Thread: letter to college coach

letter to college coach

i am a juco player in the 2nd year and am starting to email college coaches for next year. what should this letter include and should i send it to the head coach or one of the assistants?

Blog Entries
    I recommend you contact the head coach.

Several keys - The way in which you present yourself is critical, they get hundreds of letters and contacts. Make certain the letter is a college level correspondence. Have someone review as any mistakes will be detrimental to your cause. When citing your accomplishments list your grades (Hopefully they are good), work history and the highlights of your baseball career to date. Be succinct in all your descriptions. Make some films available and either offer to Email them or place them on YouTube and provide links. Have someone review the tapes first, some are more helpful than others. There are several posters here that can help with this (if you go this route PM me for their names). Then I would offer the coach that more information is available at his request. Follow up with a phone call that is also professional and succinct. Be persistent but not annoying... there's a fine line.

Hope this helps.
    Jake
    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
    - John Cotton Dana (18561929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

There've been a couple of good threads recently about getting noticed by college teams; you should look for them. From them, I wrote down the URLs of three websites that were listed by others as being helpful. They are:

http://www.berecruited.com/
    http://www.hsbaseballweb.com/
    http://www.recruitingrealities.com/

Blog Entries
    In addition to contacting the head coach you want to contact the assistant coach in charge of recruiting. If you're a pitcher you should also contact the pitching coach. No program is going to be upset you contacted too many of their coaches. A website that specializes in college ball placement is hsbaseballweb.com. There are plenty of experienced coaches and parents whose sons started at a JuCo and moved on to a four year program.

Also, just as a "heads up" . . . if you have a "Myspace" or "Facebook" page, make sure that there is nothing on them that might give a college coach a "fright" if they were to read it . . . more and more coaches are heading to those sites to get an "inside" look at the type of player they may be recruiting.

Ursa has already given you some good sites to review for your letter, so no need for me to repeat that . . .

Best of luck to you,
    mud -

They look at videos,too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Patterson View Post
    I recommend you contact the head coach.

Several keys - The way in which you present yourself is critical, they get hundreds of letters and contacts. Make certain the letter is a college level correspondence. Have someone review as any mistakes will be detrimental to your cause. When citing your accomplishments list your grades (Hopefully they are good), work history and the highlights of your baseball career to date. Be succinct in all your descriptions. Make some films available and either offer to Email them or place them on YouTube and provide links. Have someone review the tapes first, some are more helpful than others. There are several posters here that can help with this (if you go this route PM me for their names). Then I would offer the coach that more information is available at his request. Follow up with a phone call that is also professional and succinct. Be persistent but not annoying... there's a fine line.

Hope this helps.
    Jake
    Well said.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mudvnine View Post
    Also, just as a "heads up" . . . if you have a "Myspace" or "Facebook" page, make sure that there is nothing on them that might give a college coach a "fright" if they were to read it . . . more and more coaches are heading to those sites to get an "inside" look at the type of player they may be recruiting.-
    Mud Great advice!

In your correspondance ensure the following are adressed:

1. How you will be an asset to the program
    2. How important it is to you to surround yourself with "quality people."
    3. How you will be loyal to the program and the coaching staff
    4. How important academic achievement is to you and how this university's academic offerings are a good fit for your goals
    5. How you embody "excellence." What sets you apart from the rest.
    6. What qualities there are you see in the program that attract you to it, such as values, hard-work, dedication, perseverance.
    7. How you have continually imporoved and that you plan to continually improve

From what I see, many college coaches are very proud of both landing their positions and keeping them. What got them there? These coaches are all "building something." You want to be apart of that contruction process. You've got something to offer and so does that coaching staff. Coaches are looking for kids that are coachable and hard working that will take care of their busienss on and off the field and in the classroom and who will represent the university, their division, and the NCAA with class.

Social networking sites like facebook, etc. can be a distraction to the process. Best to shut them down and/or just keep it geared towards family and family values.

Visit area univeristy show cases, camps, and clinics. Done right, this is an excellent way to get you noticed. At these events have mom/dad videotape your performances. Then take note of who was there! Then, you can selectively target those coaches who saw you work out by sending a letter of introuduction along with your high-lights from baseball in general and specifically what you did well in that camp. It will help to turn on the light bulb.
    Last edited by Rajun Cajun; 10-03-2010 at 06:14 AM.

thanks for the help guys. some coaches have asked for video of my abilities. what should i include in this video. i am a 1b/3b.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by baseballman21 View Post
    thanks for the help guys. some coaches have asked for video of my abilities. what should i include in this video. i am a 1b/3b.
    Whatever it is I would have another pair of eyes, preferably someone who has eitehr coached college or a HS coach who has worked with college coaches... There are a few here.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Patterson View Post
    Whatever it is I would have another pair of eyes, preferably someone who has eitehr coached college or a HS coach who has worked with college coaches... There are a few here.
    Jake
    I second that. Everything should be "proofed". Your Cover letter, letters of recommendation, videos of hitting and defense, resume' if you have one; the whole package should be proofed.

Quote Originally Posted by baseballman21 View Post
    Are there any "show cases", camps or clinics in the area where you are applying? I know lots of college coaches will come to these.

The Banditos in Houston, Texas put these on with regularity. I've seen the Univeristy of Texas, University of Arkansas, Major League scouts, and smaller JV schools observing these.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajun Cajun View Post
    Are there any "show cases", camps or clinics in the area where you are applying? I know lots of college coaches will come to these.

The Banditos in Houston, Texas put these on with regularity. I've seen the Univeristy of Texas, University of Arkansas, Major League scouts, and smaller JV schools observing these.
    I attended several UCONN sponsored events... The problem is they need to be run VERY well run in order for the coaches/scout and players to get anything out of them. You may want to ask around and see how many people from these events went beyond the event.

I just stumbled across this wonderful example of a player's recruiting video. I think he's serious. How many things did this guy do wrong? Count them up!

Quote Originally Posted by Ursa Major View Post
    I just stumbled across this wonderful example of a player's recruiting video. I think he's serious. How many things did this guy do wrong? Count them up!
    I bet he went to the Domingo Ayala Online Baseball Academy.

Quote Originally Posted by azmatsfan View Post
    I bet he went to the Domingo Ayala Online Baseball Academy.
    No, I think it was the Domingo Ayala Online Academy of Infomercial Video Production