Anonymous, 1744

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Utter Chaos
    The ways a batter can reach base without a hit depends on if you're talking about offensive scoring or defensive scoring.

    OFFENSIVE (these are all scored differently for the batter by the official scorer)
    1. Strikeout - third strike not caught
    2. Walk (including intentional)
    3. HBP
    4. Error (with a charged at bat)
    5. Catcher Interference (error with no charged at bat)
    6. Fielder's choice
    7. Sac Fly dropped by a fielder
    8. Sac Bunt with an error

    DEFENSIVE (these are all scored differently for the defense)
    1. Strikeout with a passed ball
    2. Strikeout with a wild pitch
    3. Walk (including intentional)
    4. HBP
    5. Error (includes catcher's interference, sac flies, and sac bunts)
    6. Fielders Choice

    COMBINING THE TWO YIELDS ONLY 5 WAYS FOR THE BATTER TO REACH FIRST:
    1. Strikeout
    2. Walk
    3. HBP
    4. Error
    5. Fielders Choice

    I did not inlcude pinch runner because it's ways a BATTER can reach base
    If you reach on a sac fly when the fielder drops the ball wound that just be a err. and the same thing with the sac bunt with a err. So if that is the case there would be only 6 not 8.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Long Island!
    Posts
    10,307
    Assume a catcher boots a ball trying to pick up a bunt. If he boots the ball and is late getting to 1B, he's charged with an error. If he boots the ball but still gets the ball to 1B in time for the out, he's granted an assist. On catcher's interferance, the batter automatically gets first base. Completely different scenario.
    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

    Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

  18. #18

    9 ways to get there

    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddyvladdy
    There are 6 ways to get on base can you name them all. No cheating. And yes a intentionally walk and a walk are count as the same.
    Here you go, as explained to me several years ago: 1) Hit, 2) Walk, 3) Hit by Pitch, 4)dropped third strike, 5) error, 6)Fielder's choice, 7) catcher's interferance, 8) Fielder's interference, 9)Manager substitution.

    I have heard some say there are more, but I haven't seen them. Cheers, ADZ51

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Woodhaven ,New York
    Posts
    89
    Failure to deliever the pitch in 20 seconds?
    "Have faith in the Yankees my son. Think of the great DiMaggio."-Ernest Hemingway

  20. #20

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by jgangstahippie
    Failure to deliever the pitch in 20 seconds?
    I think that's just called a "ball" by the umpire, if and when its enforced.
    If the batter had a 3-ball count, it would amount to a walk, already covered.
    A walk is a walk, intentional or OTHERWISE, right?

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Utter Chaos
    The ways a batter can reach base without a hit depends on if you're talking about offensive scoring or defensive scoring.

    OFFENSIVE (these are all scored differently for the batter by the official scorer)
    1. Strikeout - third strike not caught
    2. Walk (including intentional)
    3. HBP
    4. Error (with a charged at bat)
    5. Catcher Interference (error with no charged at bat)
    6. Fielder's choice
    7. Sac Fly dropped by a fielder
    8. Sac Bunt with an error

    DEFENSIVE (these are all scored differently for the defense)
    1. Strikeout with a passed ball
    2. Strikeout with a wild pitch
    3. Walk (including intentional)
    4. HBP
    5. Error (includes catcher's interference, sac flies, and sac bunts)
    6. Fielders Choice

    COMBINING THE TWO YIELDS ONLY 5 WAYS FOR THE BATTER TO REACH FIRST:
    1. Strikeout
    2. Walk
    3. HBP
    4. Error
    5. Fielders Choice

    I did not inlcude pinch runner because it's ways a BATTER can reach base
    Nice of you to arbitrarily change somebody's trivia question then force feed us the correct answer.

    This question has always been asked two ways:

    1) Name the way a batter can get on base....
    2) Name the ways to get on base......

    The second one is always asked to get the pinch runner answer as the "oh yeah..." trick.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by bluezebra
    You only named four, technically speaking.

    5..You're just replacing another runner.
    6..Ditto.
    7..Catcher's interference is an error.
    1..The proper term is "Third strike not caught".


    Bob
    What does your 7. have to do with his 7. ???

    In fact your whole reply/response is goofy.

  23. #23

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by KingSwisher
    Nice of you to arbitrarily change somebody's trivia question then force feed us the correct answer.

    This question has always been asked two ways:

    1) Name the way a batter can get on base....
    2) Name the ways to get on base......

    The second one is always asked to get the pinch runner answer as the "oh yeah..." trick.
    The original question as posted:

    6 ways to get on base without a hit?
    There are 6 ways to get on base can you name them all. No cheating. And yes, an intentional walk and a walk are count as the same.

    A PB (passed ball) is actually an error by the catcher, but NOT scored thusly
    in the scorecard and/or by the official scorer. Does "Catcher's Interference"
    fall into the same category? (I don't know because I can't find an answer).

    What about defensive player and/or umpire interference with the batter/runner going toward first base?

    Re: A catcher's balk? When the pitcher is attempting to throw four balls to intentionally walk the batter
    and the catcher steps out of his box, and the umpire actually calls this.....if it's pitch # 4, it's just a walk, right?
    What if it's a pitch before that? Is the penalty only to call it a ball, or maybe to send the batter to first base then? Is that still an IW?
    (Not sure about this) ?

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Yountville, CA (Napa Valley)
    Posts
    2,584
    Quote Originally Posted by gladams20
    Here you go, as explained to me several years ago: 1) Hit, 2) Walk, 3) Hit by Pitch, 4)dropped third strike, 5) error, 6)Fielder's choice, 7) catcher's interferance, 8) Fielder's interference, 9)Manager substitution.

    I have heard some say there are more, but I haven't seen them. Cheers, ADZ51
    Fielders don't interfere, they OBSTRUCT. A substitute REPLACES a runner.He doesn't REACH base on his own.

    Bob

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Yountville, CA (Napa Valley)
    Posts
    2,584
    Quote Originally Posted by KingSwisher
    What does your 7. have to do with his 7. ???

    In fact your whole reply/response is goofy.
    Simply put (to help simple minds), an ERROR is an ERROR, is an ERROR. Whether it's charged to the catcher, or any other fielder.

    My response is only "goofy" because you can't comprehend it.

    Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •