Thread: Loisville Slugger Ultimate Pitching Machine 75

Louisville Slugger Ultimate Pitching Machine 75

I own and have been using a Louisville Slugger UPM 45 pitching machine with wiffle balls at a close distance for my 13 year old son. I have been thinking about getting the UPM 75 pitching machine so that I can pitch actual baseballs (up to 75 mph) at the actual pitching distance of 60' 6". I have read a lot about these machines, but I have seen no reviews or comments from people who actually own one. I would appreciate any feedback on these machines.

Regards,
    Last edited by FredLGibsonJr; 06-14-2011 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FredLGibsonJr View Post
    I own and have been using a Louisville Slugger UPM 45 pitching machine with wiffle balls at a close distance for my 13 year old son. I have been thinking about getting the UPM 75 pitching machine so that I can pitch actual baseballs (up to 75 mph) at the actual pitching distance of 60' 6". I have read a lot about these machines, but I have seen no reviews or comments from people who actually own one. I would appreciate any feedback on these machines.

Regards,
    I thought about getting one a while back, but it seems fairly expensive compared to the UPM 45. I would also be interested in some reviews. It looks like it may be hard to operate this machine from behind a screen.

Here is a video for those interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjYXbdG-ahI

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Pitch.../dp/B004TY7DY4
    Last edited by cps; 06-15-2011 at 09:33 AM. Reason: spelling/detail

There is also a UPMV pitching machine that only throws up to 70 MPH. When you zoom on the picture at Amazon, it has UPM 75 on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Louisville-Slu...ef=pd_sbs_sg_2

Supposedly you can purchase a heavier spring for the UPM 45 which allows it to pitch up to 65. Anyone have experience with going this route?

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
    Supposedly you can purchase a heavier spring for the UPM 45 which allows it to pitch up to 65. Anyone have experience with going this route?
    I haven’t….The thing I like about the UPM 75 is that it appears that the machine will have a higher release point than the UPM 45. I think this could be an advantage for older kids as it would produce a more realistic angle.

Quote Originally Posted by cps View Post
    I haven’t….The thing I like about the UPM 75 is that it appears that the machine will have a higher release point than the UPM 45. I think this could be an advantage for older kids as it would produce a more realistic angle.
    The higher release point is one of the reasons that I like the UPM 75 as well. I was even thinking about mounting the UPM 45 on something higher to improve the angle. However, we definitely need more speed though. I also like how you are supposedly able to reduce speed as much as 20 mph just with a simple adjustment unseen by the batter (not sure how that works). On top of that I like the idea of being able to shoot out lots of long fly balls and hard grounders. I think a few of us are hoping to get some additional feedback from someone who has actually used it.
    Regards,

We have the UPM 45. Do you guys move your machines in a little closer?
    That is what I do when I use ours.
    I never heard about the spring option. I am going to look into that option.
    Just a baseball layman trying to make sense of it all...

I am not confident the UPM 45 is engineered for a more 'powerful' spring.

For a bit more speed with the UPM 45 you can use tennis balls.

I'm wondering if we can launch water balloons.

Quote Originally Posted by trademark View Post
    We have the UPM 45. Do you guys move your machines in a little closer?
    That is what I do when I use ours.
    I never heard about the spring option. I am going to look into that option.
    Yes, just get closer. Attached is a pdf that has comparable speeds from different distances. They will be comparable as the batter will have the same reaction time for each column of a row in the sheet. For example, a 70.35 mph pitch released at 56 feet (approximate release point of a pitch from a 60.5 ft mound) will have the same reaction time as a pitch released at 36 feet with a speed of 45 mph. Therefore, if you set the machine up at 36 feet and 45 mph, you will get about the same reaction time as a pitcher on the mound throwing 70 mph and releasing the ball at 56 feet. FYI, The 60.5 column will never really need to be used as a pitcher does not release from 60.5 feet.

ComparableballSpeed.pdf
    Last edited by cps; 06-18-2011 at 04:51 PM. Reason: update attachment

I have been using the UPM45 since my son was 11- great machine. Throws strikes (I use Jugs yellow dimpled balls), and I have had to replace the spring after about a year. Now my son is 14, I have bumped the speed to max and have moved in closer too the plate. But I was thinking that there must be a way to get the machine to throw a bit faster.

So I added a second spring- it is the one with the smaller diameter in the pictures. It probably added about 5mph to the pitch. The way the machine works is you first rotate the arm to under the 'catch' on the release arm, than you step on the foot lever to get power from the big spring. My addition increased the force needed to rotate it to 'catch' , but does not increase the 'step force' on the foot lever.

This took a bit of work, and I am not sure it was worth it for 5mph. And looking at the bending induced in the throwing arm, I don't thing the structure of the machine can be pushed any further.

I also added that wooden 2x2 step- easier to press down lever with this.

The 75 mph version looks great- the price however does not!

A couple of you have mentioned the high cost of the UPM 75, which I agree is high, but on the other hand much less expensive than some of the other options. One thing I have noticed is that the UPM 45 keeps its resale value, I have seen on ebay where used ones consistently sell at fairly high prices. That is one reason I was hoping to get some first hand feedback on the UPM 75, my thoughts being that if it was of similar quality of the UPM 45, it would have a good chance of having a high resale value like the UPM 45.

Regards,
    Last edited by FredLGibsonJr; 06-20-2011 at 07:21 AM.

Actually searching around the internet I see you can get the UPM 75 for under $500 delivered. Not as much as I first thought. Glad you brought this machine to a topic Fred- I did not know it existred.

Hopefully someone that owns it will comment. I wonder how easy it is to push down that lever to load it.

I ended up purchasing the UPM 75, and so far so good. I would say it pitches well, but with some variation. I would suggest buying a couple dozen balls of the same exact type to reduce variation on pitches. It is great for fielding too, I shot my son 48 fly balls last night and could basically pinpoint where I wanted them to go. When you shoot out fly balls it really catches peoples attention by how far and how high it can shoot them. If anybody needs some advice on this machine please let me know.

Regards,

Fred,

For the UPM 45 I bought yellow dimpled Jugs BP balls to give repeatable (accurate) pitches. Even when I started with a same batch of real balls they change over time (due to hitting or landing in puddles!). You may want to consider them.

How difficult is it to 'load' the machine prior to the pitch? Is it compact enough to transport in the back of a van, or a car trunk?

Good luck with it!

Spend the money on a portable L-screen and a tanner tee instead. We use the L screen at half-distance and I throw overhand to produce the fast reaction times needed for heaters at 60'. Then we put it even closer and I do front toss. The benefit of front toss is you can easily work on holes in the swing and still make them react quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by SwingIt View Post
    Fred,

For the UPM 45 I bought yellow dimpled Jugs BP balls to give repeatable (accurate) pitches. Even when I started with a same batch of real balls they change over time (due to hitting or landing in puddles!). You may want to consider them.

How difficult is it to 'load' the machine prior to the pitch? Is it compact enough to transport in the back of a van, or a car trunk?

Good luck with it!
    It is pretty easy to load and I transport it in my minivan. You wouldn't want to carry it a long way, but for me it is really no problem to carry.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by bballdad175 View Post
    Spend the money on a portable L-screen and a tanner tee instead. We use the L screen at half-distance and I throw overhand to produce the fast reaction times needed for heaters at 60'. Then we put it even closer and I do front toss. The benefit of front toss is you can easily work on holes in the swing and still make them react quickly.
    An L-screen would be a good idea even with the UPM75 at 60'6", I prefer the new lightweight Rawlings compact batting tee over a tanner tee, my son carries it right in his bag and you can set it up in seconds. We do all the toss drills you can think of, but nothing really replicates the higher speed pitches that you can get with the UPM75, unless you can have someone pitch at that speed with good control, which of course would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by FredLGibsonJr View Post
    I ended up purchasing the UPM 75, and so far so good. I would say it pitches well, but with some variation. I would suggest buying a couple dozen balls of the same exact type to reduce variation on pitches. It is great for fielding too, I shot my son 48 fly balls last night and could basically pinpoint where I wanted them to go. When you shoot out fly balls it really catches peoples attention by how far and how high it can shoot them. If anybody needs some advice on this machine please let me know.

Regards,
    Glad to hear it is working out.....I am tempted to get one for my son.

Resurrecting this old thread because I came across it doing my UPM 45 research and from the gamemaster site saw the UPM 70 is being sold at 55% off as part of "inventory selloff" over at http://sluggertraining.com/. That makes it $225.

Quote Originally Posted by catwood2 View Post
    Resurrecting this old thread because I came across it doing my UPM 45 research and from the gamemaster site saw the UPM 70 is being sold at 55% off as part of "inventory selloff" over at http://sluggertraining.com/. That makes it $225.

That is a great price....might be tempted, but my son may retire from baseball to concentrate solely on football.....so, I am not going to load up on baseball equipment right now.

Quote Originally Posted by bballdad175 View Post
    Just wondering what distance you typically do the front toss from? I've often wondered if there is a specific recomended distance. thanks

Whatever happened to the UPM75? I don't think it is sold anymore and you can't even find used ones on Ebay.

Does anyone have any experience with it?

I would like to know if it has a stronger spring that could be used on the UPM 45 to make it throw a little faster. You can still find UPM75 replacement springs.