PDA

View Full Version : Hornsby and Speaker in the KKK?

Honus Wagner Rules
06-10-2008, 11:37 PM
Is there solid historical evidence that Rogers Hornsby and Tris Speaker were members of the KKK? I know there were rumors that the both were. I'd like to see some hard evidence.

nolanryan5714
06-10-2008, 11:56 PM
While I'm just as curious to know the answer, Honus, we have to remember that this thread can become a disaster.

Hopefully everyone can contribute in a manner that is befitting of Fever.

Thanks....

cbenson5
06-10-2008, 11:59 PM
I know one suggestion that Hornsby was in the KKK came from Emil Fuchs (the Boston Braves President) to a city councilman named William Lynch. Lynch claimed Fuchs made a statement that Hornsvy and Bruce Whitmore (who was on the Braves Board of Directors were KKK members) while Fuchs denied doing so. Sportswriter Fred Lieb claimed that Speaker and Hornsby told him that they were members of the KKK. Charles Alexander addresses this issue on pages 146-47 of his biography of Hornsby. In regard to Hornsby, no solid evidence exists that he was in the KKK to my knowledge. It is all based on speculation and hearsay. I'll look for one of my biographies of Speaker, to see if that issue is addressed in them.

Honus Wagner Rules
06-10-2008, 11:59 PM
While I'm just as curious to know the answer, Honus, we have to remember that this thread can become a disaster.

Hopefully everyone can contribute in a manner that is befitting of Fever.

Thanks....

Hopefully, we can keep the thread on topic. I just want to know what evidence is there for Hornsby and Speaker were in the KKK. As for Hornsby, I believe Fred Lieb claimed that Hornsby confided in him that hew was a member of the KKK.

cbenson5
06-11-2008, 12:16 AM
The only evidence that Mr. Timothy Gay (Tris Speaker: The Rough and Tumble Life of a Baseball Legend) gives that Speaker was in the KKK is the assertion by Fred Lieb. Perhaps, it should be noted that Speaker is from Hubbard, Texas. That was also the hometown of Hiram Wesley Evans who presided as Imperial Wizard of the Klan from 1922-1939 (p. 34).

Honus Wagner Rules
06-11-2008, 12:20 AM
The only evidence that Mr. Timothy Gay (Tris Speaker: The Rough and Tumble Life of a Baseball Legend) gives that Speaker was in the KKK is the assertion by Fred Lieb. Perhaps, it should be noted that Speaker is from Hubbard, Texas. That was also the hometown of Hiram Wesley Evans who presided as Imperial Wizard of the Klan from 1922-1939 (p. 34).

From what I've read Lieb claims that Speaker told him in private that he was a KKK member? is there a time frame for this private conversation?

cbenson5
06-11-2008, 12:29 AM
From what I've read Lieb claims that Speaker told him in private that he was a KKK member? is there a time frame for this private conversation?

I should have listed this in my previous post. The source that Alexander gives in his biography of Hornsby for Liebs allegation is:'
Fred Lieb, Baseball as I Have Known it (New York: Tempo-Grosset and Dunlap, 1977), p. 54. I don't have this book, so I can't reference it. Neither Alexander or Gay give a time frame for these comments. The conversation between Fuchs and Lynch was alleged to have occurred in 1927. Alexander (Rogers Hornsby: A biography) states " It's quite possible, though unproveable, that several years earlier, when the post- World War I Klan movement was at the peak of its membership and influence, Hornsby may have joined the secret organization in Fort Worth (a Klan stronghold) or possibly St. Louis" (pgs. 146-147).