PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Card Errors

03-13-2003, 01:43 PM
Each year when Baseball Cards are printed there are glaring errors made... some deliberately and some by accident. Can you recall a Baseball Card that fits this category?

Mulliganfan
03-13-2003, 04:55 PM
Good topic, 0077!
I remember the 60's baseball card of Aurelio Rodriguez of the California Angels, who was so unknown at the time that they took a picture of the batboy and printed the card as his.
A classic from the '80's showed Billy Ripken with the words F**K FACE on the bat knob, where the # usually goes.
Lew Burdette of the Braves posed as a lefty in a '50's Topps card.

Markus58
03-13-2003, 10:41 PM
I use this example at my job as a visual aid to show what happens when Quality Control is allowed to slacken:

The Cubs had a promising young 22 year old infielder in 1962 and 1963 named Ken Hubbs. Hubbs was the 1962 NL Rookie of the Year, great glove and good hitter. Hubbs also held a private pilot's license, and tragically was killed in Utah while flying his plane in cold weather just before spring training in 1964.

Two years later in 1966, Topps issued the card of Cubs pitcher Dick Ellsworth, but used the image from Hubb's card in 1963. It was never corrected, and to this day remains a collectable error card.

The Commissioner
03-13-2003, 11:19 PM
I remember as a kid turning over my 1981 Donruss card of Leon Durham only to discover that it listed him as having collected something like 926 career homeruns. I don't recall if that's the correct number, but I do remember it had him surpassing Aaron.

Captain Cold Nose
03-14-2003, 04:59 AM
1979 Topps--Bump Wills as both a Blue Jay and Ranger.

1974 Topps-Just about all the Padres, save one Dave Winfield, also had cards saying they played for Washington National League.

Markus58
03-14-2003, 03:51 PM
Then there's that treasured 1972 Billy Martin card when he was managing the Tigers. Apparently the photographer was REALLY getting on Billy's nerves that day, as his face gives away that he is a torrent of controlled rage. But the giveaway is the upsidedown bird that Billy is flipping on the handle of the bat!

Steffo
03-14-2003, 04:08 PM
A 2001 Andruw Jones card I have says he has a total of over 1000 stolen bases.

Captain Cold Nose
03-16-2003, 08:09 AM
I don't know if it was so much a prank as it was a teammate displaying what he thought of Ripken, the manager's son. As the team star, Cal Jr. could be expected to get preferrential treatment, but I have heard a few stories of resentment toward the second sacker.

I always liked the two big errors that happened in 1982. Pascual Perez with no position on the card, and John Littlefield with his photo reversed. I don't think I've seen eother one of those errors.

And both Fleer's and Donruss's first issues (1981, or a comeback in Fleer's case) were so loaded with errors the error cards didn't hold much value over the corrected versions.

03-16-2003, 04:32 PM
Tommy John, 1969 when he was with the CWS, Topps Card#465 shows him completing his follow-through on a pitch. The only problem was you could clearly see the Baseball still lodged in the glove on his right-hand.

As mentioned earlier, Lew Burdette posed as a lefty, without a baseball in the pitching move. Also his name on the Topps Card #440 in 1959 was printed "Lou"

statman
03-22-2003, 07:28 AM
the all time classic is al lieter when he played for the yankees the picture wasn't leiter but the batboy!

Retire21
03-31-2003, 07:56 AM
The "True Story" behind the Ripken error is this:
In a spring training game, Ripken was given the bat with the dirty word on it by Mike Greenwell as a joke (The O's were playing the BoSox). It was never intended for anyone other that the players on the field to actually see the bat.

As for an error, how about the 1989 Score card that proclaimed Wade Boggs had a career .364 batting avg? If that were true, he would have retired then second all time.

And who can forget the 1990 Topps card of Frank Thomas where the company forgot something unimportant like Thomas' name!

brihev
04-03-2003, 04:57 PM
I have two baaseball cards that fit:
a mid 60's card of Twins pitcher Jim Katt (front) but Topps spelled it Kaat on the back.
a 1977 Rod Carew card with Willie Stargell stats on the back.
it wasn't cut perfectly but still a cool card. 2 HoF'ers!!

Hammerin Hank
07-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Here's where you can see the infamous Billy Ripken card:

http://snopes.com/sports/baseball/ripken.htm

LetsGoBucs
07-07-2003, 01:14 PM
I own a Roberto Clemente card that reads his birthplace as New York City, NY

dave bird
07-19-2003, 11:50 AM
My son has a 1997 Carlos Delgado Pinnacle #119. On the back it has a photo of Carlos but on the front it is someone else. I have tried to find info on this but with no luck. Can anybody help?

uthminsta
07-22-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by dave bird
My son has a 1997 Carlos Delgado Pinnacle #119. On the back it has a photo of Carlos but on the front it is someone else. I have tried to find info on this but with no luck. Can anybody help?

1997 Pinnacle card #119 is Troy Percival... so I'm assuming you mean the 1997 New Pinnacle set, which lists Carlos Delgado as card #119.

The Beckett Almanac of Baseball Cards and Collectibles (the BIG book) lists 1997 New Pinnacle Carlos Delgado card #119, but has no mention of the card portraying the wrong player. I've personally never seen the card, but I consider this book to be the most reliable source of information available. It's possible that in a future edition of the Almanac, they will include the information you seek; I have the 7th edition, which I believe to be the latest (c 2002)...

metsfan001
07-28-2003, 09:41 AM
I have a couple of cards like those.

The 2001 UDMVP spells Kenny Rogers' name "Rodgers."

The other one I have is a Topps Stars (1999?) of Mike Lansing without his name on the front.

Biggtone23
08-06-2003, 12:22 PM
I have a card from i belive it was the 1992 or 93 fleer ultra set that has a picture of Bernie Williams on it and has his name on the front but says Gerald Williams on the back.

The 1991 score set has Red Sox reliver Greg Harris pitching Lefty when hes a righty and Cubs outfielder Doug Dacenzeo pitching.

The 1991 Bowman set has both Ken Griffey Sr and Jr with the same card number

dkpiatt
08-06-2003, 06:13 PM
My favorite is the 1990 Upper Deck Bill Buckner card. The First time I saw it the card I noticed right away, as I think any Young Red Sox fan would (still being distraught over 1986), something very funny about the image. There is Buckner on the field with his hands on his knees waiting for the next pitch. His legs are slightly bowlegged and in between them is the tarp rolled up and the opening of the tube is placed so perfectly at this bowlegged opening that it had to be done on purpose. I always laugh at this picture.

And then I cry about '86.

uthminsta
08-08-2003, 08:53 AM
I think the Buckner card HAD to be done on purpose. In my opinion, Upper Deck has always had top-notch photography on their cards. They had plenty of other shots of Buckner to choose from...

And I think that's one of the funniest cards I've ever seen.

Wish I had a scanner. I have a 1972 card depicting an angel (forget right now who it was) and the guy's standing right in front of a huge halo from the stadium, which appears to be hovering right over his head.

4-Man_Rotation
08-08-2003, 10:37 PM
The 1991 score set has Red Sox reliver Greg Harris pitching Lefty when hes a righty and Cubs outfielder Doug Dacenzeo pitching.

Dascenzo pitched in one game for the Cubs in '90 and one in '91. It was some crazy move where the Mets were up by like sixteen runs and they put then-Cubs reliever Les Lancaster in left so Dascenzo could face one or two hitters and then they could bring Lancaster back in.

Something like that ... I was like 12 ...

I do remember he pitched though.

Gracie threw one inning for the D'backs last year.

John Olerud's 1990 Score RC has him listed as a pitcher and 1B ... kinda glad he stuck with a position that offers more ABs, 'ey?

metsfan001
10-03-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by 4-Man_Rotation
John Olerud's 1990 Score RC has him listed as a pitcher and 1B ... kinda glad he stuck with a position that offers more ABs, 'ey?

The Score card actually has him as OF-P. Ironically, he ended up at neither.

10-03-2003, 02:18 PM
The info was probably because of what he did at Washington State.

Olerud showed promise early on at Washington State, where he was named Baseball America's NCAA Player of the Year in 1987 and '88. His senior year, he recovered from a frightening brain aneurysm in January to hit .359 with 30 RBIs in 27 games that spring. The scare would always be with him though, and he began wearing a batting helmet on the field for safety.

Olerud was so promising in college (he set single-season Washington records with a .462 average and 23 homers, and even sported a 15-0 record as a pitcher) that once he was drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays in 1989, he became the 16th player since the amateur draft's inception to skip the minors entirely and go straight to the big leagues. After notching three hits in eight at-bats in the end of that season, the first baseman showed promise with his sweet swing in his rookie year of '90, when he batted a respectable first-year .265.

Utter Chaos
10-03-2003, 04:24 PM
I am an avid baseball card collector and could mention many more errors but I'll just list some of my favorites.

On the back of the 1964 Rookie card of Dave Bennent it says "the 19 year old curve baller is just 18 years old"

The 1969 card of Larry Haney used the same photograph as his 1968 card. The only problem is the negative was reveresed so in 1968 he's catching right handed and in 1969 he's catching left handed.

The 1957 card of Hank Aaron shows him batting left handed because of another reveresed negative photo.

The 1966 (and 1967) cards of Claude Raymond show where he forgot to zip himself up before the photographer arrived. (see photo)

Atlanta Braves Freak
04-08-2004, 09:57 AM
Sorry to bring this year old post back to life, but I couldn't resist telling you guys about this mishap on a card. As I was looking through my extinsive card collection I saw a Cory Aldridge card, for those of you who don't know who he is he's a Braves minor league outifielder, and so I looked at the card and read his stats and how he was injured in 2002. Then I looked at the front of the card and studied it and I didn't remember him being called up in '02 when the Braves wore the 70's throwbacks and I never remember Cory Aldridge being white, so I figured out that Topps made an error in putting Darren Bragg on the front instead of Cory Aldridge. If anyone could find a picture of this card I would be happy, it is Topps Total 2002 Card number 68.

Zito75
04-08-2004, 08:12 PM
Here's a few for you:

1989 UD Dale Murphy- reverse negative.

1989 Donruss Darren Daulton- He was batting lefty in the photo just to mess with the photographer... he really is a righty.

1989 Fleer Tom Brookens and Mike Heath- the fronts and backs of each cards were switched. (also happened with '90 Donruss Nolan Ryan diamond king & all-star cards)

1990 Donruss Juan Gonzalez- reverse negative.

1988 Topps Al Leiter- first printing of card was actually a bat boy pictured on front.

dgarza
04-09-2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by dkpiatt
My favorite is the 1990 Upper Deck Bill Buckner card On a somewhat similar note.
I think it's the 1974 ....Vada Pinson? ... card shows him swinging....and missing...looks like the ball is in the catcher's mitt

angel929
06-16-2005, 10:35 AM
The Card Shows Pedro Martinez With The Signature Of Edgar Martinez Below. :crazy Pedro Martinez Edgar Martinez

Aa3rt
06-16-2005, 01:14 PM
1974 Topps-Just about all the Padres, save one Dave Winfield, also had cards saying they played for Washington National League.

Actually, prior to the start of the 1974 season there were rampant rumors that the Padres would be relocating to Washington. The Padres had drawn poorly in their first 5 seasons in San Diego and were looking for greener pastures so the first Topps printing had Washington-National League on cards with pictures of players in their Padres uniforms. Ray Kroc, of McDonald's fame, purchased the team just prior to the start of the season, ending the hopes Washington had at the time of obtaining another major league franchise. Thanks to some agressive marketing and an improving team, the Padres surpassed the 1 million mark in attendance that season.

I can only guess that Topps wanted to avoid the situation they encountered only a few years earlier, when the Seattle Pilots became the Milwaukee Brewers about one week prior to the start of the season. The 1970 Topps set had the Seattle Pilots, but no Milwaukee Brewers cards, to the best of my knowledge.

westsidegrounds
06-16-2005, 03:41 PM
The 1966 (and 1967) cards of Claude Raymond show where he forgot to zip himself up before the photographer arrived. (see photo)

Oh no. Once, you forget, maybe, but after hearing about it for a whole year ... no way he forgot.

Claude, mon vieux! Alors!

uthminsta
08-09-2005, 12:05 PM
I would bet the two Claude Raymond cards, although from different years of cards, contain photographs from the same day, and the same photo session. Compare the two side by side. Utter Chaos, do you have the card numbers for these two? I wanna see if I have them.

Topps often used photos from previous years on their cards. Sometimes they didnt get enough photographers out to the stadiums to get a good new photo of each player who would be in their new set. Consider how many players they had to photograph, and how many photos they would have to take of each player, just to make sure they got at least one good shot of everyone they were going to include in their set each year.

They also missed out on getting a photo of players in their new uniforms if they were traded or brought up from the minors. That's where airbrushing (often done poorly) came into play, as well as a much more pleasing practice: photos of the player without a hat on. I would bet if you took a thousand 1960's-era cards, and took out all the pictures of guys without hats on, they were nearly all on a different team the year before, or rookies. That might account for the Carl Yastrzemski rookie card mentioned earlier in this thread.

I know there are some instances where the same photo was used for two years of cards. None immediately come to mind from the 1960s era, besides what Utter Chaos has mentioned, but this has even happened in recent years. Somewhere around the 2001 to 2003 Topps sets, the same photo was used on a team card for 2 consecutive years. Topps doctored the photo, putting the team behind a low fence, but the same exact shot was used. I think it was for the Cardinals I will check and scan them side by side when I find them and get time.

But, the bottom line is poor Claude.

Utter Chaos
08-09-2005, 07:06 PM
Claude Raymond cards
1966 - 586
1967 - 364

west coast orange and black
08-10-2005, 09:30 PM
The 1957 card of Hank Aaron shows him batting left handed because of another reveresed negative photo.the backwards number is the giveaway for those who do not know that the hammer is a righty.

west coast orange and black
08-10-2005, 09:37 PM
the topps 1956 hank aaron card unmistakably features willie mays sliding into home.
the jersey was left blank, even.

Utter Chaos
08-11-2005, 06:41 AM
The 1969 card of Larry Haney used the same photograph as his 1968 card. The only problem is the negative was reveresed so in 1968 he's catching right handed and in 1969 he's catching left handed. Here are the two Larry Haney cards. The 1969 card is on the left and the 1968 card on the right.

Utter Chaos
08-11-2005, 06:46 AM
Wish I had a scanner. I have a 1972 card depicting an angel (forget right now who it was) and the guy's standing right in front of a huge halo from the stadium, which appears to be hovering right over his head. Here's the Billy Cowan card from 1972

uthminsta
08-11-2005, 06:55 AM
YES!!! Haha!

BTW, is the 1968 Larry Haney the correct one? I couldn't really tell the jersey number on the guy behind him, but it looked like maybe a 5...?

BoofBonser26
08-11-2005, 07:23 AM
I have Albert Pujols's 2002 Topps card, which shows Placido Polanco's face on the back.

JimAbbott
09-12-2006, 01:19 PM
'85 Donruss Tom Seaver has Lefty Floyd Bannister pictured

angel929
09-18-2006, 01:16 PM
This 2005 card shows Orlando Cabrera. On the back face it says in Home: Cartagena, Colum. Colombia is the correct way for write it in English and Spanish. You can write Colom. for Colombia, but Colum. is incorrect because it is for Columbia that is another place.

Dalkowski110
09-18-2006, 09:51 PM
On Dave Bennett's rookie card ("19... is 18"), he shared it with none other than Rick Wise. Another two interesting cards from 1964 are Jim Umbricht's card, stating that "Jim Umbricht Passed Away" and Archie Skeen's rookie card, stating that he retired to become a teacher. You forgot Bob Uecker's 1965 Topps card where he's shown batting left-handed with a huge grin on his face. The 1976 Topps card of Jesus Alou was reversed ON PURPOSE because the photographer must've realized that Alou was batting from the wrong side of the plate. Check out his Mets cap logo...it's backwards. I think (but would have to check) that the 1933 Goudey set listed Babe Ruth as 150 pounds (LOL) on one of its four cards of the Bambino (I only have one, btw...standing and swinging, but I think they all had the same back). Moe Drabowsky also pitched "lefthanded" in a few Topps cards. His 1958 Topps card also strangely calls him "Mike Drabowsky," a nickname never given to him. The '81 Fleer card (of which I have three...two errors and one correction) of Graig Nettles calls him "Craig Nettles" on the back. Also about a million other errors in that and the '81 Donruss set (I'm now looking at a page which includes a card saying Nolan Ryan pitched for the Houston "Atros."). Upper Deck, Score, and Pinnacle also had a ton of early errors. Donruss also screwed up its math at times with regards to ERA, and never factored in fractional innings. Sherman "Roadblock" Jones' 1961 Topps rookie card shows someone else. Eli Grba's '63 card, at least the big photo of him, shows Ryne Duren. Topps also was famous for its liberal use of the airbrush. But they forgot to change Johnny Callison's 1960 card, showing him with the White Sox, to the Phillies. Jim Perry's 1963 card has his big photo with the Indians, the little photo was corrected to show him with Minnesota, and the card says he's with the Twins. Don Zimmer's '62 Topps card shows him with the Mets, yet says "Reds." And Charley Smith is shown wearing a White Sox uniform in 1964, but the caption says "Mets." I'm just listing these from memory, and will be back with more. I have literally tens of thousands of cards, including quite a few really nice ones, and none are in any particular order. I should really get around to doing that. Some of the 1886-1890 Old Judge poses are absolutely silly. I especially like one of Hoss Radbourne supposedly sliding into a base, but just sorta lounging and resting on his arm as another, unnamed player applies a tag while staring at the camera. On Abner Dalryple's, you can see the VERY thick string holding the ball up. Joe Visner's card shows him ready to field a ball...seemingly oblivious to the one about 6 inches in front of him. Oh, and Frenchy Genins' card spelling his name as "Genius," which is probably the funniest error in baseball card history.

Utter Chaos
09-19-2006, 07:22 AM
On Dave Bennett's rookie card ("19... is 18"), he shared it with none other than Rick Wise. That's one of my favorites. I mentioned it earlier in this thread on 10-03-2003.

The 1976 Topps card of Jesus Alou was reversed ON PURPOSE because the photographer must've realized that Alou was batting from the wrong side of the plate. Check out his Mets cap logo...it's backwards. Alou had another card in which they corrected the error. His 1974 card can be found with OUTFIELD for the postion or blank space where the word outfield should be.

Moe Drabowsky also pitched "lefthanded" in a few Topps cards. His 1958 Topps card also strangely calls him "Mike Drabowsky," a nickname never given to him. I couldnt' find any "lefthanded" Moe Drabowsky cards. I do know that righty Lew Burdette posed lefty in 1959.

Topps also was famous for its liberal use of the airbrush. But they forgot to change Johnny Callison's 1960 card, showing him with the White Sox, to the Phillies. An excellent example of Topps not keeping up with trades can be found on Johnny Lipon's 1954 card (see attached picture). The team name lists Baltimore Orioles, he is shown in the big portrait picture wearing a Boston Red Sox hat and the smaller action photo has him wearing a St. Louis Brown hat. Turning the card over to see what team he actually plays for is no help either because the back has him listed with the Chicago White Sox.

angel929
09-19-2006, 12:26 PM
This card shows on its back face a geography and spelling errors. In English Colombia is the correct way to write it. Columbia is another place. The birth place of the player is Cartagena and not Categena.

Dalkowski110
09-19-2006, 12:28 PM
I thought Drabowsky's rookie card shows him as a lefty, but I could be wrong. I'll need to check on that. Also forgot the two Alou cards (I have both of 'em...1974 with the A's). As for Johnny Lipon's card, shame on me for not noticing that! In a similar vein, I also have the two variations of Bob Uecker's '66 Topps card...one of which says he's been traded, the other doesn't. Don Mueller's '58 Topps card also reports a trade on the back. I have that card! Yet another screwup in '74 from Topps is Bob Apodaca's rookie card. On one it's "Apodaca" and the other it's "Apodaco." Another funny 1954 Topps card is that of Don Liddle, where the small photo of him shows him in an unaltered Braves uniform. The 1954 Bowman card of Johnny Antonelli is one of the best airbrush jobs ever pulled off...from Braves to Giants...except for one little detail. Antonelli's cap features an orange YANKEES logo airbushed on. Richie Ashburn bit his tongue on his '62 Topps card. Check it out, it's kinda funny. And while not an error, the bizarre 1952 Topps card of Gus Zernial is one of my favorites. He's giving the "A-ok" sign with his hand, wearing a pink shirt, and has a bat with six baseballs stuck to it. I also think two Steve Finley cards show him with a fishing rod (both are Upper Deck...one is UD Collector's choice, and the other is the regular series...both are from 1998 I think).

angel929
09-21-2006, 06:44 AM
This card of Ivan Calderon shows a grammar error. On its back face it says in Home, Luiza instead of say Loiza, that is the correct way in English and Spanish to write the name of this town.

angel929
09-21-2006, 11:19 AM
It is not easy to see because of the color of the letter and the background color of the card. On the back it says Luiza instead of Loiza, the correct way to write the name of this town.

Sean Casey
09-22-2006, 10:01 AM
I have a 2005 Bowman Ervin Santana card, but the facsimile signature clearly reads "Johan Santana." The odd part is that it's not the same singature that appears on Johan Santana's card from that year, which also says "Johan Santana" but looks completely different.

Ervin Santana's card:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ERVIN-SANTANA-2005-Bowman-Chrome-Blue-Refractor-091-150_W0QQitemZ200002703229QQihZ010QQcategoryZ98012Q QssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Johan Santana's card:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Johan-Santana-2005-Bowman-Chrome-2004-CY-YOUNG-WINNER_W0QQitemZ8729358663QQihZ006QQcategoryZ98014 QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

moefan
09-28-2006, 03:25 PM
The mistake on Moe's 1957 Cubs card was an error... Mike was his dad's name. Also, (tiny error) on his 1968 Royals card it has his birthday as 7/31/35 and it was 7/21/35. :wa:waving

KingSwisher
09-29-2006, 07:08 AM
The secret lives of baseball card writers:

http://www.slate.com/id/2150516/?nav=navoa

angel929
10-10-2006, 01:32 PM
One card shows in Born: Loiza, Puerto Rico. Another card from the same player shows Fajardo, Puerto Rico.

rockiesfan4ever
10-10-2006, 02:49 PM
I think I have that Ripken Card let me check

DaClyde
10-25-2006, 07:59 AM
In the 1991 Bowman set, Dean Palmer's card has a photo of Dan Peltier. As far as I know, it was never corrected, probably because nobody was collecting Bowman until 1992. 1991 was their first big rookie push, but I think they were still overcoming the stigma of those hideous, oversized cards from 1989.

Then there were the dozens of "error" cards among the 1990 Donruss set, where they left the "TM" off the league logos on the All-Star cards.

rugbyfreak
10-30-2006, 05:48 PM
Sorry if someone posted this--didn't read through them all--but Hank Aaron Topps '57 batting lefty is a classic.

freak

calrb16
11-03-2006, 10:01 AM
I have one of Mike Mussina Topps 2002 that haves an error on winning career totals...http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/pict/88150458548080_0.jpg

Dodgerfan1
11-04-2006, 02:10 AM
The 1985 Topps Gary Pettis card is NOT Gary Pettis. It's his brother.

The 1988 Score card of Greg Walker was originally released as card number '98 of 66.' The error was caught and later changed to '93 of 660.'

Also, I didn't notice if anyone else posted this, but that 1989 Billy Ripken card that had the obscene bat knob had several different variations. After the obscenity had been 'noticed', subsequent cards of BR censored the word with a blur, a black box and scribbling. I'm not sure if any one of those censored cards are worth more than the others, though.

Finally, one I cannot substantiate, but have heard rumors about. Maybe someone can validate/refute it. The 1989 Score card of Paul Gibson originally had, in the background, another player or coach scratching his crotch. When it brought attention, the offending arm was airbrushed over.

ButchCDPR
12-31-2006, 02:11 PM
And who can forget the 1990 Topps card of Frank Thomas where the company forgot something unimportant like Thomas' name!

Ijustr found this site so sorry if this is a old post LOL. I pulled the Frank THomas back in 1990. It was missing more then his name... it was missing him as well. I was a kid then and thought it was junk so I ripped it up and tossed it....

anjo25
01-01-2007, 10:37 AM
I have a Billy Koch card, I think it's Fleer, I'm not sure what year. On the back, there are pitch splits (0-100 Pitches 101-120 and so on...) Instead of pitches it said itches, probably some printing mistake, still funny. I'll scan it soon.

Dalkowski110
01-01-2007, 10:52 AM
For 2006 Bowman Heritage...Card BHP34 Michael Hollimon of the Tigers is given the back (including card number) of BHP20 Mark Holliman of the Cubs. 1995 Topps Traded also switches photos of Carlos Beltran and Juan LeBron.

Edgartohof
01-01-2007, 12:44 PM
As for an error, how about the 1989 Score card that proclaimed Wade Boggs had a career .364 batting avg? If that were true, he would have retired then second all time.

Well, they weren't off by TOO much, considering, through the end of the 1988 season, he had a .356 career BA - not .364, but pretty darn close!

Budtaff
01-03-2007, 11:17 AM
The first Fleer set in 1981 had Graig Nettles spelled Craig. They corrected it and there were two versions floating around.

Dalkowski110
01-03-2007, 06:41 PM
Yes. The "Craig" spelling is rather difficult to find and books for $10 versus the "Graig" version's ten cents. I have both.

JamesWest
01-03-2007, 07:40 PM
Yes. The "Craig" spelling is rather difficult to find and books for $10 versus the "Graig" version's ten cents. I have both.

Wasn't Craig only used on the back of the card?

ironman
01-06-2007, 08:23 PM
I know this hasn't been posted on for a while but recently in SI's faces in the crowd special issue rick reilly wrote an article about this

Zito75
01-06-2007, 10:07 PM
I have a Billy Koch card, I think it's Fleer, I'm not sure what year. On the back, there are pitch splits (0-100 Pitches 101-120 and so on...) Instead of pitches it said itches, probably some printing mistake, still funny. I'll scan it soon.

WEIRD... You need to see this link to see why that is so ironic!

http://www.ktvu.com/news/9264350/detail.html

steve from philly
03-07-2007, 08:10 AM
In light of the Jeter "error" I was reading this thread of other errors, and some of these posts are well worth revisiting. Here's one from 2005:

<<I know there are some instances where the same photo was used for two years of cards. None immediately come to mind from the 1960s era, besides what Utter Chaos has mentioned, but this has even happened in recent years. Somewhere around the 2001 to 2003 Topps sets, the same photo was used on a team card for 2 consecutive years. Topps doctored the photo, putting the team behind a low fence, but the same exact shot was used. I think it was for the Cardinals I will check and scan them side by side when I find them and get time.>>

Actually, the "wall" put in front of many Topps team photos in recent years--which looks like crap, in my opinion--is (as I understand) put there to block out batboys, whose permission Topps has apparently decided it would need to show them but which it has decided not to try to get. It's pretty goofy to me. It seems like an over-cautious lawyer that has advised them on this, and it really makes for ugly cards. You can barely see the head and shoulders of the players in the front, and it looks fake, because why would a team pose behind a wall that blocked much of the front row?

Also, Topps re-used the same team photos for multiple years, especially in the 1960s. It's not a new thing, although they appear to have gotten away from it starting in the 1970s.

I always loved those Cubs "floating head" team shots. I guess they never bothered to take team photos. I wonder why?

Also, is it true that Barry Bonds doesn't appear in most recent Giants team photos? Somewhere I read that people were surprised he showed up on team photo day (either last year or this year--I forget) since he hadn't been doing so in the past. I need to check my recent Giants team cards.

BoofBonser26
03-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Donruss used the same Cliff Lee photo on at least two dozen cards. I've got at least 20 cards with the same picture from different sets and years.

skillzilla
03-15-2007, 02:00 PM
I have a few, all from base Topps factory sets:

1997--Jeffrey Hammonds has 0 for all his 1996 stats (he was healthy and did play that season)

2002--On Art Howe, a reference is made to "Murk" Mulder.

2002--Omar Daal lost 29 games in 1999.

2002--Travis Lee played 200 games in 2000.

2000--Chad Ogea has Randy Wolf's 1999 stats...even though Randy didn't even get a base card that year

2002--Brian Jordan drew 560 walks in 2001 alone

2002--Eric Davis stole 60 bases in 2001...even though he played just 92 games

2001, 1998--Michael Tucker has two base cards, for some reason.

2001--Brian Meadows has two base cards.

2001--prospect card features Jake PeavEy

1999--Topps put key awards next to corresponding year won on player's cards...Rickey Henderson's 1990 MVP not listed

pirate fan
08-08-2007, 01:19 PM
My favorite is the 1990 Upper Deck Bill Buckner card. The First time I saw it the card I noticed right away, as I think any Young Red Sox fan would (still being distraught over 1986), something very funny about the image. There is Buckner on the field with his hands on his knees waiting for the next pitch. His legs are slightly bowlegged and in between them is the tarp rolled up and the opening of the tube is placed so perfectly at this bowlegged opening that it had to be done on purpose. I always laugh at this picture.

And then I cry about '86. i have the same card, its pretty wierd

pirate fan
08-08-2007, 01:21 PM
Ijustr found this site so sorry if this is a old post LOL. I pulled the Frank THomas back in 1990. It was missing more then his name... it was missing him as well. I was a kid then and thought it was junk so I ripped it up and tossed it.... i did the same thing to a jeff conine and others, but then i learned to just keep them

Big Lou1224
08-12-2007, 12:47 PM
I have a 2005 Bowman Ervin Santana card, but the facsimile signature clearly reads "Johan Santana." The odd part is that it's not the same singature that appears on Johan Santana's card from that year, which also says "Johan Santana" but looks completely different.

Ervin Santana's card:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ERVIN-SANTANA-2005-Bowman-Chrome-Blue-Refractor-091-150_W0QQitemZ200002703229QQihZ010QQcategoryZ98012Q QssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Johan Santana's card:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Johan-Santana-2005-Bowman-Chrome-2004-CY-YOUNG-WINNER_W0QQitemZ8729358663QQihZ006QQcategoryZ98014 QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

in case you didn't know...Ervin's real name is Johan Santana...he changed it to Ervin BECAUSE of the Johan Santana we all know.

Tyrus4189Cobb
08-12-2007, 03:28 PM
I don't know if anyone's mentioned it, but I believe there was a card with a player who had the f-word on his bat.

baseballtep
08-24-2007, 09:20 AM
Finally, one I cannot substantiate, but have heard rumors about. Maybe someone can validate/refute it. The 1989 Score card of Paul Gibson originally had, in the background, another player or coach scratching his crotch. When it brought attention, the offending arm was airbrushed over.

Heres the Proof

Dalkowski110
08-24-2007, 10:04 AM
"in case you didn't know...Ervin's real name is Johan Santana...he changed it to Ervin BECAUSE of the Johan Santana we all know."

Wrong. That one's an urban legend, though I've heard it before. Baseball-reference.com will mention if a player has changed his name or not, and what said player's birthname was. Here's Ervin's BBREF page...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/santaer01.shtml

He was born Ervin Ramon Santana, and is a second cousin of Pedro Martinez, as well. Also, even if he changed his name, well...contrast the signatures on this baseball card, 2006 Bowman Originals (2005 Bowman Chrome Draft autograph)...

Even Melky Cabrera, who PRINTED his name on his Topps contract; you could tell the signature was his on his autographed card due to the unique way he signs the letters "a" and (especially) "y." But there is literally NO similarity between the two signatures on this card of Ervin Santana. Note especially the loops on the capital letters, which should be consistent if the same person signed it, but they are not. Note the letter "t" in both last names; Ervin slants it with a rather exaggerated style, but Johan keeps it extremely straight. In fact, Ervin signs the letter "S" totally differently than Johan.

NJMetfan4life
08-25-2007, 06:51 PM
Heres the Proof

:laugh thats funny :laugh

Muncus Agruncus
05-05-2013, 10:37 AM
I am an avid baseball card collector and could mention many more errors but I'll just list some of my favorites.

On the back of the 1964 Rookie card of Dave Bennent it says "the 19 year old curve baller is just 18 years old"

The 1969 card of Larry Haney used the same photograph as his 1968 card. The only problem is the negative was reveresed so in 1968 he's catching right handed and in 1969 he's catching left handed.

The 1957 card of Hank Aaron shows him batting left handed because of another reveresed negative photo.

That Bennett thing is funny. I will track down that card at a show.

A couple years ago I bought a pack of 1986 Topps cards. Two of the cards (Johnny Grubb and Keith Atherton) had nothing on the back. I am sure they are worth next to nothing but I will hold onto them.

The 1989 Brian Downing Donruss Diamond Kings card features a reverse drawing of Downing and the name "Perez".

Macker
05-05-2013, 11:07 AM
"in case you didn't know...Ervin's real name is Johan Santana...he changed it to Ervin BECAUSE of the Johan Santana we all know."

Wrong. That one's an urban legend, though I've heard it before. Baseball-reference.com will mention if a player has changed his name or not, and what said player's birthname was. Here's Ervin's BBREF page...

He was born Ervin Ramon Santana, and is a second cousin of Pedro Martinez, as well.

There are numerous sources that say Ervin Santana was born Johan. I can't say for certain that they are true, but there are birth names listed on Baseball-reference.com are simply wrong. They also have a pronunciation guide, and some of them are wrong, also.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/friv/baseball-player-name-pronunciation-guide.shtml

Ben Grimm
05-05-2013, 11:33 AM
There are numerous sources that say Ervin Santana was born Johan. I can't say for certain that they are true, but there are birth names listed on Baseball-reference.com are simply wrong. They also have a pronunciation guide, and some of them are wrong, also.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/friv/baseball-player-name-pronunciation-guide.shtml

I remember it being Johan as well back in '02 or '03. I used to follow John Sickels' prospect updates, and he began putting Johan in parentheses and added Ervin.

Herr28
05-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Someone on the first page of this thread, back in what 2003, said that a Greg Harris card was an error because it showed him pitching with his left hand. Not true, as many of you all know. Harris could pitch with either hand, and for years it was expected that he may just do it to be the first. Never did, but you can see his glove with the double stitching in some cards of his in the 90s while with the Sox, he could flip the glove inside out and place it on the other hand. So, even though he didn't pitch lefty in any game during his career, he still did toss the ball with that hand. I think the card was probably just showing that fact about Greg.

I have a set that went with a baseball trivia board game that was put out in 1987. The Cardinals John Tudor was misspelled as "Tutor". I also had a card from the late 80s that wasn't from the big names (Topps, Fleer, Donrus, Score or Upper Deck) and I don't remember now where it came from, but Mark McGwire's name was spelled McGuire.

Macker
05-05-2013, 01:30 PM
But Harris DID pitch lefty in a game with the Expos at the end of his career.

ipitch
05-05-2013, 01:58 PM
Here's the Dave Bennett card.

Ben Grimm
05-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Anybody remember which card was taken off the market just after printing because it violated the new "Rookie" designation?

ipitch
05-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Anybody remember which card was taken off the market just after printing because it violated the new "Rookie" designation?

2006 Topps Alex Gordon?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-ALEX-GORDON-TOPPS-297-ORIGINAL-RARE-CARD-/160976748002?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item257af63de2

Ben Grimm
05-06-2013, 03:19 PM
2006 Topps Alex Gordon?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-ALEX-GORDON-TOPPS-297-ORIGINAL-RARE-CARD-/160976748002?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item257af63de2

Yeah that's it - thanks much!

Utter Chaos
05-08-2013, 09:36 AM
One of the strangest variations I've seen is with Darrell Jackson's card number 555 from the 1982 Fleer set. One version shows him with a red hat and the other has him in a black hat.

Herr28
05-08-2013, 09:48 AM
But Harris DID pitch lefty in a game with the Expos at the end of his career.

Did he?! That's awesome! I always wondered why he wouldn't do it! Did he switch from right to left during the game? I read back then that that may have caused a rule issue, or maybe they didn't have anything in the rule book about it yet. Someone compared it to switch hitting, where a batter has to finish a PA from the same side of the dish, and can't switch during that PA. I don't think there was anything in the book about a P switching from right to left during a game or an AB. Glad he did it! Good job Greg!

Macker
05-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Yes, Harris switch-pitched during the same game. Knowing that Harris might switch-pitch, MLB had already issued a directive to umpires on how to handle a switch-pitcher. The pitcher must stay with the same arm for the entire at bat (unless there is a pinch-hitter during the count.) When Harris was with the Red Sox, manager Butch Hobson told him he would allow him to switch-pitch in a game if he could show that he could throw 7 of 10 strikes with the opposite arm. Harris could do it, but Hobson still wouldn't allow it. When he went to the Expos, he got his chance to switch-pitch.

Herr28
05-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Yes, Harris switch-pitched during the same game. Knowing that Harris might switch-pitch, MLB had already issued a directive to umpires on how to handle a switch-pitcher. The pitcher must stay with the same arm for the entire at bat (unless there is a pinch-hitter during the count.) When Harris was with the Red Sox, manager Butch Hobson told him he would allow him to switch-pitch in a game if he could show that he could throw 7 of 10 strikes with the opposite arm. Harris could do it, but Hobson still wouldn't allow it. When he went to the Expos, he got his chance to switch-pitch.

This is great news to me! I was such a fan as a kid when I found this out about Harris! He had gone to the Sox and was in the weak starting rotation back then and I always hoped he would do it! When I never heard anything about it, I figured he wasted his chance. I even bought a glove for my right hand and learned to throw with my left, which I can still do (though I am not the hardest thrower with either arm)! Some wanted to be like Mike then, me I wanted to be like Greg! Go figure, I guess I've made worse choices than that...

I must have been stationed over in Germany at the time, and missed a whole lot of baseball during the last half of the 90s. Thanks a lot for sharing this information! I truly appreciate it! It's like a hero has been reborn!

westsidegrounds
05-08-2013, 06:59 PM
Here's the Dave Bennett card.

It's the exclamation mark that really makes this an all time great.

Muncus Agruncus
05-12-2013, 06:32 AM
Yadier Molina's 2013 Topps card reads, "With 1,022 hits, Molina is 3,727 away from the all-time record of 3,234."

Macker
05-12-2013, 07:16 AM
Yadier Molina's 2013 Topps card reads, "With 1,022 hits, Molina is 3,727 away from the all-time record of 3,234."

Even if they had their math right, it's a ridiculous thing to put on the card.