Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was Jackie Robinson ever hit in the face by a pitched Ball?

Was Jackie Robinson ever hit in the face by a pitched Ball?

The trailer for 42 shows Jackie Robinson being hit in the face by a pitched ball. Did this ever actually happen?

I never heard of it happening. But it is Hollywood, maybe that leaves a better impact to those viewing.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

I never heard about such an incident, and I've probably read every word ever published about Robinson. I expect a lot of embellishment and inaccuracy. I don't know why they think they need to embellish, but I expect it. Hell, they made Abraham Lincoln a vampire hunter, for God''s sake.
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

Exactly. The need to embellish what is already a great story is Hollywood. Lincoln, Genghis Khan, Babe Ruth, Jackie Robinson, The Tuskegee Airmen, etc.

Hollywood just doesn't think real people are interesting enough without changing the facts.

Come on they treated Optimus okay----

Waiting for the Kaline story starring Jack Black.

Quote Originally Posted by TomBodet View Post

No, no and no.

Hollywood did not make Abraham Lincoln a vampire hunter. Some novelist did after another author turned a couple of Jane Austen's works into horror stories. The movie came from that.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    I never heard of it happening. But it is Hollywood, maybe that leaves a better impact to those viewing.
    Just more Hollywood BS. The problem is, most baseball fans know it never happened but the general public will believe it.
    Hollywood has screwed up more bio type movies and will continue to do so.

Goodman, Ruth movie................Babe hits a home run, trots to first base and a pinch runner finishes the home run trot to home.
    They really reached on that one, even the casual baseball fan probably didn't buy that one..

Quote Originally Posted by TomBodet View Post

I can see JB playing Stormin Norman Cash...
    "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
    Just more Hollywood BS. The problem is, most baseball fans know it never happened but the general public will believe it.
    Hollywood has screwed up more bio type movies and will continue to do so.

Goodman, Ruth movie................Babe hits a home run, trots to first base and a pinch runner finishes the home run trot to home.
    They really reached on that one, even the casual baseball fan probably didn't buy that one..
    Plus they showed Babe as being a fat kid...how many kids are going to be fat growing up in a orphanage/reform school?
    "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Dude Paskert View Post
    Plus they showed Babe as being a fat kid...how many kids are going to be fat growing up in a orphanage/reform school?
    They had to show him as a fat kid. It made it easier to take that he looked like a fat 40-year-old when he was 22.

Anything else in the Robinson trailer that's suspect? Without context of the play in the movie, I'm not going to judge the scene too harshly until I see it.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

it might've happened at UCLA or at Montreal.

A director's job is to convey emotions of a the events surrounding a movie, fictional or not. Literature has an advantage because it can use pages and pages of language to set up or support motifs, themes, character development, and plot progression. A director of a drama film such as this strives for the same goals within the confines of the film's run time.

In the trailer, Jackie gets a pitch to the face twice. Dodging the first one, Jackie quips, "I'll duck" when the reporter asks what will happen if thrown at the head. This shows Jackie's country boy confidence. Playing the white boys isn't any different than the game he's played all his life. If someone throws a heat-seeker, he's going to move. Plain and simple.

The second pitch to face hits him. Jackie topples over instantly. Did this really happen? It doesn't matter because it's used as a tool to to convey the tension brought about by the integration. The film doesn't have time to describe every instance of abuse Jackie faced. It's only going to use a few major ones, fictional or not, to demonstrate the adversity he faced by racist fans and players. Headhunting during a game is a perfect way of conveying the sad reality that some believed Jackie didn't belong in the game because of his color.

Regardless of how movie's overall critical reception, I can definitely see the Chadwick Boseman (Jackie) and/or Harrison Ford (Branch Rickey) taking home Best Actor and/or Best Supporting Actor, respectively, if they play the role(s) well enough. It's just the type of movie the Academy looks for acting performances. Based on the trailer it seems Ford will do a great job as Branch. Boseman looks pretty good but he definitely doesn't have Jackie's voice.

The awful rap song at the end of the trailer is inappropriate. You can tell they asked a rapper to make a song, which he did a terrible job, just to connect present-day Blacks to those in Jackie's day. But the score is so unfitting for a movie like this that it made me cringe. The main medley ought to be a jazzy, big-band swing without lyrics.
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
    A director's job is to convey emotions of a the events surrounding a movie, fictional or not. Literature has an advantage because it can use pages and pages of language to set up or support motifs, themes, character development, and plot progression. A director of a drama film such as this strives for the same goals within the confines of the film's run time.

In the trailer, Jackie gets a pitch to the face twice. Dodging the first one, Jackie quips, "I'll duck" when the reporter asks what will happen if thrown at the head. This shows Jackie's country boy confidence. Playing the white boys isn't any different than the game he's played all his life. If someone throws a heat-seeker, he's going to move. Plain and simple.

The second pitch to face hits him. Jackie topples over instantly. Did this really happen? It doesn't matter because it's used as a tool to to convey the tension brought about by the integration. The film doesn't have time to describe every instance of abuse Jackie faced. It's only going to use a few major ones, fictional or not, to demonstrate the adversity he faced by racist fans and players. Headhunting during a game is a perfect way of conveying the sad reality that some believed Jackie didn't belong in the game because of his color.

Regardless of how movie's overall critical reception, I can definitely see the Chadwick Boseman (Jackie) and/or Harrison Ford (Branch Rickey) taking home Best Actor and/or Best Supporting Actor, respectively, if they play the role(s) well enough. It's just the type of movie the Academy looks for acting performances. Based on the trailer it seems Ford will do a great job as Branch. Boseman looks pretty good but he definitely doesn't have Jackie's voice.

The awful rap song at the end of the trailer is inappropriate. You can tell they asked a rapper to make a song, which he did a terrible job, just to connect present-day Blacks to those in Jackie's day. But the score is so unfitting for a movie like this that it made me cringe. The main medley ought to be a jazzy, big-band swing without lyrics.
    Come on, thats overboard, getting hit by a pitch and getting hit in the face is a whole different show.
    And if I read you correcty..... they tried to hit him in the face twice. You don't have to pretend hitting Jackie in the face to get the message across, name calling and other events that he endured in his career gives the viewer the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
    Come on, thats overboard, getting hit by a pitch and getting hit in the face is a whole different show.
    And if I read you correcty..... they tried to hit him in the face twice. You don't have to pretend hitting Jackie in the face to get the message across, name calling and other events that he endured in his career gives the viewer the picture.
    Nothing brings the message home like physical abuse. There is no better way of highlighting it on field than being hit in the face. And I don't think going from a hit by a pitch in the torso to being hit in the face is much of a stretch. The movie has to make money and will look to appeal to the widest audience possible. Not everyone who is going to see it will be a baseball historian.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
    They had to show him as a fat kid. It made it easier to take that he looked like a fat 40-year-old when he was 22.

Anything else in the Robinson trailer that's suspect? Without context of the play in the movie, I'm not going to judge the scene too harshly until I see it.
    Bingo! No one has seen the movie but the BBF party poopers just want to trash the movie. And for the record Robinson was NOT hit in the face in the trailer. He was hit on the side of the head. The ball clearly hit Robinson on hat so he couldn't have been hit in the face.

Jackie Robinson HBP.JPG
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Good commentary.

Just from what I've seen Ford at looks like he took this role very seriously. He even looks like Rickey.

Actually this rap song is over four years old, released on December 1, 2008. It's called Brooklyn Go Hard by Jay-Z. I like the song, though I agree it's inappropriate for this movie. They should have used contemporary music of 1947.

Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

I checked the 1947 boxscores. Robinson was HBP nine times that season, four times by Pirates' pitchers.

May 17, 1947 @ Pittsburgh

June 3, 1947 @ Brooklyn

July 15, 1947 @ Brooklyn

August 25, 1947 @ Brooklyn

In the trailer Robinson is wearing the Brooklyn road uniform so that would mean only the May 17 game could be the game. Robinson was HBP in the first inning by Fritz Ostermueller. This was Ostermueller's only time he hit a batter all season. From Sports Illustrated, May 5, 1997:

Pittsburgh was the warmest port Robinson had been in yet. On May 16 he went 2 for 4 in a 3-1 Dodgers victory over the Pirates, and the next day he stroked two more singles in a 4-0 loss, extending his hitting streak to 14 games and raising his batting average to .299. More important, Robinson could feel his teammates circling closer around him. On May 17, when Pittsburgh pitcher Fritz Ostermueller nearly beaned him with a rising fastball—it struck Robinson's arm as he jerked it up to shield his head—the Dodgers in the dugout rose to their feet, gathered on the steps and peppered Ostermueller with threats and profanity. In the May 24 Pittsburgh Courier, Robinson's closest friend among the writers, Wendell Smith, wrote, "It was then that they displayed, probably for the first time, that they regard him as one of them."

SOURCE
    According to robinson, Pirates #B, Frankie Gustin told him that Ostermueller didn't hit him on purpose.

Jackie Robinson HBP 1.JPG

SOURCE (page 19)

Assuming that is suposed to be Fritz Ostermueller in the trailer they did screw one thing up. Ostermueller was a lefty!

Here's some detail of Fritz Ostermueller beaning Robinson.

http://arkyvaughan.blogspot.com/2012...2-trailer.html
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 03-18-2013 at 11:19 AM.

. This shows Jackie's country boy confidence. .
    Why would a non-country boy be showing country boy confidence?

Harrison Ford as Branch Rickey seems like terrible miscasting to me. I think he would have better as Kindly Old Burt Shotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    Actually this rap song is over four years old, released on December 1, 2008. It's called Brooklyn Go Hard by Jay-Z. I like the song, though I agree it's inappropriate for this movie. They should have used contemporary music of 1947.
    I stand corrected. That didn't sound like Jay-Z, but I'm not huge on rap. And of the rap I do listen to I don't like Jay-Z.

My curiosity now shifts to the decision to cast Chris Meloni as Leo the Lip. Doesn't jive with me but I'll give him a chance. The actress who will play Jackie's widow looks good, though.

I'll stop before I force this thread into the Movies & Literature forum. Other than a notable color blind friendship with Jackie, did Pee Wee Reese have any other impact on Jackie's life? As middle infield mates, did either adopt anything from each other? Did they maintain a close friendship after retirement?

Quote Originally Posted by EdTarbusz View Post
    Why would a non-country boy be showing country boy confidence?
    Gives the "Boys of Summer" feel to a time more noted for it

Gives the "Boys of Summer" feel to a time more noted for it
    Except that none of the Boys of Summer were country boys.

Quote Originally Posted by EdTarbusz View Post
    Except that none of the Boys of Summer were country boys.
    Well, Preacher Roe was from a little village in northern Arkansas, and Bily Cox was from a little village in central Pa.- they might qualify as "country boys".

Quote Originally Posted by BigRon View Post
    Well, Preacher Roe was from a little village in northern Arkansas, and Bily Cox was from a little village in central Pa.- they might qualify as "country boys".
    Little village is not the same as country. I lived in a little village in Alabama and it was not country.

Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    Bingo! No one has seen the movie but the BBF party poopers just want to trash the movie. And for the record Robinson was NOT hit in the face in the trailer. He was hit on the side of the head. The ball clearly hit Robinson on hat so he couldn't have been hit in the face.

Jackie Robinson HBP.JPG
    Not party pooping here HWR, I did not see the trailer.
    I was replying to what others said they saw in the traler.

Nothing brings the message home like physical abuse. There is no better way of highlighting it on field than being hit in the face. And I don't think going from a hit by a pitch in the torso to being hit in the face is much of a stretch. The movie has to make money and will look to appeal to the widest audience possible. Not everyone who is going to see it will be a baseball historian.
    Your kidding, not much difference getting hit in the face or head compared lower body.
    In all the years you watched this game, how many times have you seen a batter hit in the face or even the head compared to the body.
    Does Hollywood want to paint the white MLB players as wanting to seriously injure Jackie, maybe kill him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast