PDA

View Full Version : Should I let my son swing a drop -3 bat?

Bryton
06-12-2008, 10:03 PM
Ok guys. Here is my question. I have done a lot of reading on here and other places, and I'm looking for some advice or truth, or whatever, but something that is pretty factual, if that is possible. My son just turned 13 2 weeks ago. He is 5'2 and weighs around 120. He is pretty strong. He plays 12U travel baseball. During his games he is currently using a 31/22 Easton Stealth bat. Loves it, hits it a ton, and is currently hitting .460 for the season thru around 30 games. I've read where you should be starting your kid swinging a drop 3 bat now (by age 13) in order for him to start to get ready to play high school ball, as these kids that can hit a ton now with these drop 9 and 10 bats, are in a for a rude awakening when they go to start having to use a drop 3. Is this the case? I did buy him a drop 3 a few weeks ago (31/28), and I have been doing soft toss with him with hit, and using it in the cages, etc... But should I be letting him use this drop 3 for like soft toss, or if I pitch BP to him, or at the cages? I don't let him use it in the games (yet!), but like I said, I have read where you should start getting your kid used to the heavier bat so that he will be strong enough to use it in high school. I also read that as soon as you think they are ready you should start using it in games. Any opinion here on this matter? Please help as I don't want to be doing something now with this that may hurt him later. But let me say this, he has absolutely no trouble swinging this bat, and I actually feel it has helped his bat speed. He is hitting the ball real solid, and even better since he started using the drop 3 for soft toss and cages.
The reason I'm concerned now is that I had a father today from my son's team tell me that I should not be having him use a drop 3 right now as it will actually slow down his bat speed right now. Can this be true? Because it sure doesn't seem like it to me with my son. He is having no trouble right now.
I guess I'm just wanting to know if it is good or not for right now for my son to be practicing with this drop 3, which by the way is a 31/28. Any and all opinions or facts is welcome.
Sorry so long, and thanks.

Baseball gLove
06-12-2008, 10:20 PM
Yes. My son was swinging a 31-28 as a 13 year old. He weighed about 105 lbs. He was also using a 31-26. We noticed the ball was carrying much further with the 31-28. He moved to the 32-29 less than 3 months later. He is now swinging a 33-30 and tempted to move to a 34-31.

Sappy3
06-12-2008, 10:33 PM
Yeah I think it's a good idea that he's using it. I started using a minus 3 at 13 as well. The summer before high school started.

Jake Patterson
06-13-2008, 04:00 AM
Ok guys. Here is my question. I have done a lot of reading on here and other places, and I'm looking for some advice or truth, or whatever, but something that is pretty factual, if that is possible. My son just turned 13 2 weeks ago. He is 5'2 and weighs around 120. He is pretty strong. He plays 12U travel baseball. During his games he is currently using a 31/22 Easton Stealth bat. Loves it, hits it a ton, and is currently hitting .460 for the season thru around 30 games. I've read where you should be starting your kid swinging a drop 3 bat now (by age 13) in order for him to start to get ready to play high school ball, as these kids that can hit a ton now with these drop 9 and 10 bats, are in a for a rude awakening when they go to start having to use a drop 3. Is this the case? My experience from coaching both MS and HS is yes 90% have problems if they do not make the transition earlier.

I did buy him a drop 3 a few weeks ago (31/28), and I have been doing soft toss with him with hit, and using it in the cages, etc... But should I be letting him use this drop 3 for like soft toss, or if I pitch BP to him, or at the cages? I don't let him use it in the games (yet!), but like I said, I have read where you should start getting your kid used to the heavier bat so that he will be strong enough to use it in high school. It's not high school it's when he gets to the big field or school ball. Most states only allow for -3. Legion also only allows for -3 and there is a big move in Legion to move back to wood.

I also read that as soon as you think they are ready you should start using it in games. Any opinion here on this matter? Please help as I don't want to be doing something now with this that may hurt him later. But let me say this, he has absolutely no trouble swinging this bat, and I actually feel it has helped his bat speed. He is hitting the ball real solid, and even better since he started using the drop 3 for soft toss and cages.
The reason I'm concerned now is that I had a father today from my son's team tell me that I should not be having him use a drop 3 right now as it will actually slow down his bat speed right now. Can this be true? This is probably true for most batters.
Because it sure doesn't seem like it to me with my son. He is having no trouble right now.
I guess I'm just wanting to know if it is good or not for right now for my son to be practicing with this drop 3, which by the way is a 31/28. Any and all opinions or facts is welcome.
Sorry so long, and thanks. If he's not having trouble - switch now. What he does on the small field matters not when he gets to the big field, so you may as well set him up for success on the big field now.
Hope this helps

SLBaseballDad
06-13-2008, 08:05 AM
I agree. My oldest turned 12 in April just missing the age change. He's playing Pony this summer and will swing a -5 through the fall and then to a -3next spring.

BTW, while I only have "DAD" experience with this, it seems that if they are swinging with proper mechanics (ie. hips/tilt/rotation) they can get it around surprisingly well.

Chris O'Leary
06-13-2008, 08:12 AM
Ok guys. Here is my question. I have done a lot of reading on here and other places, and I'm looking for some advice or truth, or whatever, but something that is pretty factual, if that is possible. My son just turned 13 2 weeks ago. He is 5'2 and weighs around 120. He is pretty strong. He plays 12U travel baseball. During his games he is currently using a 31/22 Easton Stealth bat. Loves it, hits it a ton, and is currently hitting .460 for the season thru around 30 games. I've read where you should be starting your kid swinging a drop 3 bat now (by age 13) in order for him to start to get ready to play high school ball...

My son, and the kids on his 13U/7th grade teams, all use -5 bats and will use them next year as well.

Stealth
06-13-2008, 08:37 AM
My son, and the kids on his 13U/7th grade teams, all use -5 bats and will use them next year as well.

You should swing a -3 if your in the 8th grade if at all possible.

Bryton
06-13-2008, 09:07 AM
Thanks a lot everyone for all the info. It looks like I'm making the correct move for him. He actually told me that he wants to try it in his game tonight. Like I said, he has been using it in the cages with no problem, so I don't think it will be a big transition for him at all. Thanks for all your help, and more advice is still appreciated.

Jim W.
06-13-2008, 09:34 AM
I think you have sound advice. The weight difference is significant. I had my son swing wood bats in batting practice since 12. When he reached 13 he was using a -5 in games and at 14 he went soley to the -3.

Stealth
06-13-2008, 09:59 AM
I think you have sound advice. The weight difference is significant. I had my son swing wood bats in batting practice since 12. When he reached 13 he was using a -5 in games and at 14 he went soley to the -3.

I agree but will add on to the above;

It really depends on what grade you are in. In the 7th grade a -5 works but when you get to the 8th grade you need to be swinging a -3. Don't go into high school never having swung a -3 in game situations.

Go Cardinals
06-13-2008, 11:05 AM
You should swing a -3 if your in the 8th grade if at all possible.

yes, swing it asap

Bryton
06-13-2008, 11:46 AM
Ok, my son just finished 7th grade and is going into 8th, so I'm assuming from everyone on here, that I should be doing what I'm currently doing, and that is introducing him to the drop 3. Just went to the cages, and again, he has no problem swinging it. He is not behind or anything, so. He said he is going to try it in his game tonight and see how it goes. Thanks for all the help and advice.

wogdoggy
06-13-2008, 12:05 PM
Ok, my son just finished 7th grade and is going into 8th, so I'm assuming from everyone on here, that I should be doing what I'm currently doing, and that is introducing him to the drop 3. Just went to the cages, and again, he has no problem swinging it. He is not behind or anything, so. He said he is going to try it in his game tonight and see how it goes. Thanks for all the help and advice.

now go get him a wood bat for practicing with

Bryton
06-13-2008, 12:11 PM
already been swinging a wood bat for 2 years for practice.

TG Coach
06-13-2008, 02:28 PM
In 13U my son was 5'2", 110. He swung a 32/29 just fine. He had been swinging a -2 wood since he was ten in BP. By 8th grade a kid shouldn't bwe swinging anything but a -3. My son is now fifteen and 5'11", 145. He still swings a 32/29. He's real quick with it now.

callyjr
06-13-2008, 03:23 PM
In 13U my son was 5'2", 110. He swung a 32/29 just fine. He had been swinging a -2 wood since he was ten in BP.

just in BP and practices though right? I can see my boy able to do this by then, we have a hand me down 31/24 that he can swing now.

korp
06-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Ok guys. Here is my question. I have done a lot of reading on here and other places, and I'm looking for some advice or truth, or whatever, but something that is pretty factual, if that is possible. My son just turned 13 2 weeks ago. He is 5'2 and weighs around 120. He is pretty strong. He plays 12U travel baseball. During his games he is currently using a 31/22 Easton Stealth bat. Loves it, hits it a ton, and is currently hitting .460 for the season thru around 30 games. I've read where you should be starting your kid swinging a drop 3 bat now (by age 13) in order for him to start to get ready to play high school ball, as these kids that can hit a ton now with these drop 9 and 10 bats, are in a for a rude awakening when they go to start having to use a drop 3. Is this the case? I did buy him a drop 3 a few weeks ago (31/28), and I have been doing soft toss with him with hit, and using it in the cages, etc... But should I be letting him use this drop 3 for like soft toss, or if I pitch BP to him, or at the cages? I don't let him use it in the games (yet!), but like I said, I have read where you should start getting your kid used to the heavier bat so that he will be strong enough to use it in high school. I also read that as soon as you think they are ready you should start using it in games. Any opinion here on this matter? Please help as I don't want to be doing something now with this that may hurt him later. But let me say this, he has absolutely no trouble swinging this bat, and I actually feel it has helped his bat speed. He is hitting the ball real solid, and even better since he started using the drop 3 for soft toss and cages.
The reason I'm concerned now is that I had a father today from my son's team tell me that I should not be having him use a drop 3 right now as it will actually slow down his bat speed right now. Can this be true? Because it sure doesn't seem like it to me with my son. He is having no trouble right now.
Sorry so long, and thanks.
Well yeah it will slow his speed down since the weight will be greater. Personally I used a -5 when I was 13 and 14 and then dropped for fall ball at the beginning of high school. I would say switch him maybe sometime during his last season before high school and have him hit with it from then on. It doesn't take more than 1/2 a year to fully adjust if he gets enough reps.

Ursa Major
06-14-2008, 01:29 PM
UrsaMinor just finished 8th grade and his first year of Pony 13/14 y/o Spring ball. Because he's thin (105 lbs) and facing some very fast pitching, he used his 32/22 Stealth. Even then was late a lot, but I think that's because he was just making late decisions.

He's playing summer rec ball on the big diamond and we just got him a 32/29, and he's having no problems getting around so far. I think SLBaseball Dad hit it when he said, "BTW, while I only have "DAD" experience with this, it seems that if they are swinging with proper mechanics (ie. hips/tilt/rotation) they can get it around surprisingly well." As long as they aren't using arm swings, the should get the bat moving. I reminded Ursa Minor that, when I was a kid and all we had was wood, I was swing a 32/30 from the time I was eleven and had pretty good success with what (in hindsight) were pretty weak mechanics.

With this said, anyone have a suggestion about what is a good "starter" -3 bat for a 13 year old? Go with stiff or regular flex?

korp
06-14-2008, 02:41 PM
I personally used the connection when I was younger which turned into the stealth. Stiff and regular flex have no bearing on how the ball is hit just how it feels. The stiff feels like more of a dead weight when you hit a ball and the regular feels very springy so its all personal preference. I like the regular flex but now I use the composite because its the best of both worlds.

Jake Patterson
06-14-2008, 02:43 PM
"BTW, while I only have "DAD" experience with this, it seems that if they are swinging with proper mechanics (ie. hips/tilt/rotation) they can get it around surprisingly well." Ursa, I feel you bring more knowlege to the game than many coaches.

Baseball gLove
06-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Stay with the regular flex for now. If he has quick hands and when he puts on 30-40 pounds go to the stiff flex.