Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardest baseball positions to play

Hardest baseball positions to play

Taking into account durability and skills required to play, I would rank the hardest baseball positions in this order.

C
    SS
    CF
    2B
    3B
    RF
    LF
    1B
    DH

Give me your list.

SS
    C
    CF
    3B
    2B
    RF
    LF (corner outfielders really depend more on the stadium for me)
    1B (but still alot of things going on that people dont realize)
    DH
    Lets Go Yankees, Valley Cats, Dutchmen, UT Spartans and ECU Pirates.

There was a thread like this just a few months ago

Quote Originally Posted by Astro
    There was a thread like this just a few months ago
    I wasnt here a few months ago...

Right, and I became a member in 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontworry
    Good call....

Just sayin theres the thread... not hard to figure out

I would rank the top five as follows:

C
    C
    C
    C
    C
    I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a Hell of an Engineer!

Taking into account durability and skills required to play, I would rank the hardest baseball positions in this order.

C
    SS
    CF
    2B
    3B
    RF
    LF
    1B
    DH

Give me your list.
    those look good. I'd put 3B ahead of 2B though.
    Yankees '09

Arod, CC, AJ, DJ and Tex

C
    CF
    SS
    LF
    RF
    3B
    1B
    2B

Pitcher is in there somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteSoxSteve
    C
    CF
    SS
    LF
    RF
    3B
    1B
    2B

I'd reverse 2B and 1B as one who played both positions, it was easier to play first and first does not require as many throws as 2B.

161st St & River Ave (by way of Northern NJ)
    Blog Entries
    It's simply a reference to a thread that was created just a few months ago. No big deal to me.

You can also look back a few pages to threads that were created several months ago. Helps to know what we've discussed here.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteSoxSteve
    C
    CF
    SS
    LF
    RF
    3B
    1B
    2B

How many double plays does a 1B (or 3B) have to make a turning throw on?
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Wow, 232 posts since January, I don't even have 100 since September 2005, lol. Posting machine Dontworry.

Anyway....

C
    SS
    CF
    3B
    2B
    RF
    LF
    1B
    DH
    "As I grew up, I knew that as a building (Fenway Park) was on the level of Mount Olympus, the Pyramid at Giza, the nation's capitol, the czar's Winter Palace, and the Louvre — except, of course, that is better than all those inconsequential places." - Bart Giamatti

You go through The Sporting News of the last 100 years and you will find two things are always true. You never have enough pitchers, and nobody ever made money.
    -Don Fehr

This is a tough one. I think the most athletically demanding one and probably most crucial one, is SS, but the one I'd least like to play and that is the toughest to play, is C. If that makes any sense?

Skill and durability

Starting Pitcher
    Long Reliever
    Pinch Hitter
    Shortstop
    Second Base
    Catcher
    Centerfield
    Third Base
    Right Field
    First Base
    Left Field

*DH is not a position, it's half of one at best
    Baseball is a ballet without music. Drama without words ~Ernie Harwell

It's obvious the DH is the most diffcult position to play in baseball!

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Legend
    those look good. I'd put 3B ahead of 2B though.
    Yea, 3b you got that hot corner. Second base you probably got about 1 sec more time to react.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthMayBond
    How many double plays does a 1B (or 3B) have to make a turning throw on?
    Well, 3rd base IMO is harder because its the hot corner. Complete distance across the diamond to throw the guy out at first. As far 2nd being harder than 1st well thats a tough one. First base you gotta be able to scoop balls out of the dirt while a runner is coming towards you.

Also, I'm not sure but are there more right handed hitters versus left? It was when I always played. For a right handed hitter to hit a ball towards the second baseman usually means they swung a little late which means the ball wont go as fast as if a right handed hitter smacked one to short stop. Plus, second is a short throw usually.

Quote Originally Posted by DodgerBlue8188
    Yea, 3b you got that hot corner. Second base you probably got about 1 sec more time to react.
    No, it's a fraction of a second, and how many balls come to 3B vs. 2B?
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Well, 3rd base IMO is harder because its the hot corner. Complete distance across the diamond to throw the guy out at first. As far 2nd being harder than 1st well thats a tough one. First base you gotta be able to scoop balls out of the dirt while a runner is coming towards you.
    But why do fielders as they get worse move from 2nd to 1st and not the other way?

Quote Originally Posted by trosmok
    Starting Pitcher
    Long Reliever
    Pinch Hitter
    Shortstop
    Second Base
    Catcher
    Centerfield
    Third Base
    Right Field
    First Base
    Left Field

*DH is not a position, it's half of one at best
    Ooh ,where to begin

No, it's a fraction of a second, and how many balls come to 3B vs. 2B?

More balls coming to 2b is even more reason why I think 3b is harder. Not only is it the hot corner but you can go innings without getting any play and then BAM you have a hard hit shot right at you. Being cold for so long then having to make a tough play. 2nd base you have more oportunities which means you will make more errors, but you wont fall asleep waiting for balls to be hit to you.

Thats just my opinion from playing third. I'd go 3-4 innings sometimes without getting any balls hit to me and you dont literally fall asleep but you go a long time without any action. 2nd base between the double plays and regular ground balls you'll usually get action every inning that keeps you on your toes. Biggest factor is you have so much more space to play the hop.
    At third you really cant charge a hard hit ball, as you can a little at second (being so much farther back). Thats my opinion, probably baised since I played third. But to me 2nd is easier.
    Last edited by DodgerBlue8188; 02-21-2006 at 10:48 AM.

But why do fielders as they get worse move from 2nd to 1st and not the other way?
    Physical ability def. I guess thats a good point that you brough up. Most 2nd baseman could probably play 1st, but not the other way around. You cant take Pujols and put him at 2nd, or Mark McGwire. But you could take Roberto Alomar and probably get a decent first baseman from him. I just didnt like first because of the balls in the dirt. I'd rather play 2nd than first.

More balls coming to 2b is even more reason why I think 3b is harder. Not only is it the hot corner but you can go innings without getting any play and then BAM you have a hard hit shot right at you. Being cold for so long then having to make a tough play. 2nd base you have more oportunities which means you will make more errors, but you stay wont fall asleep waiting for balls to be hit to you.

Thats just my opinion from playing third. I'd go 3-4 innings sometimes without getting any balls hit to me and you dont literally fall asleep but you go a long time without any action. 2nd base between the double plays and regular ground balls you'll usually get action every inning that keeps you on your toes.
    That would make catchers the easiest (in on almost every pitch), and CF easier than the fewer balls at the corner OF

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast