Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56

Thread: The Yankees and facial hair

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    1,359

    The Yankees and facial hair

    Isn't it time that the Yankees get with the times on things like this? Or do you think (c'mon, I know you're out there) facial hair and tattoos are another step down the anarchy ladder? I bring this up because I'm watching Johnny Cueto pitch, with his dreadlocks, and my mind got to wandering back to the days when the Reds were an aberration in the league with their insistence on black shoes, low stirrups, and no facial hair. I didn't care about it at the time because I was young and unable to grow facial hair. I would have undoubtedly seen it in a different light had I been older, perhaps been more of an A's fan, but it didn't click with me at the time.

    I'm all for looking the way you want to look, by the way. It's just a matter of time before something like this gets brought up in the negotiations with the player's union, I believe.
    smoker

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    4,391
    I don't see why an employer can't require it's employees to conform to a appearance code.
    San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Rockland County, NY
    Posts
    12,420
    Blog Entries
    1
    I may be in the minority. But as a Yankees fan, I really like this rule.

  4. #4
    I don't see anything wrong with encouraging ballplayers to take pride in their appearance. It can hardly hurt a team's image to have clean-cut players.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    1,359
    How does taking pride in your appearance have anything to do with not having facial hair? Rollie Fingers famously didn't want to go to the Reds specifically because he took pride in his appearance.
    smoker

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Posts
    5,748
    A lot of facial hairstyles look ridiculous to me. I don't see any problem with the Yankees banning it.

  7. #7
    I remember the Mets had this policy in 2005, when former Yankee Willie Randolph became manager. I thought Mike Piazza looked much younger without facial hair.

    If it says anything though, Piazza the next year went to San Diego with a goatee and longer hair. And guess what happened? He had his best season in 4-5 years!

    I see nothing wrong with facial hair. The ballplayers are adults - let them look how they want.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Rockland County, NY
    Posts
    12,420
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by redban View Post

    I see nothing wrong with facial hair. The ballplayers are adults - let them look how they want.
    Adults who are being paid a fortune by the corporations that they work for. I'm just imagining what would happen if I showed up to work in shorts and flip-flops tomorrow and tried to give my boss the "I'm an adult - let me look how I want!" argument.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    Adults who are being paid a fortune by the corporations that they work for. I'm just imagining what would happen if I showed up to work in shorts and flip-flops tomorrow and tried to give my boss the "I'm an adult - let me look how I want!" argument.
    And adults who generate a fortune for the corporations that they work for, as well.

    It's a fair trade-off; let the players have beards if they want.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    1,359
    Is that what the argument is? Showing up in a shirt and flip-flops? The more the Yankees try and align themselves with corporate culture, the more people who enjoy that sort of thing will like them, I guess.
    smoker

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Rockland County, NY
    Posts
    12,420
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by redban View Post
    And adults who generate a fortune for the corporations that they work for, as well.

    It's a fair trade-off; let the players have beards if they want.
    Fair point, but you didn't address the second part of my post.

    I generate a lot of revenue for the company I work for too.

    Nevertheless, I don't fault my bosses for expecting me to conduct myself in a professional manner and represent the company I work for with class and professionalism. I applaud the Yankees for this policy. I don't pay $100+ dollars to attend a game and watch a bunch of thugs in dreadlocks, beards, and corn rows.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by redban View Post
    I remember the Mets had this policy in 2005, when former Yankee Willie Randolph became manager. I thought Mike Piazza looked much younger without facial hair.

    If it says anything though, Piazza the next year went to San Diego with a goatee and longer hair. And guess what happened? He had his best season in 4-5 years!

    I see nothing wrong with facial hair. The ballplayers are adults - let them look how they want.
    I know Piazza has the cloud of suspicion hanging over him with steriods, but you are seriously implying his numbers spiked because he was unrestricted in his grooming habits?

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJRogers View Post
    I know Piazza has the cloud of suspicion hanging over him with steriods, but you are seriously implying his numbers spiked because he was unrestricted in his grooming habits?
    It was a joke .. no, I was not implying Piazza's numbers spiked because he let his hair and beard grow.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Rockland County, NY
    Posts
    12,420
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJRogers View Post
    I know Piazza has the cloud of suspicion hanging over him with steriods, but you are seriously implying his numbers spiked because he was unrestricted in his grooming habits?
    The lasting memory of Piazza that I'll have is that as far as I know he's the only MLB player to hold a press conference to announce that he's not gay. That was priceless.

  15. #15
    The Yankee$' ridiculous rule about facial hair is just another reason in a long list of why I hate 'em. I thought that rule would have died off with Steinbrenner, but I guess not.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Rockland County, NY
    Posts
    12,420
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by 9&10 View Post
    The Yankee$' ridiculous rule about facial hair is just another reason in a long list of why I hate 'em. I thought that rule would have died off with Steinbrenner, but I guess not.
    Of all things, why is this a reason to hate the Yankees?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    21,893
    Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    The lasting memory of Piazza that I'll have is that as far as I know he's the only MLB player to hold a press conference to announce that he's not gay. That was priceless.
    I've always wondered how many gay men have played in the majors? Only two former gay major leaguers have ever openly admitted it.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    1,359
    Perhaps we're going about this the wrong way. What I meant to imply was that beards and long hair (hey, women are allowed half of that) are not uncommon. Nothing about thugs was implied. But I do know this is EXACTLY what we're talking about. Now. Anyway... what do you think about male facial hair in the work place?
    smoker

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Rockland County, NY
    Posts
    12,420
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by riverfrontier View Post
    Perhaps we're going about this the wrong way. What I meant to imply was that beards and long hair (hey, women are allowed half of that) are not uncommon. Nothing about thugs was implied. But I do know this is EXACTLY what we're talking about. Now. Anyway... what do you think about male facial hair in the work place?
    It depends on the type of facial hair. A neatly trimmed beard or goatee doesn't bother me. Long hair and dreadlocks are a definite no-go as are a Brian Wilson or James Harden (NBA) style "look at me, I'm a clown" type of beard. Even the Marlins made Jose Reyes cut his hair...It's not only the Yankees.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    1,359
    So a neatly trimmed beard doesn't bother you. Ok. Does long hair or dreadlocks on women bother you? Neither here nor there, but I'm certain it does. Anyway, yeah. Neatly trimmed facial hair is not allowed on the Yankees. Someday it will be.
    smoker

  21. #21
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Rockland County, NY
    Posts
    12,420
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by riverfrontier View Post
    So a neatly trimmed beard doesn't bother you. Ok. Does long hair or dreadlocks on women bother you? Neither here nor there, but I'm certain it does. Anyway, yeah. Neatly trimmed facial hair is not allowed on the Yankees. Someday it will be.
    It doesn't bother me in general. A lot of my best friends have long hair and/or long beards. I'm just trying to say that I don't fault a company setting certain standards of appearance for its employees. If a player doesn't like it, he can go play for the Red Sox instead. No one is forcing him to play for the Yankees.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    5,458
    Blog Entries
    4
    The Yankees have a lonnng historical tradition of their players and managers being well-groomed (i.e., no long hair, no bold facial hair, etc.). I recall a mustache here or there in the past, and I'm not quite sure how they get around the tattoo thing these days but regardless, this clean-cut tradition goes back to their days before they won even their first WS title.

    It's not about catching up with the times. It's about remaining true to tradition.
    Put it in the books.

  23. #23
    Image is part of branding. One reason the Yankees are so successful is because they've established their brand as one that represents class (some might disagree, but at least that's the outward depiction). A group like the 1993 Phillies could be scruffy and unkempt because they were representing rough and tumble Philadelphia, and the Phillie brand doesn't have a national reputation. The Yankees, on the other hand, are the team of high society New York, so they have appearances to keep up. It may seem like a hassle over something minor, but small things can make a big difference when you're selling a product.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Rockland County, NY
    Posts
    12,420
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by milladrive View Post
    The Yankees have a lonnng historical tradition of their players and managers being well-groomed (i.e., no long hair, no bold facial hair, etc.). I recall a mustache here or there in the past, and I'm not quite sure how they get around the tattoo thing these days but regardless, this clean-cut tradition goes back to their days before they won even their first WS title.

    It's not about catching up with the times. It's about remaining true to tradition.
    7-21-ae-reading-gamble.jpg
    .....

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Posts
    5,748
    Oscar Gamble never had the afro with the Yankees. I remember reading about how his wife cried when he got it cut before reporting to New York.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •